My 'new' 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally found time to replace my stock fixed jet carb for a fully adjustable carb. I also enlarged the stock hole in my muffler and added 2 more holes (above and below the stock hole). Adjusted the carb and went out and made a couple of cuts and I'm very impressed! :D I had the 20" bar on with the 'safety chain' (to be replaced) and was cutting on some 16" diameter pieces of Hickory. With my new 16" bar and RM chain (I'll be cutting mostly downed wood), I'll probably be even more impressed. I realize that some of y'all have bigger saws, and saws that are professionally modified, and that a carb swap and muffler mod is pretty minor, but I gotta start somewhere. If my little saw with the mods impresses me now, can't imagine what I'll do when I can afford a bigger saw (used 036Pro/360Pro, 361 or 044/440) and do mods to it - I'll have a 'perma-grin' for a week! :D
To everyone that has posted regarding muffler mods, carb swaps etc., thank ya for the info. Glad I found this forum and I continue to enjoy reading and posting.

That's good news Paul. Remember, if it does what you want it to do; then it don't need any more mods. I'd put an RS33 Stihl chain on it and it will cut even faster and kickback with this chain is not really a problem as long as you don't cut on the tip of the bar or let the bar tip touch another piece of wood while make a cut on the log you are working on. So enjoy the saw; bigger is not always better if you are just cutting firewood. Tom :) :)

glad u got u saw rite. no need to mod it. its fine like it is. rs chain is faster on it in clean wood. later if u really want more outa u saw have it modded. but u mite be surprised . u have to learn the saw all over again.

West Texas said:
That's good news Paul. Remember, if it does what you want it to do; then it don't need any more mods. I'd put an RS33 Stihl chain on it and it will cut even faster and kickback with this chain is not really a problem as long as you don't cut on the tip of the bar or let the bar tip touch another piece of wood while make a cut on the log you are working on. So enjoy the saw; bigger is not always better if you are just cutting firewood. Tom :) :)

Hi Tom,
Kevin here. I've thought about getting a RS chain for both my 16" and 20" bar, but I've read here on AS that for cutting on dirty wood (with most of my cutting on downed wood) that RM chain holds an edge better, stays sharper longer. I think I'll still get at least one RS chain for each bar. I guess a downed tree doesn't always mean that it'll be dirty, just gotta keep the chain out of the dirt.
Regarding my saw's performance, I would have been happy with it in it's stock version, but I found this forum, (as I was doing research on buying my first saw) and read about getting more performance out of my saw. Since the muffler mod and carb swap were inexpensive, and I'm fairly mechanical, I thought why not. I like to get the most bang for my hard earned buck. I'm definitely happy with my 260, I'd just like to have at least a 036Pro/360/361 one day. :)
And Tom, thanks for the info I've got from you. :)

Forgive the name change Kevin, I couldn't find our PM file and forgot. ha! Yes, I think we fall in to two categories. We like to have a nice saw that fits our needs. Then we like to have some more saws as icing on the cake. One fellow said that if you don't have at least seven saws, it means you don't like them. Ha! At one point I actually had seven and my 'boss' who does the cooking around here, sorta put her foot down and I sold a few. I will soon have two fully modified 361's and two slightly modified 026's and that is going to be my stopping point for a while. Some people pay as much as $200 to attend a professional football game after they pay for the ticket, parking, beer and food. I prefer to watch it on TV and spend my money on chainsaws. :laugh: :laugh:

Glad to see so much support for the 260. Once I get caught up on my 'day job' and 'part of my honey-do' list (not all, just part, just enough to satisfy :D), it's off to find some wood to cut :D .
I've learned from reading here how important PPE is, so...:blush: I'm adding a pair of chainsaw chaps to my eye and hearing protection. I'm normally very careful around machinery (farm equipment such as augers, exposed drive shafts on implements etc.), but with a saw, ya just never know. I thank the good Lord that I haven't had any accidents thus far. When my chaps arrive sometime this week, I'll be wearing them, but I'll try to use my saw as if I didn't have them - just as carefully.

West Texas said:
Forgive the name change Kevin, I couldn't find our PM file and forgot. ha! Yes, I think we fall in to two categories. We like to have a nice saw that fits our needs. Then we like to have some more saws as icing on the cake. One fellow said that if you don't have at least seven saws, it means you don't like them. Ha! At one point I actually had seven and my 'boss' who does the cooking around here, sorta put her foot down and I sold a few. I will soon have two fully modified 361's and two slightly modified 026's and that is going to be my stopping point for a while. Some people pay as much as $200 to attend a professional football game after they pay for the ticket, parking, beer and food. I prefer to watch it on TV and spend my money on chainsaws. :laugh: :laugh:

No problem on forgetting my name. Yep, I have me a saw for my needs - next is realistically a saw for my wants :D . My 'boss' wouldn't mind me getting another saw - she would just want to match the price with a shopping trip to town, my goodness that woman likes to shop. I and my wife (and mom-in-law) went back home (where I'm from) to Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), for a vacation last summer and she would have shopped the whole time we were there (about a week) if I would have let her!
Anyway, what you have for saws sounds about right, but I'll 'probably' get just one more one day. :D

260stihl

Can't blame you for liking that 260. Its one of the handiest saws Stihl makes. Lightweight, easy to work on and best of all easy to use. As for mods they do just fine out of the box as well. Did you get the MS260Pro or the MS260?

THALL10326 said:
Can't blame you for liking that 260. Its one of the handiest saws Stihl makes. Lightweight, easy to work on and best of all easy to use. As for mods they do just fine out of the box as well. Did you get the MS260Pro or the MS260?

Mine is the MS260. The weight is nice. It's almost to light. I have to always be aware of where the bar is - not that I shouldn't normally. The saw is very easy to handle.

Last edited:
KMB said:
Hi Tom,
Kevin here. I've thought about getting a RS chain for both my 16" and 20" bar, but I've read here on AS that for cutting on dirty wood (with most of my cutting on downed wood) that RM chain holds an edge better, stays sharper longer. ....
Try the Oregon 95VP also - you may be in for a surprice!

The 95VP cuts a narrower kerf (= less resistance in the cut), and it is a semi-chisel, but with a narrower radius on the corner than RM and other regular semi-chisel.

You can probably use it on a regular .050 bar - at least for test puposes with a new chain.

SawTroll said:
Try the Oregon 95VP also - you may be in for a surprice!

The 95VP cuts a narrower kerf (= less resistance in the cut), and it is a semi-chisel, but with a narrower radius on the corner than RM and other regular semi-chisel.

You can probably use it on a regular .050 bar - at least for test puposes with a new chain.

My bars are .325 pitch, 0.063 gauge so the 95VP wouldn't work for me. I have been considering Oregon 22BP (Stihl 26RM), 35LG and 22LP (Stihl 26RS), and WoodsmanPRO 23RC (Stihl 26RS) chains.

Both Oregon and Carlton makes .050 NK bars that will fit the MS260.
Maybe you will consider it when one of your bars are due for replacement?
Baileys will be able to set you up.

With the bars you have, I would settle for two RS and one RM/RMC (or vice versa if most of your wood is dirty) for each bar.

SawTroll said:
Both Oregon and Carlton makes .050 NK bars that will fit the MS260.
Maybe you will consider it when one of your bars are due for replacement?
Baileys will be able to set you up.

With the bars you have, I would settle for two RS and one RM/RMC (or vice versa if most of your wood is dirty) for each bar.

I might go to different gauge bars when they wear out, we'll see when the time comes.
Since most of the wood I'll be getting into is downed stuff (tops left over from logging, and if a homeowner has a downed oak that they want to be rid of etc.), I think I'd go two RM and one RS for each bar. I don't have very much experience in falling trees - especially where there is limited space. Out in the woods I could handle, but in someones backyard in the city - I'd have to look it over real careful. If I had ANY doubts, I'd recommend a tree pro to do the falling and I'd be glad to cut the tree up for firewood for myself.

Back