my first stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saw

Now get it in some wood when you reach about 10 tanks thru it you'll noticed a difference then when you get to 20 tanks thru it you'll have a huge smile on your face :msp_biggrin:

yes pretty nice gift for myself.

it ended up being a little heavier than i wanted. prob could have stayed with the 16" i originally had on it. but hey, live and learn....maybe i need both:bang:

yes pretty nice gift for myself.

it ended up being a little heavier than i wanted. prob could have stayed with the 16" i originally had on it. but hey, live and learn....maybe i need both:bang:

Is your 16" chain green? I like my 026 and 028 to wear 18" bars with RS (yellow) chain for the most part but when I need to do some pruning I like my 16" bar with the RM (green) chain.
I was switching between 20" full comp and 25" full skip on my 038 depending on what I was cutting.

Since I got my MS660 I don't use the 25" on my 038 much any more. :rock:

Is your 16" chain green? I like my 026 and 028 to wear 18" bars with RS (yellow) chain for the most part but when I need to do some pruning I like my 16" bar with the RM (green) chain.
I was switching between 20" full comp and 25" full skip on my 038 depending on what I was cutting.

Since I got my MS660 I don't use the 25" on my 038 much any more. :rock:

Yes. But I returned it to the dealer. Thought I'd be better with the 18 set-up. Now second guessing me decision.

Yes. But I returned it to the dealer. Thought I'd be better with the 18 set-up. Now second guessing me decision.

Don't worry about it

Just enjoy the saw the way it should be enjoyed by running the piss out of it :msp_biggrin:

Yellow chain vs green chain just refers to whether it's "safety chain" or commercial use chain. RM chain is yellow, and RM chain is semi-chisel.

Should beat the hand saw

If you can start it! BTW, have you started it? I mean, like going out to the garage every couple of hours and starting it, flooding it, #####in' about this new POS that won't start? Is that in the new 261 manual, amybe some sort of new break-in ritual????? There was a thread about another new 261 and all the "issues" it was having, so I was just wonderin'.:popcorn:

I agree with, "RUN IT!"

The extra 2 inches on the 18" bar may not seem like much, but that extra reach is really nice to have. And RS chain cuts better and faster than RM.

Therefore, your saw is now BETTER than when it left the dealer. :msp_thumbup:

Great saw! H2H is 110% correct about how long it takes to get them broke in, 15-20 tanks and they rip. My two get the snot run out of them day in by the guys in the firewood operation, I hate to guess the hours on the first one, two years of hard commercial daily use in a firewood op, not one hiccup, the second one has only got a little over a full season on it, same thing, just run 91 oct and Ultra at 50:1 and run the pizz out of them. Ours our set up with the 18" and we love them, I'd love to try a 9 pin and a 14" just for They are one tough well built saw.. 261 rep sent!

Yellow chain vs green chain just refers to whether it's "safety chain" or commercial use chain. RM chain is yellow, and RM chain is semi-chisel.

Both can be used commercially....i have a good friend that works for a small logging outfit out in montana..they run alot of semi chisel..it holds its edge alot longer in many conditions..i think its a misconception that " yellow chain " is pro and " green chain " is for homeowners..thats simply not the case..i personally like semi chisel for firewood cutting..it definately keeps its edge longer !

Both can be used commercially....i have a good friend that works for a small logging outfit out in montana..they run alot of semi chisel..it holds its edge alot longer in many conditions..i think its a misconception that " yellow chain " is pro and " green chain " is for homeowners..thats simply not the case..i personally like semi chisel for firewood cutting..it definately keeps its edge longer !

Actually, semi chisel also comes in green and yellow versions. The colors only separate some type of anti kickback feature (green) from a chain without any extra bumps or sails to aid in reducing a kickback (yellow).

Stihl has RSC and RMC, they're both "yellow" non-safety chain. They also have RSC3 and RMC3 which are "green" safety chain.

Actually, semi chisel also comes in green and yellow versions. The colors only separate some type of anti kickback feature (green) from a chain without any extra bumps or sails to aid in reducing a kickback (yellow).

Stihl has RSC and RMC, they're both "yellow" non-safety chain. They also have RSC3 and RMC3 which are "green" safety chain.

You further validated my point..its not pro vs homeowner

Latest posts

Back