My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, always fun to hear them fire up the first time.. How far did you go with the exhaust porting?, You do anything else?

Opened it up 65% of the bore. Which was 6mm wider than stock. So hopefully that wakes it up along with timing advance. Nothing else done. Not much to work with a clamshell and strato. [emoji37][emoji1360]

Well.. Guess I'll update this a little.. Last I posted I was waiting on the first calf, now I'm waiting on the last.. Most of that went good except for losing one calf in the process of a cesarean... The rest of them are spunky and nice

Haven't played with saws much at all... Lost a good friend (Neal Wright).. I posted a thread about that already though... Might put an offer for the Remington Logmaster he had in with the estate.. Looked to be in repairable condition.

Truck is running good, but the clutch is going out on it, found a piece of shim material stuck in the gap between the engine and bell housing... Called up Southbend clutch, and even through warranty was WAY over (it's 5 years old), they sent me a new clutch, no questions asked, including shipping... More than I would have asked for... That's some good service!

Tilled up a 10 acre field of rocks.. so I've been doing lots of rock picking.. it's just never ending.
Also busted a bone in my foot, so I'm a little gimpy right now.. did that 3 weeks ago, and it's getting better now.. Not going to try to do any sprinting yet, but I can hobble around alright

OK, summer's been going by quickly,.. doesn't feel much like summer here though.. In 30 years living here I've never seen such a cool average temperature through july and august... or as much rain. Usually we're up around 40C (105F) at this time, everything is bone dry and smokey from the forest fires... This year it's in the high 20C area (80F), we've had 2-3" of rain in the last month (average is 1" from may to september)... Oh well.. I don't have to cut more hay for another week or two, maybe it'll change then.

Meanwhile I took my truck to the local 1/8th mile drag races and had a blast.. Everyone was surprised I entered, and they figured it would be boring to watch.. surprised them once more by beating a new dodge truck and a 1970 Charger 426.. I did get my arse handed to me by a new Camaro, no surprise there, though I still got the holeshot on him!

Poor chevy slept at the light, and it only got worse from there

Takes a little fuel to light the turbo up
13719468_10154347765234420_6064367090729998778_o_Got Smoke.jpg

Against the 08 6.7L dodge
13730927_10154347737409420_2518431478713136040_o_sm.jpg

Against the 426.. it was in stock form, but still not bad for a dually
13731828_10154347745539420_1359705094111059952_o_sm.jpg

Back into chainsaw season again!. Got to run the 394 I built this spring from 2 parts saws... one run lean and the other with a bad big end bearing.. couldn't resist the dremel though.. I have a 24" bar on it and was cutting very well seasoned 20DBH fir.. went through it like a hot knife through butter.. chain had super aggressive rakers.. fixed that by grinding it into a rock really good and resharpening it (GRRRR)

Picked up an old dilapidated ATV, 1990 Yamaha big bear 350 for $100.. cleaned the carb and it fired up, front end needs some work but it runs awesome, have the little trailer and have been getting my firewood with that since it can do hills better than the 1 ton.. Speaking of which I roasted the clutch out of it in a bad way.. I was waiting on it to go, already had the new clutch, and am in the process of putting a 6 speed into it at the same time now... I did manage to make it home with some combination of rivet friction and wind resistance between the plates
20161016_232623sm.jpg

You are a buys guy. Nice job on that truck she runs well. And I must say I'm really impressed with the turbo retrofit. Keep the thread coming I've been following from the start.

Thanks @smokey7, it's just a work in progress, that will never be quite completed.. I'll always find something else to do to it.. Thinking of twin turbos now of course. Lots of stuff about the build I don't mention here, like all the programming that goes on to make it work, and all the hangups I run into along the way. Lots of reading material on a forum dedicated to VGT turbo swaps and my build in particular here http://community.lilbb.com/coding_v1/my-life-my-coding/ I decided not to use the "out of the box" program, and in fact have never even looked at it.. While I admire the way the fellow programmed it to not even need a TPS sensor, I used it and a LOT of other sensors because I had a more capable computer to work with, with more inputs and outputs, etc.

I'm currently working on a display screen, currently programming it in Visual Basic, but will be totally redone at a later date in a different language to run on a tiny little Linux computer called a Raspberry Pi.. It's not a whole lot bigger a footprint than a credit card, but has touchscreen capability, camera, hard drive, wifi, bluetooth, infrared and a whole lot more, but I'm going to have to learn how to program in that language first (steep learning curve)

Yea all that programming stuff is way over my head. Those launches at the track are alot of fun. She hop much? Is that turbo setup pretty streetable the way you got it set up?

no hop at all, a little wheelspin in 2wd though. Yes, that turbo is very streetable!

Just got the 6 speed in.. what a beast of a transmission that thing is.. probably closing in on 300 lbs and a 120 lb transfer case on top. Still have LOTS of finishing work to do to it tomorrow.. transmission mounts, driveshafts, interior console, etc, reverse switch wiring...

I tried a few passes in 2wd and then went into 4wd.. definitely hooks better.. I was running just 20PSI in the rear tires.. could have run 10 PSI most likely.. maybe then I'd get enough contact area. I did holeshot that new camaro with a 4wd launch :)

Just buttoning everything up, got the new center console in, ran into a couple minor issues with the tcase shifter, they're fixed... I put a better but completely different transmission mount in, that took a LOT of fiddling.. About the only thing I have left to do is to lengthen the reverse switch wire and tie it all off..

Had the truck on the dyno today... put down 437hp from 2200 to 2900 RPM with 998 ft lb torque @ 2250... Good to see what it can do anyhow.. Then I had a beer or few with Rocketnorton again which is always a good time :)

Working on uploading pictures and video of the dyno runs.. I'll post them up when they're done

Guess I'll post another update...
Got a steam cleaner for free.. had it running in a days work, so that's really handy.. so I'm going to be putting it to good use here.
Wintertime is tractor maintenance time.. the Massey 165 got a top-to-bottom service... Injector pump needed a reseal, and a little bit of tuning up here and there elsewhere on the tractor
Massey 255 that we got in the fall is getting a full service as well, and it'll even get some paint and decals.. Injector pump on that needed a reseal in a bad way as well, and of course I'm looking at any source of leaks on it anywhere else.. the tractor, despite being a little rusty and faded, is in stunningly good condition. inside and out. I did a valve lash adjustment on it, and there isn't any trace of black soot or anything up there, so it's been well taken care of.

Before and after pics of the injector pump
20170124_122537.jpg 20170125_125714.jpg

doing the valves
20170201_010048.jpg

and finally, yeah, it's in a few pieces around the shop
20170201_013847.jpg

Got the first calf of the year, more coming soon
17200087_10154173249021790_2080552462_o.jpg

Ordered a farmertec big bore kit for the 064.. should be here in a couple weeks... probably will need to do a bit of fiddling with it to clean it up, but it should be alright.. the $45 044 I bought in the winter is running nicely, as is the 394...

The Massey 255 is slowly coming together, waiting for parts.. Paint turned out nice.. not going to win an automotive beauty contest with it but it'll be fine for a tractor! Doing wiring, etc at this point. Decals were held on with magnets for the picture.. they're stuck on there now.
16880618_10154135948271790_430701361_o.jpg

Had the truck on the dyno today... put down 437hp from 2200 to 2900 RPM with 998 ft lb torque @ 2250... Good to see what it can do anyhow.. Then I had a beer or few with Rocketnorton again which is always a good time :)

Working on uploading pictures and video of the dyno runs.. I'll post them up when they're done

I used to have a Dodge 2500 with Cummins. Quick little truck, made 522hp, 1150 ft lbs to the wheels. Just had injectors, a turbo and a bit of tuning. And a well built transmission.

Traded it for a Fox body Mustang, snowmobile and trailer a few years ago. Sold the trailer and Mustang, traded tge sled on a TIG welder.

Back