My free 011 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jconaway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Since I already have an 026 and an 034 Super, I've wanted a smaller saw for limbing and other small jobs for quite some time now. A year and a half or so ago my daughter's boyfriend (at the time) gave me an old 011 AV (white model, electronic/quickstop) with no bar or chain. IIRC he got it in a grab bag of items and didn't know if it ran or not, so he gave it to me. Well, all this time it wasn't high on my list of things to do, but tonight I retrieved it from the garage to fiddle with it, knowing nothing at all about it's history or how long it's been since it last ran. After dumping out the old stale fuel I poured some "Start Your Engines" into the fuel tank and added some pre-mix. After 20-30 pulls she finally popped, and shortly after that she burped a couple times and fired up! The silly thing idles well and seems to have plenty of power, though of course without a bar/chain there was no load on it.
Now that I know it runs, I plan to stop by the local dealer tomorrow to see if they have a replacement air filter, to determine if it has the right size sprocket installed (it's a rim sprocket, surprisingly enough) and to see what they have for a bar and chain. At this time my budget for this little project is very low so hopefully they'll have a used 12-14" bar with a couple chains for a decent price.
BTW, what do you guys think of this model? Is it difficult to find parts? Yes, it's old, but I like the quality of old stuff generally speaking and don't have the need to have the latest and greatest. Any particular maintenance recommendations before using it?
One other thing; how many horsepower does this saw produce? I couldn't find that information anywhere.

They're a good saw for what you're intending to use it for. Check Baileys for some inexpensive bar/chain options for it. The rim drive drum is a bonus. You could use .325 pitch chain on it if you wanted to. Mine had 3/8-LP. Ran a 16" bar well enough. Traded it to a fellow who wanted it more than I did.

Parts are plentiful. Many guys here have parts carcasses. Lots of parts on feebay too. IIRC there are aftermarket air filters available. The pulse driven oil pumps can be a bit problematic, but are easy to work on. Post up in the 'beg for manuals' thread in the 'chainsaw stickies' section. Somebody will hook you up with the IPL and the WorkShop manuals for these saws.

I didn't look closely enough before posting, it has a spur sprocket. Still, you can't beat the price. Speaking of the sprocket, it's well-worn and needs replaced so I'll have to replace that as well.

I was gifted one. When I can get it started it runs fine. It's not great about starting though. I can't find anything wrong with it, but the other problem with it prevents me from putting much work into it- it's a chain thrower. I suspect the single bar stud and nut have something to do with that. Honestly, I was hoping it'd take the place of my old Homey Super EZ auto as a saw to hang on the hames when skidding with the horses, but my particular example isn't even close in reliability.:msp_mad: That being said, I wish you all the luck in the world with yours!

Latest posts

Back