my first stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just asking

Both can be used commercially....i have a good friend that works for a small logging outfit out in montana..they run alot of semi chisel..it holds its edge alot longer in many conditions..i think its a misconception that " yellow chain " is pro and " green chain " is for homeowners..thats simply not the case..i personally like semi chisel for firewood cutting..it definately keeps its edge longer !

You further validated my point..its not pro vs homeowner

Do you know the difference between the yellow and green chains? It has nothing to do with the cutter shape, semi versus full chisel. The green chains have a humped tie strap reducing the chance of kickback, hence being pushed towards homeowners. The yellow chains do not have the kickback reducing tie straps, hence being pushed towards pros with exceptional cutting needs.

I'm pretty sure stihl does not make chains that end in 1 or 2 (triple humped tie strap) any longer. Stihl chains that end in 3 have a single humped drive link and will actually bore cut acceptably. I use 63PS3 (green) chain on my MS192TC and it cuts better than 63PM (yellow) chain. I prefer 26RM3 (green) on my MS260 PRO for limbing and brushing (<6" dia.) because it is not too grabby and comfortable to run. If I need more speed, well, just break out the MAGNUM wearing 8-pin and 33RS!

Last edited:
Do you know the difference between the yellow and green chains? It has nothing to do with the cutter shape, semi versus full chisel. The green chains have a humped tie strap reducing the chance of kickback, hence being pushed towards homeowners. The yellow chains do not have the kickback reducing tie straps, hence being pushed towards pros with exceptional cutting needs.

Ill make this easier..do all green chains have a humped tie strap to reduce kickback ?

Actually, semi chisel also comes in green and yellow versions. The colors only separate some type of anti kickback feature (green) from a chain without any extra bumps or sails to aid in reducing a kickback (yellow).

Stihl has RSC and RMC, they're both "yellow" non-safety chain. They also have RSC3 and RMC3 which are "green" safety chain.

That is correct, except that the "C" (for comfort) now is gone from the model designations. ;)

Last edited:
No, there are different kinds of kickback reducing features, that are in different places.

And thats all i was saying ST..ive talked to people that are under the assumption just because its a green labeled chain its strictly for a homeowner..my buddy that cuts alot of dead hard wood out west loves semi.. wasnt tryin to start an arguement

And thats all i was saying ST..ive talked to people that are under the assumption just because its a green labeled chain its strictly for a homeowner..my buddy that cuts alot of dead hard wood out west loves semi.. wasnt tryin to start an arguement

Semi chisel vs. chisel is a totally different discussion than "yellow" vs. "green" chain.

It is a fact that most brands and their dealers prefere to sell "green" chain to the typical "homeowner", to some degree (some are fanatic about it, others are not). Then there are all other categories of saw users...

Ill make this easier..do all green chains have a humped tie strap to reduce kickback ?

Apologies if I sounded like a ####, not my intention. I was under the impression that green labeled chains had humped tie straps to reduce kickback. I am not aware of what other features make a green labeled chain reduced kickback, maybe someone can explain what those features are?

You may not be trying to start an argument, however you are definitely adding to the confusion. Saying that your buddy loves semi can mean many things, none which have to do with green verses yellow. Does he love semi trucks, semi skip, semi chisel, PM, PM3, RM, RM3, RMH, or RMF stihl saw chain? Did you know that there are green and yellow stihl bars as well?

No, there are different kinds of kickback reducing features, that are in different places.

You may not be trying to start an argument, however you are definitely adding to the confusion. Saying that your buddy loves semi can mean many things, none which have to do with green verses yellow. Does he love semi trucks, semi skip, semi chisel, PM, PM3, RM, RM3, RMH, or RMF stihl saw chain? Did you know that there are green and yellow stihl bars as well?

Now its you that is adding confusion. lol. The next question will be what is the difference between a yellow bar and a green bar. Some of us know the answer.

Semi chisel and chisel has nothing to do with the chain being labeled green or yellow, some of us can agree with that for sure.

I am still waiting to find out what features other than humped tie straps reduce kick back on Stihl green labeled chains.

If you can start it! BTW, have you started it? I mean, like going out to the garage every couple of hours and starting it, flooding it, #####in' about this new POS that won't start? Is that in the new 261 manual, amybe some sort of new break-in ritual????? There was a thread about another new 261 and all the "issues" it was having, so I was just wonderin'.:popcorn:

The saw doesn't have any issues the poster of that thread has the issues:laugh:

I think you're still missing the point here. Just because it's a semi chisel chain, doesn't necessarily mean its "green" or a "homeowner" chain. Both semi chisel and full chisel have "green" or "yellow" variations. No one is trying to start an argument with you, we're just trying to clear up the confusion here, nothing else.

To the OP, enjoy your saw. They're an awesome little machine. I think you made the right choice in staying with the .325 chain. You can always try an 8T rim on there to get some more chain speed. However, I don't think you'd want to bury the 18" bar then.

on a side note....i'd hate to interrupt all this chain talk.

i weighed my saw with almost full oil and 3/4 fuel

used fish scale so its pretty accurate

12lbs 14 oz powerhead
2lbs 6 oz 18" bar and chain

15lbs 2oz total.

Last edited:
Back