My new Cherry Willow Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whicky1978

Reaction score
I have planted two cherry willow trees that I bought on ebay. They were in small pots and about three feet tall. One of the pots had black ant colony. I didn't hVe any pesticide so 8 tried wash the ants away. The ants are still around. Will they hurt the tree? They are not climbing the tree. I read boiling water will kill the ants but I'm afraid this will hurt the tree.

Also something as scraped some of the bark off of the same tree. I suspect it was one of my dogs, but there is rabbit poo next too it. Is there a way to deter this such as using soapy water? Or will that hurt a small tree?

Stop using chemicals. Ants don't do anything. Hot water may scold the fine roots. Deer poop looks like rabbit poop and rabbits don't rub trees, but they do eat bark of saplings. Plant them, water them, ants will move. If you still have rubs, put drain tile around it, but take it off when you are around, PITA i know but it will train the rabbit deer to stay away. If it continues, kill the animal, eat them and bury the innerds by the tree, circle of life with a little karma thrown in.

Latest posts

Back