My new CSM is getting close to done! Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting closer all the time. I just finished up the carriage and the frame bed. Now I need to add log dogs and fence stops. Then finish up the all thread adjusters and crank/chain setup. I have the parts just need to finish. I am also building a trailer to haul the logs home. All these materials are repurposed/ recycled metals on both the trailer and the mill. I only bought the angle iron for the tracks. Everything else is recycled. I will get the last of those parts welded then a coat of paint on the entire thing so it looks like new. It is a mismatch of colors now but that is what comes with recycled metals. I cannot wait to mill some logs. I have the Super mac 125 power head with a 36" bar. I have a remote fuel cell and bar tip oiler tanks. The trailer is great brakes on both axles full width bed- my first logs I mill will be the lumber for the bed top. The trailer will get a 12,000 pound winch on the tongue with a over the rear tower and pillow block to drag logs up to and on. I have built the entire project trailer/ mill, paint, bolts, wheels, lights, everything for under $400!

Here she is:

Looking good! A little paint and it will shine. I really like the cost of materials :rock:
:popcorn:

That is a lot of sweat equity you have in your trailer and your mill, great work! :rock:

I have to ask, your track, the angle iron you used, you have it welded with one edge straight up, correct?

I'm no expert, in any way, but usually when I see angle iron used as a track for something it is usually welded with the two edged down and the back of the angle iron, the 90° part is up, and that is used as the track. I worry that the way you are using your angle iron it could get bent easily which would throw your carriage off as it moves along. More than anything I'm trying to learn, I'm not saying you did it wrong, I'm just asking why, so I can maybe learn something. :msp_biggrin: because I know I've still got a LOT to learn.

Cheers!

Thanks Fellas!

I did put the angle iron on edge. I used 1/4 thick so it is pretty heavy stuff. Reason I did this is the cast wheels I bought have a 1/4 slot cut into them to ride on the dge of 1/4 metal. So it rolls super easy and stay perfect straight and on track and due to the groove it is hard to "derail". This thick stuff is pretty strong . The log bunks are just long enough so a log will roll past the track edge. I hope for the most part. If it does not work out in the end I will post but I like it better than the angle iron down which is what I had done at first but the carriage rolled ok but when we flipped them up and set the carriage in the groove of the wheels it rolled way easy and stayed on track better. It is 1"X1" angle iron so pretty low profile and strong. I think it can take a pretty good beating from logs rolling over it.:chainsawguy: More pix to come as I make progress this week.
I am learning here as I go to!

Paradise is in Northern California just outside Chico. Small town in the lower foothills/ mountains.

Yep I wanted this bad boy solid. That is 7" channel for the sides and the cross beams are close to 4" I beams. Very stout! I wanted a solid platform so if I decide to upgrade to a band mill down the road it will handle anything I throw at it. I am going to put angled skids on both ends so I can drag it up on the trailer if need be to a new location but for the most part it will have a spot next to the house in the shade. I hope to have the saw in by the weekend.

Your cookin with gas ! ! !

Keep us posted. Can't wait to see your first cut. What are you going to power her with?

Old Blue
A fellow victim in taxland by the sea. In....................................................................
Kali-bone-ya

Looks awesome :bowdown: I am also looking forward to the first cut. Where did you get the axils/wheels from?
Just wondering, did you consider making the trailer and mill bed the same thing? looking at the frames they appear quite similar?

Looks awesome :bowdown: I am also looking forward to the first cut. Where did you get the axils/wheels from?
Just wondering, did you consider making the trailer and mill bed the same thing? looking at the frames they appear quite similar?

I bought the trailer as scrap off craigslist for $200. It was a 38ft park model trailer. The guy had stripped the top with all the RV junk so it was just a plain frame. The cool part is Park Models are heavy framed. 7" channel. And big axles with 14" brakes on both. So all very strong. He had cut the frame in half or close to it. So I eneded up with a trailer bed of 17.5 foot long and the mill is 15.5 long. I can cut up to 12ft boards with this. Next the wheels/tires came from a Chevy truck Bought those off craigslist also.
I wanted the mill separate from the trailer so we can go haul the logs home and mill them up from there. If I want to take the mill with me I can pull it up on the trailer and take it along!
But now I have a great trailer to haul whatever including our logs. Pretty cool setup I think. I am super happy that it is all very heavy materials. This thing should last a lifetime and should cut some nice straight boards. I also want to build a bandsaw mill down the road so I will be able to upgrade and use the frame for that.
I have an alaskan mill for out in the woods and also the vertical mini mill when we go. This will help us get the cant cut if it is a big log then we can get it home and make some lumber on the carriage mill much easier.

We have a Mac 610 for limbing ext.. We have a stihl 041AV for falling and limbing also. We have a Husky L 65 with the Alaskan mill. We have a Mac Super Pro 105 hot rodded up to a 125 for the Carriage mill. So we are set. It has taken us 3 months to get this far and get it all together. But a piece at a time!:rock:

I picked up the paint yesterday and I got the holes all drilled for the all thread adjusting bars. So more PICTURES to come shortly!!!! It will be a good weekend and I will make good progress.

Back