My first rebuild, an old Stihl 026 I picked up for $50 years ago.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer EPA saws with restricted mufflers are indeed quieter. I think that some of the muffler restriction in newer mufflers is actually because of OSHA noise limits. It also helps EPA as well.

Can you post a photo of the inside of the front cover of the muffler to see which variant you actually have. Did this one also have a baffle in the back of the muffler? Did you remove it?
I only took the screen out.

13726-1487295856-02409b40dc088908473b906b8eccbf06.jpg

That's the best muffler cover without modification. The most opened up. Some just had a single hole like that.

So did we put the plug in just to plug the decomp hole? (Just checking). The plugs for these are fairly inexpensive (decomp plugs that is).
Looks like you did a good job getting it back together from what I can see.
I'll have to find something to plug it with soon. Maybe it's pipe thread.

Do you have a good dealer close, stihl makes a plug. They're cheap, I'm not sure what the thread type is.

Well the oil pump obviously works as well. I never did check the crank seals. I won't let it run lean though. I'll tune it right where it 4 strokes in cut occasionally.

Well I've figured something out about the clanking noise, it comes from the flywheel pull starter mechanism. I can hear it when I'm pulling the cord and the engine isn't running.

Should not run it long with the top cover off. That directs air across the cylinder to cool it. Nice job though.

Should not run it long with the top cover off. That directs air across the cylinder to cool it. Nice job though.
I'm kinda excited because I've always wanted a great saw at that size but wish the oiler didn't run at idle. My other saws are 40cc and 70cc so 48cc is a nice inbetween.

Latest posts

Back