My mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntn Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After hurting my shoulder in November, I finally got out to make use of the lovely weather. I was told I didn't need surgery so I went and cut down some locust with a buddy that I hadn't cut with for a couple of years. I can work through the pain, I just didn't want to damage it more if I didn't have to. I know lifting those rounds probably didn't do it any good.:msp_biggrin:

janwood2.jpg

I went by a scale on the way home so I stopped and the trailer weighed 10,200 lbs. The pile behind the trailer is a bur oak that I got just before I got hurt.

janwood1.jpg

Every morning I like to look out the bathroom window at my nice investment. Each row is just over a cord so I have used 2 cords this year and have a 1/2 in the basement. The left 2 rows are oak and locust and the ones on the right were supposed to be ash when I went and got it but I don't know what it is. Looks a lot like ash, but the bark is brown. Some of it is ash.

You should have given me a call and I would have come help you load all that nasty locust in back of my truck. :msp_scared:After all your not that far from me, and that's the least I can do.:D

Those look like nice pallets, are they plastic? would be nice to get a handful of those so I don't have to worry about replacing them every couple years. You have a nice looking firewood setup in your yard there!

Your trailer looks alot like mine (yours is in better shape!!), mine is an equipment trailer rated at 14,000 lbs. It has worked great for firewood.
attachment.php

View attachment 215893

Yeah, they are plastic. I used to get them from my last job. They are great but can get slick when wet so I just pick them up as I go if needed.

Yep, you have a nice tralier also. Mine is 12,000 lbs rated. It is a 2005 that I found on craigslist a couple of years ago for $1500. It had new tires but I had to add the sideboards. Great find! I was looking to just a 7000 lb trailer but am glad I came across this one.

Looks like some fun to be had in that trailer load. Those look like some serious chunks. Just be sure to take it easy so you don't end up back on the couch. Nice looking piles on the pallets. I'd like looking at those from my window for sure. :bowdown:

Thanks, guys! I can't get too out of control being in town. I usually split where I cut but this time I didn't because I wanted to get in and out and I was with another guy. I have more wood in the alley on the other side of the fence. It is on wood skids that machines were imported on. It is stuff that I use more for camping. I worry that some of that could disapper but have been lucky so far. Thankfully, there is a light in the alley and barking dogs.

I split most of the trailer today. Fiskars worked pretty good on most of the big rounds to split them in half to move to the splitter. A few split easy enough that I just Fiskared them all the way. I didn't want to get carried away with being hurt, but it felt good being out there. I have missed not working on wood as it is my mental vacation and I have gained 10 lbs since I got hurt.

Your Mess

That is a good looking mess of wood for sure! Keep up the good work and be careful with that injured shoulder.

Nosmo

Just be careful splitting by hand. I think that’s the worst when lifting anything over your head… Getting mine scoped this Thursday. Ugh .. Nice wood.

Info

I wish my mess looked that good. I got a splitter on my tractor I split in the woods when I do work in the woods but when I get back to the shop the mess follows me I think. Very good job I got a bad shoulder and I thought I would hand split won't do that agin put me out of operation for a week.

Last edited:
Now I really have a mess. I had to get as much as I could this weekend because by next weekend the heavy equipment will have it all piled up. I got one load of locust and one load of a little locust filled out with ash to go with the one load of locust I got previously. They even came with a loader tractor to load me and pull me to the road. I have no hope of having grass in the back yard this spring.:bang: I think I'll call it quits on gathering until the fall.

attachment.php

Thanks, guys! I can't get too out of control being in town. I usually split where I cut but this time I didn't because I wanted to get in and out and I was with another guy. I have more wood in the alley on the other side of the fence. It is on wood skids that machines were imported on. It is stuff that I use more for camping. I worry that some of that could disapper but have been lucky so far. Thankfully, there is a light in the alley and barking dogs.

I split most of the trailer today. Fiskars worked pretty good on most of the big rounds to split them in half to move to the splitter. A few split easy enough that I just Fiskared them all the way. I didn't want to get carried away with being hurt, but it felt good being out there. I have missed not working on wood as it is my mental vacation and I have gained 10 lbs since I got hurt.

Work smart, not hard! Especially during recuperation. I learned that due to two hip replacements.

Harry K

Those look like nice pallets, are they plastic? would be nice to get a handful of those so I don't have to worry about replacing them every couple years. You have a nice looking firewood setup in your yard there!
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

View attachment 230111

230111d1332349689-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332349683-491009-jpg

I'm getting there. Got sunburned working on it all day sunday and it has been raining ever since. I have about 3 cords of ash to split and stack and should be done. Wife actually said sternly "No more wood!"

Last edited:

I'm getting there. Got sunburned working on it all day sunday and it has been raining ever since. I have about 3 cords of ash to split and stack and should be done. Wife actually said sternly "No more wood!"

Wow! You made some huge progress on filling in those ricks.

I think what your wife meant was no more wood in the yard. Maybe you can find some place off site to store more wood, then you could keep building up the supply!

Thats awesome man.....Im jealous!! I only have 1.5 cords in my backyard :(

Is that all green wood? Do you experience good drying stacked like that?

Thats awesome man.....Im jealous!! I only have 1.5 cords in my backyard :(

Is that all green wood? Do you experience good drying stacked like that?

The 2 rows (cords) left of the no parking sign is from last year, except for the top of the left one. The pile gets a lot of sun and wind and it should be dry. It has dried pretty well just in piles waiting to be stacked. The 3 cords of ash I have yet to do will be dry for sure and I only burn about 4 1/2 cords a year, so it is more than 2 years worth. When I am done I should have 3 cords ash, 3 cords oak, and 5 cords honey locust.

I used to get the plastic pallets from my last job. I called my cousin who still works there and he said we can't get any more but he will give me six of his. When I get those, I'll have 30 of them with 2 cords + going on six of them. I will have to find a place for one more cord.

I was going to work some more tonight, but it started raining when I got home , so I'm going out to eat some wings.:rock:

You did yourself proud... That's a lot of work and it shows. Nice Job!!

Back