my first splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD-tech-NH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a splitter tonight. I bought a 4 year old wallenstein
14-e wood splitter. It has a 4 way wedge and a honda 9hp motor that runs great. It takes a 25" log. I got a smokin deal but when I picked it up the gentleman that I purchased it fom was concerned about how slow it had been operating. He said that last year it was twice as fast as it is now. Does anyone have any experience with these? Does this splitter have a two stage pump? Any input would be great.

Tim

Slow usually has to do with oil flow, or lack of it. Easy fixes are - Low on oil, filter or screen partly plugged, a hose that's sucking flat or blocked?, valve problem [not opening enough] and lastly the pump.

Agree with Mike

Also check the push block to be sure something isn't caught underneath or it's binding. Sometimes a little grease can work wonders. If the push block requires too much pressure just to move, the pump will stay on the low flow setting.

Does the cylinder retract quickly or is the entire cycle slow? Pump may be stuck in low flow-high pressure mode. I would estimate that splitter should have a no load cycle time of 10 to 12 seconds.

Take Care

Well I got a chance to really run it today. I split 2-3 cords of button wood. It was painfully slow and had very little power. So I took a trip to napa and picked up a new filter and a gallon of dextron 3. WOW what a difference it took the whole gallon. I figured it made sense to check the hyd oil with the cylinder extended. Is this correct? It will split a log sideways. Very impressed. That Honda runs awesome and didn't use much fuel in the time I ran it. Thanks for all the input !

Tim:clap:

Last edited:
Well I got a chance to really run it today. I split 2-3 cords of button wood. It was painfully slow and had very little power. So I took a trip to napa and picked up a new filter and a gallon of dextron 3. WOW what a difference it took the whole gallon. I figured it made sense to check the hyd oil with the cylinder extended. Is this correct? It will split a log sideways. Very impressed. That Honda runs awesome and didn't use much fuel in the time I ran it. Thanks for all the input !

Tim:clap:

I usually check the hydraulic with the cylinder sucked in. Get too much fluid in there and it will puke it out (self leveling)...maybe not on all models though. It sure won't hurt it, just make a mess possibly.

Last edited:
Did the pump sound rattly?

Like the oil was being aerated? If that is the case it might be time to drain all the oil and start over with new oil. If it was a gallon low and spilling out of the top.It sounds to me like the oil is getting air mixed in.

Like the oil was being aerated? If that is the case it might be time to drain all the oil and start over with new oil. If it was a gallon low and spilling out of the top.It sounds to me like the oil is getting air mixed in.

Don't ask me how it got to be a gallon low. Who knows, it being used. Perhaps the previous owner attempted an oil change on his own and didn't put enough in. I imagine that a hydrolic pump pumping air would cause aeration and some kooky pressures in the oil bag. Now with the proper amount of oil it works flawlessly. The cycle time is maybe ten seconds. I split some big oak crotches with it and it didn't shutter. Awesome splitter.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all worked out great, those Honda engines are fantastic, start easy, quiet, and fuel effiecient! If they only made a motorcycle like that, emmmmm, I guess they do! :clap: cheers

I am upgrading my northern splitter to a GX240 anf 16GPM pump, with reports like this about the engines, I can't wait!

Glad to hear it all worked out great, those Honda engines are fantastic, start easy, quiet, and fuel effiecient! If they only made a motorcycle like that, emmmmm, I guess they do! :clap: cheers

You meet the nicest people on a honda. They make great bikes but I can't say that in public too much, being a mechanic for the dark side!

Latest posts

Back