My first Stihl saw ever, 042AVE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Just picked up a 042AVE off Ebay. I hate buying saws from people I have not previously dealt with, or know from this site, but it was going for what I considered to be cheap. My max bid was $81.55 and someone tried to snipe, but that 55 cents got me the saw. Seller states the saw runs but needs repair, I am hoping for a good top end. What is the general thoughts on the model 042AVE? I am under the impression they may be one of the lesser produced saws but there are other models that use compatible parts. I am very excited and even considered driving several hundred miles just so I could have it today......My first Stihl is one its way to my door.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330486318271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Link to the info on Mike Acres site
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8ea47c2d0942227788256ba2004878e7?OpenDocument

Phil_C

Phil_C

ArboristSite Operative
Hello Roanoker494
I saw that chainsaw for sale on eBay. Was going to bid on it but decided not to. The 042AV are a good saw but they occasionally have a problem with crankcase gaskets leaking. The 048AV is a very similar saw and yes some parts do interchange between them but not all parts. There are quite a few differences between the two. Yours appears to be complete and includes a chain brake. Chain brake parts are very rare for 042's. Sprockets are still available on places like eBay. Be wary of eBay adds that say the part will fit both 042 and 048 as they are not always the same. I have parts manuals for the late model 042 and 048's but not the early model. Pm me for more info.
If it runs as the add says it may simply need a new carby kit or at least a carby clean and it may be a very good buy. Looks like the recoil needs some more tension as well.

Regards

Phil

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hello Roanoker494
I saw that chainsaw for sale on eBay. Was going to bid on it but decided not to. The 042AV are a good saw but they occasionally have a problem with crankcase gaskets leaking. The 048AV is a very similar saw and yes some parts do interchange between them but not all parts. There are quite a few differences between the two. Yours appears to be complete and includes a chain brake. Chain brake parts are very rare for 042's. Sprockets are still available on places like eBay. Be wary of eBay adds that say the part will fit both 042 and 048 as they are not always the same. I have parts manuals for the late model 042 and 048's but not the early model. Pm me for more info.
If it runs as the add says it may simply need a new carby kit or at least a carby clean and it may be a very good buy. Looks like the recoil needs some more tension as well.

Regards

Phil

I did a search on the forums and seems that these saws get a mixed review. The crankcase gasket does seem to be a issue and the fact that parts are getting tough to find. I personally like the "redheaded stepchild" saws, so it should fit in well. If all else fails, I figure I can part it for what I have invested.

JJuday

JJuday

Addicted to ArboristSite
Brad Snelling would be a guy to ask, not sure if he has a 042, but he does have an 048, same basic saw. I've heard they pull like freight trains. Saw one at the dealer back in the shop and asked what was ailing it and the tech said it had oiler issues and he could not track another down. So, I know that the oiler is a toughie to find. Unfortunatly, neither 42 or 48 shared much in common with the 41 or 51 of earlier vintage and I don't think much was shared with the 34 or 38. JJuday

cbfarmall

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The 042/048 was an oddball. Stihl never made any others like it before or since. That said, it is the first Stihl to use to the now-standard configuration of the fuel tank/rear handle/carby airbox assembly supporting the crankcase. Search some old posts. I think JJ said that alot of loggers were just as happy to see their 042s crushed by logs on the landings. Heavy saw for it's power. I have 2 or 3 myself.

Chris B.

jockeydeuce

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
You can't go wrong on what you paid for that one......I hope it's worth fixing. You'll like it!!!!

I've been really impressed by the 042's and 048's! A bit heavy, but real torquey saws!!!:chainsaw:

I fixed up an 042, awhile back, but had carb problems with it and had to wait until I found another carb from an 048 to get it running right. I found another carb recently and it runs beautifully, now.

Here's a link to when I was putting it together.......

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=141343

Previous to that I had an 048, but it ended up getting sold on Ebay, last winter. Here's the 048 in action...............

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSB4KO59eFE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSB4KO59eFE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Phil_C

Phil_C

ArboristSite Operative
Yes, the 042 and 048 are pretty much the same. There are a few minor differences. There don't seem to be a lot of them, so parts are more scarce than most models.

Hello blsnelling
Aside from the 49mm bore 042 compared to the 52mm bore 048's you are correct about minor differences but only if you are talking about late model 042's compared to 048's. Early model 042's had a different crankcase, different fuel tank handle, different chain brake mechanism and different carburetor cover. I have a partially complete early model 042 that I simply cannot find parts for to finish it off. Apparently some of the really early 042's did not have a chain brake at all but I have never seen one.

Regards

Phil

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
You can't go wrong on what you paid for that one......I hope it's worth fixing. You'll like it!!!!

I've been really impressed by the 042's and 048's! A bit heavy, but real torquey saws!!!:chainsaw:

I fixed up an 042, awhile back, but had carb problems with it and had to wait until I found another carb from an 048 to get it running right. I found another carb recently and it runs beautifully, now.

Here's a link to when I was putting it together.......

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=141343

Previous to that I had an 048, but it ended up getting sold on Ebay, last winter. Here's the 048 in action...............

Thank you for the video, nice to see a like saw in action. I really only bought the saw to restore and use occasionally. I never really have a need for anything more than my old XL-12.

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hello blsnelling
Aside from the 49mm bore 042 compared to the 52mm bore 048's you are correct about minor differences but only if you are talking about late model 042's compared to 048's. Early model 042's had a different crankcase, different fuel tank handle, different chain brake mechanism and different carburetor cover. I have a partially complete early model 042 that I simply cannot find parts for to finish it off. Apparently some of the really early 042's did not have a chain brake at all but I have never seen one.

Regards

Phil

If I end up parting the saw out I will give you first dibs on the parts you need.

Phil_C

Phil_C

ArboristSite Operative
If I end up parting the saw out I will give you first dibs on the parts you need.

Thankyou very much:)

You definitely got a good deal on the saw. Either way you will win. If you can get it going properly and resell it will be worth more than you got for it and if you part it out you will easily get what you paid for it.

Regards

Phil

jrutledge

jrutledge

Need Stihl 042 clutch side cover

I have a great running Stihl 042 that my father bought new and handed down to me. I broke the clutch side outside cover - the part held on by the bar nuts. Does anyone have a clutch cover they would sell?

jeffreyjc

jeffreyjc

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello blsnelling

Regards

Phil
do you still want to see one my saw #'s are e6245556 getting my !st post in

Latest posts