My first rebuild, an old Stihl 026 I picked up for $50 years ago.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found these numbers on chain brake 0000 967 3611 and 1121 792 9101

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

1121 is the 024/026 part # code. It's more than likely a mid production 026. You can confirm by measuring the bore which is probably 44mm. Parts on these saws get swapped around but 024s never had clear tanks as far as I know. Also the 026s changed from riveted tags to non riveted as time went on. You can always call stihl with the serial # or post it up. It's on the clutch side of the muffler.

also picked up an 031 as well

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

just bought this whole kit for 19 bucks.

s-l500.jpg
I just noticed this was an off brand replacement part. Farmers something rather. I hope it suffices.

farmer-tec ?

i've bought a lot of their stuff-- it is mostly decent-- i've built entire saws from china "junk" , and so far their running well--

I just noticed this was an off brand replacement part. Farmers something rather. I hope it suffices.
My advice to you is to use the parts that are still on the saw (the oem ones) and use the ones from the kit that you need.
It looks like you have most of the brake parts. The brake handle (flag) is usually pretty good quality in the chinese kits. The inner guts -- not so much so.

Keep us posted about the durability of this kit. I've been building 026/MS260 saws for many years. I've yet to find an aftermarket cylinder kit that comes close to the quality of the OEM parts. You may also want to check the thickness of that cylinder gasket. It just may be that with the combination of it and the heavy squish it will come out with significantly low compression. Thanks in advance for keeping us posted.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...87293710-2a1c94b02ea688bfefb0872be9c2b153.jpg

So the new jug came with an extra hole for the decompression valve that my saw didn't have so I plugged it with a spark plug and it seemed to take a while to get fuel going to it but when it came, it was on fire and easy to start and restart.

It sounded unlike any chainsaw I've ever heard, but I only have exposure to newer saws.

Despite having a muffler installed it seemed terribly noisy. I'll have to post a video after I tune it tomorrow to see what you guys think. I'm a little scared, lol.

The chinese handle seemed to fit fine and work well.

So did we put the plug in just to plug the decomp hole? (Just checking). The plugs for these are fairly inexpensive (decomp plugs that is).
Looks like you did a good job getting it back together from what I can see.

Despite having a muffler installed it seemed terribly noisy. I'll have to post a video after I tune it tomorrow to see what you guys think. I'm a little scared, lol.
The newer EPA saws with restricted mufflers are indeed quieter. I think that some of the muffler restriction in newer mufflers is actually because of OSHA noise limits. It also helps EPA as well.

Can you post a photo of the inside of the front cover of the muffler to see which variant you actually have. Did this one also have a baffle in the back of the muffler? Did you remove it?

Back