My first Stihl 440 mod project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy! This site is great alot of very knowledgeable folks just as long as your not trying to decide between a stihl and a husky as for me it is stihl or nothing

I have used chainsaws for years and I am one of those Idiots who loves to run a saw and has a soft spot for "More Power!!!" (amzing how $$ mean less when horespower is at stake) anyway my list of saws is below and none have any mods whatsoever I didnt even know it was possible until I found this site I mainly cut firewood and hedge (hardwoods) The 440 is the one I would attack first more than likely I normaly run a 20" bar on it but I love cutting fast I also do quite a bit of storm cleanup as we seem to see more tornadoes here all the time thanks in advance guys

I have read all the WHS info and got an Idea for what is possble

How much of this can I do myself?

A muffler mod. Get the dual port muffler cover for the 440/460, bolt it on, and you're already ahead of the game. I even Dremel out the dual port and back half hole a little more, as does another member, rbtree, that I know of. This is the easiest saw mod out there. You can buy the cover at a Stihl dealer for about $30. Don't let them tell you that you can't. P/N is 1128 140 0801.

As far as anything beyond that, it'll come down to your mechanical ability, the tools you have at your disposal and your willingness to tear into a perfectly good saw.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
A muffler mod. Get the dual port muffler cover for the 440/460, bolt it on, and you're already ahead of the game. I even Dremel out the dual port and back half hole a little more, as does another member, rbtree, that I know of. This is the easiest saw mod out there. You can buy the cover at a Stihl dealer for about $30. Don't let them tell you that you can't. P/N is 1128 140 0801.

As far as anything beyond that, it'll come down to your mechanical ability, the tools you have at your disposal and your willingness to tear into a perfectly good saw.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Good advice from Jeff, but if you do get the dual port (or do any other muffler mods), be sure to richen up/re-calibrate the high-speed carb adjustment to compensate for the increased flow.

Dave

NorthWoods said:
Good advice from Jeff, but if you do get the dual port (or do any other muffler mods), be sure to richen up/re-calibrate the high-speed carb adjustment to compensate for the increased flow.

Dave

True, I forgot to mention that. I suppose I just assume that folks know to do that. I reckon alot don't.

Jeff

I planned on the dual port cover so that will be first as for what I can do I work on saws and sharpen chains for other folks so I ll attack any thing

How much can i richen the carb without removing the limiter caps and if so I have heard that they wont stay in adjustment as they dont have springs is there any truth to that?

stihlfarmer said:
How much can i richen the carb without removing the limiter caps and if so I have heard that they wont stay in adjustment as they dont have springs is there any truth to that?

That's impossible to say, not knowing where it's set as of right now. Likely you'll have to pull the caps and reinstall them. No big deal. Tons and tons of threads on pulling caps and tuning saws to read through.

Jeff

I just bought my first 440MS and was wondering what the standard muffler vs the dual port look like. Has anyone got pictures of both for comparison?
Thanks
Jim

OK, WTF is up with the "search" button up top? I usually use it with great success. Right now all I get is an underline of the word "search" - no dialog box, no drop-down, just an underline. Really. First time I EVER had a problem with it. The rest of the site works normally. I tried the "search" while in this thread and from the home page - no work from either.

Bump are you trying to say something about these guys using the search feature.

I noticed Jeff is still playing nice after the lovefest:biggrinbounce2: ;)

Fred

Honestly, no. I was actually going to seach for a pic of the dual-port I learned about (here) and installed. Until there is a comprehensive FAQ area covering, well, "frequently asked questions", I'm not going to browbeat anyone for not looking stuff up. There seems to be a mindset out there that the world of chain saws is more dynamic than some other hobbies, in that new models, new features, new mods come along every day. I'm not going to knock a guy that just wants to discuss the latest and greatest as of "right now". I mean, why go on a wild goose chase looking for a part that's been discontinued for a year? I have current info and was trying to chime with some help - "giving back" you might say.

I am an admin on another site, and we ran into the same old stuff - long-timers kicking the shat out of newbies for asking same old stuff newb after newb, day after day. Some guys got way too abrasive, some new guys left the site right after. A few months of this, we had a "competitive" site crop up, and some members started migrating to it. Just because some of the management personnel we acting lick dicks. We decided then and there to demand that all mods, admins, and members either respond to these ubiquitous questions in a constructive, freindly manner, or just click the "back" button. We lost two moderators and several members by "being nice" but the general atmosphere seems to have relaxed quite a bit. Now, newbs feel comfortable asking just about anything, and we're never short on discussions. The membership over there is WAY smaller than here, about 3K folks, but old hands cracking the whip on the new guys happens everywhere.

So, no. i wasn't being a **** - quite the contrary. The "search" function really is screwed up for me today. But thanks for asking - I'd rather be questioned and have the opportunity to explain myself than have everyone thinking I'm a ****. Sorry if it came off that way.

Bump, sorry, I can't remember the name, Bob? Here is a pic of the stock muffler on my 046. It is of the older variation (read, non epa crap). It has the normal outlet on the side, and a 2nd little port on the front of the cover. If you need a cleaner pic, let me know, as I have since opened up the front outlet and repainted it.

-Steve

attachment.php

There can never be too many pictures on AS.

You already know what the stock muffler looks like because that's what you've got.

This is the dual port from the front.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1105978/127(Medium).JPG

127(Medium).JPG

This is the dual port from the side. Do you see how neatly I enlarged the hole in the side?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1105978/087(Medium).JPG

087(Medium).JPG

This after I Dremeled out the baffling.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1105978/118(Medium).JPG

118(Medium).JPG

Actually, it's a different muffler. It does illustrate the DPM cover though, right? You can buy this muffler in the States, just so you know. P/N 1128 140 0616.

bump_r said:
OK, WTF is up with the "search" button up top? I usually use it with great success. Right now all I get is an underline of the word "search" - no dialog box, no drop-down, just an underline. Really. First time I EVER had a problem with it. The rest of the site works normally. I tried the "search" while in this thread and from the home page - no work from either.

I get that too, and I assume its my browser intermittently not being happy with getting the javascript code off the server to make the drop-down menu work. Like Cut4fun said, just right click and select "open", and you'll get the advanced search page.

Just for the record I did try the search, but started to get too many possible posts. I thought it would be easier to ask if there was a clear picture of a dual port next to a standard muffler. I hate to admit this, but I was not sure what muffler I had, its my 1st 440, and I only had it for a few days!!!! I've been checking ebay ever since for a dual port, but needed to know what I had vs what was being sold.

Anyways, thanks for posting the dual port photos. They are much more helpful then some of the others I was looking at. For clarification: a dual port muffler has an outlet on the side of the body and an outlet in the cover. To convert a standard muffler to dual port all I need is the dual port cover, enlarge the outlet on the side of body, and _________.

thanks
Jim

Jim C said:
To convert a standard muffler to dual port all I need is the dual port cover
Jim

That's it. Jeff posted the part number earlier. You don't have to enlarge the whole on the side. But it does help. Just remove the muffler case from the saw before you start grinding. Also take the screen out before grinding. If you don't, you may suck the metal shavings into the motor upon startup. Make sure you thoroughly clean the muffler before reinstalling it.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
Bump, sorry, I can't remember the name, Bob? Here is a pic of the stock muffler on my 046. It is of the older variation (read, non epa crap). It has the normal outlet on the side, and a 2nd little port on the front of the cover. If you need a cleaner pic, let me know, as I have since opened up the front outlet and repainted it.

-Steve

attachment.php

That's a dual port muffler... am I missing something?

Freakingstang said:
Yeah it is. He wanted to see a pic of the dual port muffler.....

Ah ha! stock on a 46 = the dual port he was looking for... I need another beer or two...
but, not ALL 046's have factory dual port mufflers... only the magnum series

Lakeside53 said:
Ah ha! stock on a 46 = the dual port he was looking for... I need another beer or two...
but, not ALL 046's have factory dual port mufflers... only the magnum series

Ok, maybe I should have clarified that it was the "stock" dual port muffler cover on my OLD saw. lol. I thought all 046's were magnums??? I thought all the old ones had the dual port covers, and when they switched to the 460 name, the epa single port cover took effect. But then again, I have ran huskies for most of my sawing existance, so I am kinda new to the Stihl experience. lol

Latest posts

Back