My left arm is on FIRE!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
I borrowed a Stihl pole-saw for clearing some low limbs off trees in the woods. Stinks when I can't see the lake. Anyhoo, I had never used one before. WOW. That thing does a nice job, but it is a killer on the arms! Does anyone actually use one of these for a full day's work? Maybe I'm just a pansy.

Wild-Pansy-Flower-11.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:
I couldn't resist .

Yeah, it's the deltoids that take the hardest workout using the pole saw. I've used them for a full day's work several times, and am in the market for a good inexpensive used Stihl. Right now I'm using a mechanical pole saw, which actually isn't much harder on the arms/shoulders than a motorized one.

I'm the designated pole saw operator on our Disaster Relief crew... everyone else is really old and kinda frail... jus sayin'

:hmm3grin2orange:

My Echo pruner will make you wish you were doing something else too. I have the extending model figuring "I'd use it only when I actually needed it", but it really only makes you cut more stuff that you don't really need to! Let me lug a chainsaw around the woods any day.

Hmm. I used my new Poulan with the extra extension in it for about an hour and a half the other day, and did not notice it was particularly strenuous. I was just cutting small limbs, vines, and brush. It cut fast without a lot of pressure from me. What were you doing that gave you such a workout?

Since some of you guys are too macho to acknowlege you KNOW what the pretty picture is....

Its -PANSIES.

Something tells me there were no harnesses or supports utilized.

The harness/straps help, but not a lot. If they are carrying the weight then you are only cutting those branches that are that specific distance away from you. I think it's holding the pruner at the angle that you need to, to keep the limbs from falling on your head that gets you. It's also using an entirely different set of muscles that come from lugging a chainsaw around the woods all day.

The harness/straps help, but not a lot. If they are carrying the weight then you are only cutting those branches that are that specific distance away from you. I think it's holding the pruner at the angle that you need to, to keep the limbs from falling on your head that gets you. It's also using an entirely different set of muscles that come from lugging a chainsaw around the woods all day.

+1

You're just blessed that the thing ran that long....:)

That is no joke! I borrowed it from my buddy, the dealer... Just like the auto mechanic has a jalopy, the saw shop has a prize HT-101. The carb was all out of whack, and only going a little over half throttle. Chain was sharpened by a blind guy, and it is very good for cutting in circles. I'm going to put a new chain on it before I return, and at least rebuild the carb. It is leaking gas from somewhere. It should not bog when you juice the throttle. Hopefully it is one of the recall carbs, and I can just replace it.

I once was hired to clear the limbs back around a 200 acre corn field so the combine wouldn't get beat up during harvest. I bought a polesaw just for this job. It was some of the hardest work I have ever done. It was in the middle of August when I did it. Ticks, poison ivy, and 98 degree temps and the strain of using the saw about got the best of me. This was several years ago. I wouldn't even think about doing it now

Really did not know what I was going to find in this thread with that kind of a title:eek2:

Back