My first Holz Huasen (Mietz)...and thoughts/ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really happy with the BB so far. Its survived its first firewood season. It cuts almost too fast for felling smallish Ponderosa. You have to really sneak up on the felling cuts or it overshoots. I'm talking ~12-14" Ponderosa. last time I tested it wont hang with by buddies 385xp but he was using a new out of the box stihl chain vs my garbage bin score stihl chain. It weighs less than his 385xp. I cut at 8K feet and it wont quite pull an 8 pin but otherwise it does make some power. I say go for the BB.

I bought mine of fleabay after giving up on the homodepots. I paid twice what you did for it and I had to put a new top end on it no matter what as somebody trashed the factory one. I've got ~$450 in mine and think it was worth every penny. Go for it. worst case you don't like it and have to put the original top end back on it. You won't regret it though.

bullittman

Its a home depot 6401. Scored it for $141. :clap:

Here's my post when I first got it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=141904

I see you have the BB. How do you like it? I'm thinking of going that route, but just a little hesitant. Definitely upgrading with either the OEM or BB.

So you got a grand total of $141 invested in a 6401. First of all...I hate you!
second of all for another $150 you can have that great saw run like a raped ape and you are "thinking" about it????:dizzy:

I'd run my BB with any 460 or my 385 any day. My BB is the first horse out of the stall unless the real big stuff is in the cards...(then its 066 or 395 time.)

I ain't man enough for 3120 or 088 time yet....

Thanks for all the encouragment on the BB. That was really the one I was leaning towards, but just some of the reviews on quality and finish made me hesitant. I know I don't have alot in my saw yet, but I'd hate to put on a bad top end and wind up ruining the whole saw.

Aside from the top end replacement what else can I do to make it a better saw. I know that there is the HD air filter, which is a definite, and a muffler mod (I've seen the 7301 mod thread), but what else. What is an 8 pin? Is that the sprocket? I'm learning all of this as I go, so sorry.

An 8 pin is a bigger sprocket than what it came with. Factory runs a 7 pin. If a saw has the stones to pull it a bigger sprocket pulls more chain and should cut faster. At altitude on my BB it only makes the saw a bit easier to bog down. It wasn't much faster. At lower elevations I bet it a different story though. I don't know how important the MM is on the dolmars. I think the consensus on the chain saw board is it not necessary with the 7900s. The chain saw board can answer all of your question about such things.

Bullittman

Thanks bullitman. I'll check it out more on the chainsaw board. I've read about it before, but never seen a really good explanation and how to thread.

Latest posts

Back