My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than a pesky exhaust leak I just can't find, the truck is running good...
The sound is pretty cool when I cold start it and engage the engine brake to help warm it up a little faster. the thick oil prevents the turbine from spinning until some heat happens, and with the straight pipe, all you hear is what sounds like a jet slowly winding up to take off

Going to go to the big city for a 10 day holiday starting tomorrow.. get to see some friends that I haven't seen in a long time, will be nice.

Well.. my CAD has been fed a little more... I got the Husky 65 from RandyB (thank you), and another 3 saws.. another 65 (will make RandyB's good to go again) with a bad piston, a Husky 35 that fired right up after sitting for who knows how long, and a Mac 15 that I passed on to RocketNorton... was a bit seized but it ended up turning over, lots of crud on it but with some old gas it polished up pretty good, it has most of it's paint (even on the rear handle), most of the decals.. but may need the points to get looked at... didn't seem to have any fire.

I also picked up another XR500, and got it running at RocketNorton's (thank you)...

And last but not least... I got 2 midget sprint cars... for $500... the stuff I got takes up my whole 20' trailer well stacked

Pictures will come, soon...

Yesterday I helped a friend, he had a 298 but it wouldn't cut straight, so I filed the rakers and the rest of the chain.. saw does much better now.. he was ready to buy a new bar.. he should anyhow,.. a 20" on a 298 is kinda ridiculous, but I don't think he's got much wood a lot bigger than that.. That's gotta be the one saw I've seen with the most compression in stock form.. just pulling on the rope you don't turn it over.. I can manage to drop start it about 2 out of 3 times without getting my fingers ripped off... ity does start very well though. He's the fellow I got my 394 from... it's in decent shape, missing all chainbrake related components, and it's a bit low on compression.. it's got rather stale fuel, and I got it to cough a couple times but not quite run... better gas may fix that but I think it'll come apart anyhow and get at least new rings.

Well.. my CAD has been fed a little more... I got the Husky 65 from RandyB (thank you), and another 3 saws.. another 65 (will make RandyB's good to go again) with a bad piston, a Husky 35 that fired right up after sitting for who knows how long, and a Mac 15 that I passed on to RocketNorton... was a bit seized but it ended up turning over, lots of crud on it but with some old gas it polished up pretty good, it has most of it's paint (even on the rear handle), most of the decals.. but may need the points to get looked at... didn't seem to have any fire.

I also picked up another XR500, and got it running at RocketNorton's (thank you)...

And last but not least... I got 2 midget sprint cars... for $500... the stuff I got takes up my whole 20' trailer well stacked

Pictures will come, soon...

was good meeting Efrem. never been where he's at, now got a good excuse to go up there...

haven't looked @ 15 anymore yet. 288 made some noise last nite. not oilin.

was good meeting Efrem. never been where he's at, now got a good excuse to go up there...

haven't looked @ 15 anymore yet. 288 made some noise last nite. not oilin.
You want me to post the vid of you tuning the pioneer here?

I guess you cleaned up the 288 jug and reused the piston? or did you find some parts?

Here's @rocketnorton giving the Pioneer an initial tuneup

I was taking a closer look at that Husky 35, and I'm wondering if it's really at all related to Husqvarna.. it doesn't say "Husqvarna" anywhere on it, just "Husky", which would explain why it's pretty much identical to the Frontier.. since I don't think Husqvarna "farmed out" a lot of manufacturing back then, and "Husky" would maybe not have been a trademarked name for them (back then).

I did a little work on the saws.. the Husky 35 had a crack in the fuel line, so I patched that and it runs well...

The 394 (high top) had a bad big-end bearing, a little crap went through the transfer ports and jammed the rings slightly, hence the bad compression... I freed the rings and tossed it back together.. it runs but you can hear it's not happy. I got a line on a 395 that got munched.. Perhaps the entire case is good and I can just swap it out, or I'll steal the crank and flywheel and split the cases.
Same fellow that has the 395 also has a 390 that a yarder fell over onto... all plastics demolished, a bent (but perhaps salvageable) 36" husky bar... lots of fins broken off the cylinder, but mountings are good, so internals should be fine.. carb should be fine too... I'm hoping I can pick it up cheapcheap... The chain on is perfect, and that's $60 right there.. if I can straighten the bar I'll be money ahead right there.

Well, figure I should update this a little.
I got a donor 394 low top, had a badly scored cylinder, so I took the whole crankcase off, spent hours washing the used engine oil that was used for bar oil off the thing... plastics were in rough shape, but the recoil cover was better than what I had... More washing.. I've got it spic and span now, though the plastics don't look new by any means, it still looks like a respectable used saw now. I did a mild port job on it, got a little greedy with the squish at .018", so we'll see how it likes that... I moved the exhaust port up about as much as I dropped the cylinder, cleaned it up nicely, and didn't lower the intake, though I widened and contoured it better.. opened up the lower transfers a little, it was a 1 hour port job. Rings were in fair shape, piston has a score where a bit of big end bearing cage went through the transfer port but it wasn't too serious.. In an ideal world I would replace it, cylinder was mint though, except for the punch marks from the bearing cage getting smooshed in the squish band (ditto for piston).. I was able to smooth the top of the piston alright. At some point I might make a mandrel to cut bigger squish bands, but for now I'll just run the bag out of it. It fired up on the 3rd pull, top end was set rather rich, so I fixed that, and it's sure snappy now.. I'll have to see which bar and chain I put on it.. I have a 28" that came with the donor saw, but it needs a chain.. Might just throw a 24" on for now... should run that like a boss.

The price of the donor saw was "fix the recoil on my MS170".. works for me, I put a new rope on and re-pinched the recoil keeper a little tighter, put some fuel in it and it fired up.
Then I looked at the chain... good lord.. some people should be kept away from blunt objects.. sharp ones too.. Now the chain on the MS170 is what.. Picco? needs like a 3/16th file? Now imagine it got sharpened with a 7/32, and he pulled up on the file as he sharpened... NO beak at all, a gullet full of metal, and somehow when sharpening from the right hand side, he managed to nearly file the rivets off... Now you know why the 28" bar needs a chain, cause I sure as heck am not risking life and limb with rivets and cover plates nearly filed through.. Oh, yeah, if it wasn't for the rocks he cut through, the chain would have had about 80% life left. I'm going to give him back his MS170 and tell him in needs a new chain the sooner the better, and tell him he's doing something wrong while filing if he's hitting rivets like that.

As far as trucks go.. I had a fellow come in a couple weeks ago to put new governor springs in his Dodge, and recut the fuel plate... made $50/hr, his total bill was 400, but he left happy... He said it felt like a whole new truck, it was all over the dirt road in 3rd, while before it was just a lame dog... BD diesel had dyno'd his truck at 268hp, and with just exhaust and injectors I don't see how they could pull that off.. he figures he's got 100hp more now, for 350 or better..
Then I took him for a ride in mine... he was pretty impressed, he figures I have over 500, though I think that's optimistic, my truck is lighter than his which might give that impression.
The new turbo is getting tuned up.. I had a sensor fail on me, so it limits my tuning ability, but if I want it to I can get 40PSI boost at 1500 RPM, and it sure pulls hard... Working on a touchscreen display and controller for it, but it's going to take a lot of time until it materializes.

Well.. I finally decided to get around to putting the rim drive hub on the Manhattan project I got from President... Had a few surprises along the way.
First off, the oiler was chock full of sawdust... and the drive gear was pretty much stripped out.. no biggie, so I take the whole oiler off to clean it out, and find out the seal is totally buggered as well (Note to self.. no more chinese seals)... Thankfully I pretty much tune it every time I take it out, so it didn't run lean, bearing still looked good and didn't get too dirty. The whole area behind the oiler was really full of junk too, so I'm going to try a few things to keep it clean.. this time I plugged the 'pry holes' for the oiler with plumbers putty.. it'll probably shake out though.. next time I might try something else if it doesn't work.

I dug up an old 94dl chain that had never been sharpened, but had been rocked out badly.. so I grab a new 7/32 file from the box and put it in the guide, and worked up a heck of a sweat just filing one side of the chain... it just didn't want to cut, file felt sharp, so I figured the chain was hard.. on the second side of the chain I got frustrated, took the file out of the guide and looked at it.. "Nicholson".. WTF was it doing in the box of Stihl files???... *SOMEONE* must have put it there, so I grabbed a new Stihl file and it cut like a charm... I had to file about 1/3 of each tooth off, but it looks pretty good again.

Also, on the 394 I built, I had noticed it when I put it together that the throttle wasn't opening all the way (about 2/3rds).. I tried to figure out why, but never could... I made a little sleeve out of a brass screw that went over the cable and shortened it a little.. now it opens up all the way... will have to put it into some wood and see if it makes a difference.. the saw does cackle nicely, and the sound of the Manhattan Project never gets old... I'll have to try it out as well with the 7 pin sprocket on it now.. I think the extra gearing will help it out a lot, as well as oiling if I ever run the 34" bar on it again.. Both the 394 and the Manhattan project have 28" bars now.

One thing I found out is the Manhattan project needs better air filtration... BADLY... I was cutting some very slightly rotted fir with a lot of bark,... about 18" rounds... I got about 10 rounds cut and it started going rich in a bad way and coughing, sputtering, and refusing to idle.. Air filter didn't *look* terribly dirty, but that fine crap had just plugged it solid. Another one of the parts I got from President was an old, bashed up white top cover, I'm probably going to hack a hole into it and adapt a K&N of suitable size to it.. Should help out a lot.. it's not the first time I've had to fight with the air filter.. but what do you expect.. it's supposed to flow 3.5hp worth of air, not 8, so even clean it's got it's pushing the limits

YEEHAW... Wow.. the 7 pin sprocket and a good chain on the Manhattan project sure rips good now! I might nearly need to rename it to "Instant Noodles"... I had a couple BIG blocks of fir and pine that I didn't feel like splitting, and it took care of those in a heck of a hurry.. the rakers are set a little low for noodling soft wood, there was no going through it 'nicely', it would just grab and stall... so just pin the throttle and let it chew..

Sure put a smile on my face

I will have to try that pipe out on the "wild" husky 65.. it has more aggressive exhaust timing which would work well..

Well, today I was pruning some very derelict apple and maple trees, and I took the wee little Husky 35 for it's first real job.. It did pretty good considering it's got old safety chain on it. being light made it easy to work, and it's pretty snappy too. For the bigger stuff (10".. not that big)I used the 064 and it cut it like butter.

Then I went and attacked some hawthorn bushes and wild roses that were crowding my irrigation lines and I'd been fighting with a lot.. the hawthorns are some kind of nasty bush.. I swear they have a venom on their spines, getting poked with a rusty nail hurts far less than one of those cursed things... birds like them since they hold on to their berries over the winter, giving them food,... I don't want to eradicate them though I do have to control them some.

Also picked up a 2100 again and fiddled with it, trying to get it to idle down, I thought it was the throttle plates that were too worn, and that was ONE problem, though I think that particular saw has bad seals or a broken case gasket as well.. Will have to look into it more, but that will probably only be next winter

f2596b065b921f45c9b381464631e772.jpg

Working on a big block 181c ported the exhaust advance the timing and see how it goes next weekend. Fiddly little fella!!!!

Back