My new Babies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been in the tree business for over 15 years.Stihl's have always ruled the roost on my job sites.Last week,I decided it was time to buy two new big saws because the ones I have are on their last leg.I usually buy MS660's,but I went with husky 395xp's this time.These are absolutely the strongest saws I've ever owned.Over the years I've worn out 8 066/MS660's,they are still great saws,but from now on when I get into the big stuff,the 395's will get the call

I've been in the tree business for over 15 years.Stihl's have always ruled the roost on my job sites.Last week,I decided it was time to buy two new big saws because the ones I have are on their last leg.I usually buy MS660's,but I went with husky 395xp's this time.These are absolutely the strongest saws I've ever owned.Over the years I've worn out 8 066/MS660's,they are still great saws,but from now on when I get into the big stuff,the 395's will get the call

I've owned and regularly used an 066 and a 395 for several years. 066 is a good saw, but I love the 395 and think it doesn't get the repect on AS it deserves. Much smoother than the 066, and mine has been bombproof. If I had go out with only 2 saws, it would be a 7900 and the 395. I think maybe the 066 has a tiny bit more midrange, but my 395 got stronger for probably 15 tanks and continues now 5 years later to run like new. Filter stay clean while the 066 seems to be a dust magnet. The 395 with a 36 Canon bar is a bit of a back breaker, though.

I ran the two side by side,and I know everyone will have their own opinion,but to me it doesn't seem like these two saws need to be in the same catagory.The orange saw has 3 more cc's,but it feels more like 20.The beast is heavier though.I do alot of big timber clearing as well as running a tree service,I keep a 36 inch bar on one of the 395's and a 24 on the other,the 36 inch bar doesn't slow it down a bit.:rockn:

This is a bit odd to me - I allways thought that the 660 had the upper hand on the 395xp, both stock..........:bang: :bang:

I was a bit suprised myself,but what I'm the most interested in is the durability and life span of the husky.I have typically gotten two years out of the 066/660's.I'm anxious to see how the husky's hold up in the long run

This is a bit odd to me - I allways thought that the 660 had the upper hand on the 395xp, both stock..........:bang: :bang:

I've run my 395 and 066 side by side (stock) switching back and forth for many many hours. 066 a touch stronger in the lower rpm range, but at normal cutting speed they are pretty much dead even (32, 36 and 42 inch bars). 066 lighter, 395 much smoother. Both good saws, and have been real good to me, but I much prefer the smoothness of the 395.

Last edited:
I was a bit suprised myself,but what I'm the most interested in is the durability and life span of the husky.I have typically gotten two years out of the 066/660's.I'm anxious to see how the husky's hold up in the long run

i got a 28 year old Husky 61, courtesy of a old logger. Well maintained, lil muff mod, sounds like a TuffTruck going thru the mudbog, cuts thru a 12" log in seconds.

i like my husky :biggrinbounce2:

I imagine the superior anti vibe of the 395 would translate to a nice cut.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 66/660 saws, but you dont hear much on the 395 around here.

I've got two red oaks to cut down one day this week,one is around 36 inches,and the other is even bigger,I'll have to cut them into four foot peices to get them through the customers fence.That'll be a good test,since they are onlt a week old,I've yet to really try them out.I'll give another report when I'm done...I've also got two 385XP's,both are two years old,and still run like new.That is pretty good for us,even with careful maintenence,8 to 12 hours a day,six days a week,we get around two years out of a new saw provided no one drops a tree on it or runs over one with a truck or a loader

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back