my first stihl chainsaw ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been running one for 8 years now, Has never gave me any problems. Some people dont care for them since they are in the homeowner line. But they do what they are suppose to. Keep the chain sharp and you'll be fine.

Been running one for 8 years now, Has never gave me any problems. Some people dont care for them since they are in the homeowner line. But they do what they are suppose to. Keep the chain sharp and you'll be fine.

Appreciate the good words. It seems like a good solid all around saw. It came with an 18 inch bar and chain thinking about doing the 20 inch bar and chain just don't know what's going to be the best options for it! Looking forward to using it soon here in the next week or so

My opinion would be to stay with the 18 for all around use.
ive got one that's about 8 years old too, I run it with a 24 inch bar and converted it to 3/8" along with a muffler mod, I usually don't use it on wood that big, I just like the length for cutting firewood without having to bend over much...
I typically run Oregon JGX on it (skip chain) and it will pull it through big wood no problem, just not as quick as a bigger saw...

View attachment 450099
Kind of excited about this guy. Never had a stihl before... its in complete working order. Came with a few extras too.

Looks good. Sounds like a good deal. These saws were the most popular in their line that Stihl ever made. With the proper care it can last you for years to come. Optimal for me on the MS290 is the 18" bar and chain. I like the .063 x .325 pitch chain in the yellow label (full chisel). With a muffler mod and the right tune you will be quite surprised I'd say. Congratulations!

I have an 029 that I have been using for more years then I am willing to say. (Don't want to sound old) my 029 still gets used weekly, still starts in under 4 pulls from cold, and is the go to for the bulk of my work.
Keep her sharp, keep her clean and use good fuel and oil and she will out last most. Also when storing make sure you drain all fuel and start and run the carb dry, I then put a spray of stable right in the carb.
You should get many years of good service out of her.

I have an 029 that I have been using for more years then I am willing to say. (Don't want to sound old) my 029 still gets used weekly, still starts in under 4 pulls from cold, and is the go to for the bulk of my work.
Keep her sharp, keep her clean and use good fuel and oil and she will out last most. Also when storing make sure you drain all fuel and start and run the carb dry, I then put a spray of stable right in the carb.
You should get many years of good service out of her.

Thanks! Appreciate the good words

I'm a husky fan these days but I will say my old 290 was a good all around firewood saw for the money . These clamshell design saws in this family group respond VERY well to a muffler mod and carb adjustment . These were reliable saws that will go forever . Yes they are heavy yes they aren't the fastest or most powerful for their size but they were well made and for under 400 bucks you got a lot of saw that worked for a lot of applications

I've owned two and loved both..only reason I don't have them anymore is I permanently loaned the 029 to my buddy and sold the 290 to my dad for a song.

They're dependable as a hammer and just flat work.

View attachment 450099
Kind of excited about this guy. Never had a stihl before... its in complete working order. Came with a few extras too.
It should serve you quite well. A lot of guys, me included, get addicted to the pro saws, but reality is, more dang wood is cut by thousands and thousands of guys with farmbosses, ranchers and various poulans.

Looks good. Sounds like a good deal. These saws were the most popular in their line that Stihl ever made. With the proper care it can last you for years to come. Optimal for me on the MS290 is the 18" bar and chain. I like the .063 x .325 pitch chain in the yellow label (full chisel). With a muffler mod and the right tune you will be quite surprised I'd say. Congratulations!
Thats also what it came with. Three extra chains one being a green chain he had labled as a limb chain. Was a good ole fella! Sold an old jeep and took saw and some cash! Haven't ran it yet. But looking forward to it! I guess the echo maybe be more of a limb saw now!

I have one, been cutting firewood with it for 10 years, with no issues at all.
When I say cut firewood, I mean about 100 cords a year.
It will run a 20" bar just fine.
Good saw.

I have one, been cutting firewood with it for 10 years, with no issues at all.
When I saw cut firewood, I mean about 100 cords a year.
It will run a 20" bar just fine.
Good saw.

Not knocking the 290, ran one for several years. But cutting 100 cord a year with one?
I wouldn't have the patience for it, when we got into those numbers it was 362 & 441 time. Lot faster cutting & less vibration.

Not knocking the 290, ran one for several years. But cutting 100 cord a year with one?
I wouldn't have the patience for it, when we got into those numbers it was 362 & 441 time. Lot faster cutting & less vibration.

I have upgraded my fleet to include a 391 and a 362, but the saw I grab most of the time is the 290.
And yes that 290 cut that much wood and is still running like new. Doesn't look new but still runs like it.
In fact it still has the original spark plug.
Back when I first started the 290 was the only saw I had.
But I have upgraded since then with some backup saws just in case.

Definitely a good saw I have one with a 20" bar did the muffler mod and tuned my carb and she screams you keep the chain sharp and it will cut through anything I've cut alot of wood with mine and it will fire right up on the 2nd to 3rd pull good luck to you with yours

I did wear out a bar tough and many chains and sprockets.

The 360 has a different sprocket that lasts much longer the the common sprocket.
The star shaped sprocket tends to get a grove worn in and the chain can jump in and out of the grove and the chain can get loose or tight, depending on where in rides on the sprocket.
You can convert the 290 to the better sprocket like the 362 uses, but you'll need to change the bar and chain as well.

Latest posts

Back