My FIRST Stihl! A slightly worn 029...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ribertgropius

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I finally took the leap and bought a used 029 with a 20" bar and a leaky gas tank. The saw was running and seemed to function fine, but it is VERY dirty...sawdust and oil build-up.

The seller, trying to be helpful in locating the leak, partially disassembled the saw to confirm that, unfortunately, the leak is at the top seam right at the back of the tank and not at the fuel hose, and he had earlier (also unfortunately) tried to glop jb-weld on the seam so that I don't think I can clean it off well enough to use an appropriate sealant. To make things a little more challenging, when I got home with my "new" saw, now partially disassembled, I discovered that it is missing the circlip for the clutch drum, and more importantly, the air filter cover! I am sure he has it but now will have to make arrangements to get the cover.

I knew the saw was not immaculate so I didn't expect much, but it is the original bar, and the muffler looked pretty clean, the chain was sharp, and it ran well. When I got home I decided to inspect the saw a little more to see what else needs attention. This is what I have found so far:

1. Cleaning. What do people recommend to clean both the metal and plastic parts? I think I read somewhere about someone using Simple Green, a brush, and a hose to wash it off. Sawdust is caked everywhere, and when I replace the tank I can get at the cylinder.

2. Leaking tank. Has anyone had any luck using a product like Seal-all to fix a leak in the top seam like this? I think most likely I will just look for a new "used" tank on ebay. Can I / should I replace it with one from an MS 290 instead of the 029?

3. The top orange handle piece has a crack in the plastic just above where the handle connects on the clutch side, in front of it. Looks like it could be glued but I don't know how long it would last. Doesn't look like it would really affect anything since the handle itself and the orange plastic extending from the steel loop is all in one piece. Perhaps someone tried to force it off without removing enough parts.

4. I pulled of the muffler to look at the piston. The piston looks like new from the rings down. Just above the rings, at one corner of the exhaust port I can see a little brown discoloration on the piston. Is this normal?

5. Since I have never owned a Stihl and don't have a parts diagram for this, I wondered about the connection of the air cleaner to the face of the carb: should there be a gasket there? There isn't one on mine.

6. Did I mention there is caked sawdust everywhere?

7. Are parts lists and diagrams available other than for purchase for this saw?
I suppose I could buy a repair manual but it seems like the diagrams alone would be pretty handy. I downloaded the user manual from Stihl for the 029.

To be honest I am kind of happy that the saw has a few issues just so that it justifies my taking it apart, cleaning it up, and really knowing the saw.
Thanks for your answers to my questions and your advice.

Robert

WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN?
Congratulations on the saw!!!!!

So I finally took the leap and bought a used 029 with a 20" bar and a leaky gas tank. The saw was running and seemed to function fine, but it is VERY dirty...sawdust and oil build-up.

The seller, trying to be helpful in locating the leak, partially disassembled the saw to confirm that, unfortunately, the leak is at the top seam right at the back of the tank and not at the fuel hose, and he had earlier (also unfortunately) tried to glop jb-weld on the seam so that I don't think I can clean it off well enough to use an appropriate sealant. To make things a little more challenging, when I got home with my "new" saw, now partially disassembled, I discovered that it is missing the circlip for the clutch drum, and more importantly, the air filter cover! I am sure he has it but now will have to make arrangements to get the cover.

I knew the saw was not immaculate so I didn't expect much, but it is the original bar, and the muffler looked pretty clean, the chain was sharp, and it ran well. When I got home I decided to inspect the saw a little more to see what else needs attention. This is what I have found so far:

1. Cleaning. What do people recommend to clean both the metal and plastic parts? I think I read somewhere about someone using Simple Green, a brush, and a hose to wash it off. Sawdust is caked everywhere, and when I replace the tank I can get at the cylinder.

2. Leaking tank. Has anyone had any luck using a product like Seal-all to fix a leak in the top seam like this? I think most likely I will just look for a new "used" tank on ebay. Can I / should I replace it with one from an MS 290 instead of the 029?

3. The top orange handle piece has a crack in the plastic just above where the handle connects on the clutch side, in front of it. Looks like it could be glued but I don't know how long it would last. Doesn't look like it would really affect anything since the handle itself and the orange plastic extending from the steel loop is all in one piece. Perhaps someone tried to force it off without removing enough parts.

4. I pulled of the muffler to look at the piston. The piston looks like new from the rings down. Just above the rings, at one corner of the exhaust port I can see a little brown discoloration on the piston. Is this normal?

5. Since I have never owned a Stihl and don't have a parts diagram for this, I wondered about the connection of the air cleaner to the face of the carb: should there be a gasket there? There isn't one on mine.

6. Did I mention there is caked sawdust everywhere?

7. Are parts lists and diagrams available other than for purchase for this saw?
I suppose I could buy a repair manual but it seems like the diagrams alone would be pretty handy. I downloaded the user manual from Stihl for the 029.

To be honest I am kind of happy that the saw has a few issues just so that it justifies my taking it apart, cleaning it up, and really knowing the saw.
Thanks for your answers to my questions and your advice.

Robert

Thanks!

robert,

see for example,
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=129434

and post in the tacked "Beg for Manuals" thread to get an IPL (illustrated parts list) and the SM (service manual).

jim aka the wrooster

I was just looking at that sticky when I saw your response. I posted my request for the IP and SM. AND thank you for the reference to your post showing your 021 before and after. Gives me hope lol.

Robert

Thanks! I live in Fauqier County VA about 45 miles west of DC, on the edge of what is called NOVA (North VA), which some people think is a different state altogether!

Robert

Make sure you get some pics!
Plus a before and after pic is always cool to look at!

Hello Neighbor!

I'm right down the road in woodsctock

I am fairly new to the area, having moved to the DC area about two years ago, and to this property about 6 months ago. I am living on a pretty large parcel on the back side of a low mountain off the highway...beautiful land, with lots of walnut and poplar, many of which have volunteered themselves with the recent snowfall for the wood pile!

I know my little McCulloch is not going to last...and have been wanting to own a Stihl for a long time. It's not the MS 260 I hope to own sometime, but the 029 appears to be plenty of saw for my needs, which consists primarily of keeping the road cleared and cutting up firewood for the wood burning stove when we lose power. Where I am, a half-mile off the road, losing power means no electricity (or heat) for a few days easily, so the wood pile is not really a luxury, but rather, a necessity.

Last edited:
There are a few tanks on the bay now,,Anyone around you do any plastics welding????

As for the piston we need pic's...

I used the dishwasher to clean my 064 It came out nice...

There are a few tanks on the bay now,,Anyone around you do any plastics welding????

As for the piston we need pic's...

I used the dishwasher to clean my 064 It came out nice...

The dishwasher is a great idea for all the plastic. Not sure I am ready to put the engine block assembly in there though! Would get the fins clean.....

I am fairly new to the area, having moved to the DC area about two years ago, and to this property about 6 months ago. I am living on a pretty large parcel on the back side of a low mountain off...beautiful land, with lots of walnut and poplar, many of which have volunteered themselves with the recent snowfall for the wood pile!

I knew my little McCulloch was not going to last...and have been wanting to own a Stihl for a long time. It's not the MS 260 I hope to own sometime, but the 029 appears to be plenty of saw for my needs, which consists primarily of keeping the road cleared and cutting up firewood for the wood burning stove when we lose power. Where I am, a half-mile off the road, losing power means no electricity (or heat) for a few days easily, so the wood pile is not really a luxury, but rather, a necessity.

welcome to the country side of the state. Br careful who you talk to on here we are all contagious with bad cases of C.A.D. it starts out slow and before you know you're calling up people you haven't talk to for years because you think you remember they had an old saw that was collecting dust in the garage.

really though everyone I've met on here has been helpful and straight forward. you'll have some brand bashing from time to time but that is to be expected. here is a link to a build I started may give you an idea of what these guys expect picture wise. it helps them help you
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=129223

Thanks! I live in Fauqier County VA about 45 miles west of DC, on the edge of what is called NOVA (North VA), which some people think is a different state altogether!

Robert

What are ya' doin' with a saw? There's no trees that close to D.C.

Oh yeah welcome to the site.
Do a search on tank repair.There's a wealth of knowledge here.
And an air hose is your bestest friend when cleaning a saw.

What are ya' doin' with a saw? There's no trees that close to D.C.

Oh yeah welcome to the site.
Do a search on tank repair.There's a wealth of knowledge here.
And an air hose is your bestest friend when cleaning a saw.

LOL!
Tell that to the acres of uncleared land on our little mountain! The interesting thing about Fauquier County is that you cross its boundary from Prince William County and suddenly you feel like you really are in Virginia and not DC. Was quite an adventure though with the 3' of snow....

I will follow your suggestion about the tank repair. I REALLY wish he hadn't put that JB Weld on the seams...besides looking bad, it just makes it difficult to really see where the problem is and fix it. Not that looks are everything but..its my new toy and here I am at 2am writing about it!

Thanks for the welcome.

Robert

The adventure continues...have successfully dissassembled...

Have successfully dissassembled much of it! The saw was just covered in oil and sawdust; I used the compressed air method to blow out each piece as I slowly worked my way taking it apart. I assume it is the chain oil that makes it stick so well, and even after getting most of it off there is a film of fine particles that keeps wanting to stick to the saw.

So I have the handle off, carb, muffler, chain brake cover, recoil. I have not removed the clutch or brake assembly, nor have I pulled the flywheel. Not sure that some of thes e covers were ever removed before based on what I found inside. At this point I have to decide if I am going to replace the tank or do a repair.

So I now have the handle off and can think about repairing the crack. This saw was never babied, and after looking at all the pieces I think I am going to go for functional, not pretty, since I would end up replacing just about everything to make it look like new. That's not altogether a bad thing though, since it gives me more courage to stumble through learning the saw with my limited knowledge.

The crack in the handle is located just above the large circle cut-out for the handle attachment, just ahead of a screw hole. In its location I don't think it really is going to get much stress but the vibration will obviously make it want to come apart. I cleaned the crack area with carb cleaner, and now plan on gluing it. Any suggestions for what kind of glue / epoxy to use?

The tank is my next target. As mentioned before it has a leak on top towards the back of the saw at the seam. The last owner tried to put JB weld on it but didn't succeed in stopping the leak. If I can scrape off enough of the JB weld to really see the hole I may try to seal it instead of replacing the whole tank, although I suppose I am already this far that it's not much more work. Suggestions for fixing the leak? Epoxy? Seal-all? JB Weld????

On the topic of the sawdust and blowing it out with the air gun, I have some concern that with all the dust flying that some may have found its way into the cylinder. Do you think I am safe in just flushing it out with some gas oil mix, or do I have to think about splitting the crankcase? I am going to check the compression at this point of my dissassembly just to see what kind of reading I get on a cold saw. The piston looks good from both the intake and exhaust side. If the compression is low, obviously, I will split the case and replacing the rings and piston.

I am giving up for tonight, now that I am covered with oily sawdust film from blowing out all those crevices. What a mess... At least now I can see the saw and all its parts!

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the direction of the manuals sticky; I read the service manual and looked at the IPL at lunch today just to familliarize myself with the saw. They were wonderful.

Robert

Last edited:
For cleaning the compressed air before dis-assembly, and then I take simple green in a bucket and hose with small batches of parts with a brush and that works very well.

I repaired an 390 (029's big brother) oil tank with some Loctite 2 part plastic epoxy. LINK The owner says that it's holding up fine, and it's only a few dollars instead of having to purchase a new tank assembly and transfer everything over to the new. I took my dremel and "scuffed" the surface with a sand paper arbor first to make sure that I had good adhesion. Then on a bad crack on the cylinder cover I added some plastic screen material I had laying around for some added strength on the back side, scuffing the surface with some rough sand paper first. But, if you really wanted those "flippy" caps then you could just get a 290/310/390 tank assembly to be sure it wouldn't leak.

Post some pics of the 'ol gal, show her off!!
Oh, and welcome!!:cheers:

Last edited:
where are the pics....
If you think you got some saw dust and dirt in the cyl. might not be a bad idea to pull the jug off and clean it that wayit would be really hard to get out all the crud just thru the ports

Latest posts

Back