My Intro..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeinstine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy guys (and gals),

First post here on AS, but i have been reading and enjoying for months now.. My wife thinks i'm nuts spending 3 hours a night reading chainsaw "crap". But where else can you see a video clip of a crazy canadian logger cutting trees with nothing but his chaps on?? Man that was a nasty sight! :)

anyway, i'm not a tree care professional, though i did some small time tree removal as part of my landscape business that i folded up last year... Doing business in NJ is really hard on the little guy.. Better off working for someone else, and letting them pay all the crazy bills and fees.

I do tinker with pretty much anything with a engine.. cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, and oh yea.. now chainsaws.. You guys corrupted me... Back about 8 years ago when my wife and myself bought our home, it was a bit overgrown and had some pretty big old growth trees in the back yard. I inherited a 20 yr old 20" crapsman chainsaw from my folks.. Like new when i got, about whooped right now.. It worked pretty darn well with an agressive chain on it. Then i wanted a lighter saw for the delimbing, and i bought, now dont laugh, a 14" wood shark from home depot.. I ripped the pull cord out of they P.O.S. in the first hour trying to start it, and had to take it back for another.. I still have that one, i have put about 5 hours on the screaming gutless thing.. not a good buy! But hey, at that point in life, i still had no clue about saws.. But my luck changed while i was at a tractor show/swap meet. someone there had a husky rancher 61, near new.. 100$.. i beat 'em up for 80$. Its been my main saw for about 3 years now.. Since reading this site, i got the itch to tinker with a saw, and not wanting to mess up the 61 (well i did pull the muffler screen the other day), i picked up a sachs-dolmar 100 for 21.00$ shipped on ebay. No spark and missing air filter cover.. Looked it over today, it all else checks out okay.. But i'll save the "wanted - parts" for another post.. I have a bunch of various saw questions, so i'll be firing away this weekend..

Have fun! :)
Ron

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!
My experinece is that though it is enjoyable to watch it, but much more so when you are able to take part in the posting! :) :blob2:

Ditto, about the wife.........

Hi John, i am smack dab in the middle of the state.. pretty close to Ft. Dix - Maguire AFB.. I actually reside in Burlington county; right down the street is where Burlington, Monmouth, and Ocean countys all meet at one point.

Hows things up that way? Nice area up where your at. When you get up there, its hard to believe your still in NJ..

Have fun,
Ron

njforestfire said:
Welcome and congrats on getting the 'addiction bug' !!!!! What county are you in?

Ron,This forum is full of well researched and educational material.The members are most helpfull in most topics.I grew up in Ocean Township, specificall, :Waretown:.I now reside here in the Snow Belt of New York.What are you cutting, conifers, or decidous trees?I am as they call it in NJ, "A Piney" or more locals called it Piney Power. Keep the posts coming, Ken

Hi Ken,

I know Waretown pretty well.. Back is the high school days, a good friend of mines parents had a second home on the water down there.. We had some pretty crazy booze fests back then.. Ahhh. the good ol' days!

I was just down that way again last weekend with a couple members of our sled dog club doing a demo at the boy scouts camp..

Yea.. theres alot of Piney Power bumper stickers around here.. Back in high school, i was labeled a Piney.. I formed a small off road club, bunch of friends with lifted trucks, and we would spend the weekends out in the pits around Chatsworth; drinkin' beer, building bon fires, and sinking trucks in 5 feet of water.. The club name was "The sloppy hole off road club". We have alot of the adventures on film.. this all took place from about 1988-1994. Ahhh.. those where the days too...

:cool:
Ron

Kenskip1 said:
Ron,This forum is full of well researched and educational material.The members are most helpfull in most topics.I grew up in Ocean Township, specificall, :Waretown:.I now reside here in the Snow Belt of New York.What are you cutting, conifers, or decidous trees?I am as they call it in NJ, "A Piney" or more locals called it Piney Power. Keep the posts coming, Ken

welcome eyeinstine... I live in PA, but work in NJ. I maintain weather gages for NWS and USGS, so get to run all over NJ in a 3/4 t van, from the NY border down to Cape May. It's amazing how different parts of NJ are from each other. The state has a bad rap... sure you have your Newark and Camden, but the majority of the state is actually pretty nice country. Just can't afford it, one reason I live in PA!
Dave

Hello Dave, i've enjoyed following your threads and looking at the milling pics you have posted.. keep up the good work.. I was thinking of your milling posts today while i was splitting firewood.. To make a long story short, i gotta get some pics this weekend and post em for you milling guys.. Some beautiful, dark, straight grained walnut. Yup, goin' through the splitter. :-( I'll explain later!

anyway, yea, NJ does get a bad rep. If we could cut off the NE part of jersey (little NY) and float it out to sea, and push camden out into the delaware to be an island with no boats; it would be a great state!

Where else could i live and drive one hour and be on the beach catching stripers, drive two hours the other way and be skiing down the mountains, and then come home and find some of the best and biggest farm fed deer and turkey to hunt out my back yard???!

if it wasnt for the crazy money to live here; and all the stealing, liberal, crooked lawyers and politicions, this would be the perfect state.. Maybe we can get all those lawyers and politicions on a boat to the would be Camden island.. Sink the boat once its there, and sit back and enjoy the show from some remote cameras as the hooligans have fun with those suit and tie fellows. :)

Ron

woodshop said:
welcome eyeinstine... I live in PA, but work in NJ. I maintain weather gages for NWS and USGS, so get to run all over NJ in a 3/4 t van, from the NY border down to Cape May. It's amazing how different parts of NJ are from each other. The state has a bad rap... sure you have your Newark and Camden, but the majority of the state is actually pretty nice country. Just can't afford it, one reason I live in PA!
Dave

I recently spent almost 6 months at Ft. Dix while awaiting possible deployment.While training I never saw so many deer in my life. While on off time we rented cars and just drove around,Was really suprised at the beauty of the countryside,not what you would expect of N.J.

eyeinstine said:
Some beautiful, dark, straight grained walnut. Yup, goin' through the splitter. :-( I'll explain later!
So Ron... you never explained why you are taking "beautiful, dark straight grained walnut" and running it through the splitter? Is it full of beetles, or deformed? ...or you might just want to burn it... your prerogative, walnut burns OK, so does cherry.

As for putting all those NJ lawyers and politicians on a boat... I'd be glad to help you with that.

keith c raymond said:
I recently spent almost 6 months at Ft. Dix while awaiting possible deployment.While training I never saw so many deer in my life. While on off time we rented cars and just drove around,Was really suprised at the beauty of the countryside,not what you would expect of N.J.

Hi Keith,

hey, pretty cool you were right down the road from me.. Ft.dix is VERY close, as in a mile or so.. I spend alot of time driving through there for various reasons..and the BIG jets from MaGuire buzz my house all day long.. i also belonged to the rod and gun club on base, so i could hunt the land... Your very right, LOTSA deer and turkey... And the surrounding non military land is very nice too.. Were still pretty rural with alot of farms and horse farms.. but the $600,000 houses with the big city yuppies are moving in fast.. It will be sad to see the area in 20 years..

have fun,
Ron

caryr said:
Well, um my place kinda fits that description except we have year round skiing ;).

Cary

thanks for the warm welcome Cary.. Oregon looks nice too,, but too many tree huggers, seed eaters, and do-gooders for me!

;)
Ron

woodshop said:
So Ron... you never explained why you are taking "beautiful, dark straight grained walnut" and running it through the splitter? Is it full of beetles, or deformed? ...or you might just want to burn it... your prerogative, walnut burns OK, so does cherry.

As for putting all those NJ lawyers and politicians on a boat... I'd be glad to help you with that.

sorry 'bout that woodshop.. I planned on getting some pics and posting more about that today, but the wife con'd me into taking her to Atlantic city this evening, so i never got out to the wood pile...

Long story short, i had one massuve (for nj at least) walnut i took down.. Probably 24+" at the base and 18+" at the end of a 25' log.. Couldnt find any one who wanted it for a small price, or an even trade for a equal amount of wood to burn... I even spoke with a local logger, and he said it sound like a great piece, but ultimately didnt really want to bother or just one log.. Since then, i took down two more, almost as big... I'll get some pics hopefully tommorrow, since i havent cut and split the big stuff yet.. I also took down a massive honey locust.. 4' base,but then split (crotched) at only about 5 feet up into two 24+" logs. NO ROT at all!! Most of the big locusts around here always seem to rot out and have hollow centers.. But not this one!

If i just had the time to get into milling, i think i could get a nice selection of walnut boards and some locust boards or beams.. Atleast they would last for near ever out doors..

Hey, Ft. Washington is only about 40 minutes away! ;)

Ron

eyeinstine said:
If i just had the time to get into milling, i think i could get a nice selection of walnut boards and some locust boards or beams.. Atleast they would last for near ever out doors..
Hey, Ft. Washington is only about 40 minutes away! ;)
Ron
Yes you are right down the turnpike from me, I wish I had all the time in the world to mill wood, I would be over there tomorrow with my Ripsaw and Alaskan. Are those walnuts and locust off the ground? In 2 months the bugs will start moving, and less than that it'll be warm enough for your logs to start degrading. Honeylocust is not as decay resistant as Black Locust, but that one will be OK for a while. However, the sapwood of those walnuts will be mush in no time unless you get them off the ground. If you want to "play", PM me and maybe we can get together and mill some lumber, but would not be for a while, as I'm backed up in shop getting ready for a show right now.

woodshop said:
Yes you are right down the turnpike from me, I wish I had all the time in the world to mill wood, I would be over there tomorrow with my Ripsaw and Alaskan. Are those walnuts and locust off the ground? In 2 months the bugs will start moving, and less than that it'll be warm enough for your logs to start degrading. Honeylocust is not as decay resistant as Black Locust, but that one will be OK for a while. However, the sapwood of those walnuts will be mush in no time unless you get them off the ground. If you want to "play", PM me and maybe we can get together and mill some lumber, but would not be for a while, as I'm backed up in shop getting ready for a show right now.

Woodshop and all,

Im going to try and post some pics i took today.. this will be my first attempt, so i hope i get it right.. Im only going to post a pic of the small splits i did the other day. the two lighter color pieces are dry, and the two darker ones i just split open for the pic. This was from a small log that sat on the ground next to a larger one for about 4 years... Surprisingly, it looks unharmed! We have real dry sandy ground here, so maybe that saved it... so there may be hope for the one longer long i have on the ground from 4 years ago.. i have a few nice size logs, kinda off the ground that where just cut down a couple months ago.. those will be fine yet.. I am going to post the log pics and a pic of a funky maple tree in the logging forum.. I think that will be a better place to post it if we continue discussing milling them up.. I'll try and drag them out of the pile in the near future, and get some pics, or you can stop by if your in the area while working, and see if they are good mill logs.. If so, we'll have to pick a day and cut 'em up.. maybe some other folks in the area would want to make a little get together of it.. That is if you dont mind folks looking over your back while your working! Not even sure if there is anyone else here on AS in our area that would be interested..??

ok, here goes the attempt for the attachment.. Dont forget to check out the looking forum for the log pics..

Ron

How do you like the 61 Husky? I bought one from my neighbor who used to be a husky dealer.It is probably a 92 or so but it still cranks out well. I put a new bar on it and a new pull cord and it is 100%.

keith c raymond said:
How do you like the 61 Husky? I bought one from my neighbor who used to be a husky dealer.It is probably a 92 or so but it still cranks out well. I put a new bar on it and a new pull cord and it is 100%.

hey Keith,

i think i got that one answered for you on the other thread i got going about the Dolmar..

Ron

Latest posts

Back