My huge oak tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean A. Johnson

Reaction score
Hello...........couple questions about a very large oak tree in my yard:

1. Is it possible that the roots of a huge oak can be lifting my garage
floor?------roots traveling under house & garage? Really would
hate to cut the oak down, but if this is a possibility, it's either
the tree or the house!!

2. Can you grow a new oak tree from an existing oak's acorns, or
is that a wive's tale?

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Jean Johnson

It is possible for tree roots to lift your house. But before you go hiring a removal firm, we need to find out what our options are.
How far from the house is this tree?
How large are the roots going under the house?
Can the roots be cut without adversely affecting the tree's health?
How healthy is the tree now?

Yes, trees can be grown from germinated acorns. That's how God grows them! :angel: But since not all acorns sprout, it is easier to look in the flowerbeds for a seedling that is already growing and pot it up. :p

Is the garage floor a poured slab?

How old is the garage?

Unless the garage was built over an existing root, it is highly unlikely that the tree is lifting your garage. If the garage was built over the roots then I would wonder what condition the tree is in.

Tree roots do not have the ability to penatrate soild materials. Studies have shown that tree roots will not lift/crack sidewalks when the sub base is properly constructed for the soil structure present. If there are tree roots present it is due to other structural problems, either in the building or the soils under the building.

I agree with Eric, it is hard to believe the roots are lifting the floor, crack some but not left an entire structure.

If it is I would want to buy a house from whoever build your garage.

Fine a consulting arborist in your area to evaluate the situation.

http://www.asca-consultants.org/

Back