My first red saw, hope it's a good one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormP

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've run chainsaws to cut firewood and clear property for around 30 years, but it was always a Stihl or homelite because that's what my father and later my boss had when I worked for them. Currently I personally own a couple Husqvarnas. A 372xp, an old rancher 55 and a little 435 for limbing. I'm not a small engine mechanic, just a user. Anyway enough rambling.

I found a Jonsered 2152C that looked like it was in good shape so I came to the forums to see if it was a decent saw. Most discussion was about the catalytic muffler, but other than that it seems the opinion is that it's a good 50cc "pro" saw. The guy let me start it, cranked on second pull after the full choke cough. Ran good and looked good other than dirty.

I can't do a compression check so I did the only thing I know, the "hold the starter cord trick" and it slowly unwound itself.

So I went back and haggled a little with the guy and got him to sell it to me for $110. Does that seem like a fair price based on the limited description I gave and the few pictures I snapped with my phone when I got home?
951be4fb40c0206a5d71d8331ee434f8.jpg

2084a0fdc9b79d40d2caab46136c801e.jpg

247fbb9b5221fd7bafac1005988c6749.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Good deal on a great little saw. Check the intake clamp. if its plastic, throw it away and do the metal clamp upgrade and toss the cat muffler in favor of a FarmerTec unit. Trim the limiter caps and richen her up a little. Theyre cheap on fleabay and the saw will be much happier and run better. Enjoy.

Straight swap for a non-cat muffler. The cat muffler hold a lot of heat.

Ok good, that's what I was hoping for. I'll track down a regular muffler and bolt it on.

Nobody sells Jonserads around here that I know of. I knew one guy that ran one, and I was impressed. At $110 and it runs okay, then you stole it.

To my non-mechanic eyes and ears, it ran just like any solid-running chainsaw I've used in the past. I still need to put it in some wood and see how it does at that point, then we'll see if it was actually a good deal. I'm not too concerned honestly, because I've always heard good stuff about the Jonsereds and I figured it was worth a gamble for the price.

I needed it like I need a hole in the head, but some of you probably know how that goes.

Ok good, that's what I was hoping for. I'll track down a regular muffler and bolt it on.

To my non-mechanic eyes and ears, it ran just like any solid-running chainsaw I've used in the past. I still need to put it in some wood and see how it does at that point, then we'll see if it was actually a good deal. I'm not too concerned honestly, because I've always heard good stuff about the Jonsereds and I figured it was worth a gamble for the price.

I needed it like I need a hole in the head, but some of you probably know how that goes.
We have a saying around here when someone gets a great deal, YOU SUCK!:cool:

I don't think the guy really knew what he had. He did say he won't fool with poulan/craftsman/etc., so he knows what brands are well-respected, but I doubt he pays much attention to the different classes of chainsaw as far as part-time/full-time work saws.

Which really I don't pay a whole lot of attention to either, since I have cut what seems like 5 million cords with the old Stihl 026 and it never let me down. But still, it's a good feeling to get deals like this from time to time.

Back