My new Dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabertooth

Sabertooth

ArboristSite Operative
My Dolmar 5105 finally came in, had to wait out the long weekend :(

Handled to me with half a tank of gas in it, so I guessed they checked if it was running too lean ect. He says that it doesn't need to come back for a carb tuneup :)taped:) We'll see...

Ran a tank though her a few hours ago. I'm very impressed with it so far, can't wait to see it after its broke in :) Taking it easy for the first few tanks, no deep cuts for a few days at least.

View attachment 233340

JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Congrats!

Thats an odd statement from your dealer (about not needing a carb tuneup). Ideally any saw should be tuned at LEAST once a year to account for fluctuations changing variables.

Sounds like a good excuse for you to learn how to tune your own carb though :)

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
I stuck a 5100 non cat muffler on mine to get rid of the heat of the catalytic muffler.

A couple weeks ago we were out cutting in some bigger wood and the 5105 stayed right up there with the usual bunch of 60cc chainsaws.

attachment.php

Sabertooth

Sabertooth

ArboristSite Operative
I stuck a 5100 non cat muffler on mine to get rid of the heat of the catalytic muffler.

A couple weeks ago we were out cutting in some bigger wood and the 5105 stayed right up there with the usual bunch of 60cc chainsaws.

I already hate how hot the muffler gets. I'm planning on replacing it with the 5100 one after the warranty is off it, which is a year.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
The cat muffler has a exhaust pipe arrangement snaked across its front. It emits more heat than you would ever believe.

When you shut the chainsaw off, the muffler cracks and pops for a while until the heat settles down.

The catalytic reaction of the muffler makes the heat.

Sabertooth

Sabertooth

ArboristSite Operative
The cat muffler has a exhaust pipe arrangement snaked across its front. It emits more heat than you would ever believe.

When you shut the chainsaw off, the muffler cracks and pops for a while until the heat settles down.

The catalytic reaction of the muffler makes the heat.

Even after a tank or so it pops. Its like sitting on a chest of a person and saying take a breath.

Less heat= more freedom/ power. EPA is a ####. Lets worry about random small engines, but the big picture.

struggle

struggle

Got stumps?
I've run several tanks through my 5105 and never noticed the crackling from the muffler. Not sure if I will change it out. It runs very well as is for now and or I am just to lazy to mess with it at this time. maybe I if I get bored I will tinker with it.

I had been snubbing the Dolmars but I could not pass up the 5105 I have and I have not been dissapointed one bit with it.

I oreder some chain for the new 9010 earlier this week. and still not sure if I will fuel it yet to try it out. It is only new once:msp_biggrin:

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Why not put a non cat 5100 muffler on it and swap it back if you have to take in in for warranty? Even the 5100 can benifit from a little larger exh port. I opened mine up from the 10-11 mm to just over half inch and its still stock appearing and not too noisy. RPMs are right at the limiter 14.5 after tune for best power in the cut. I suspect the lower limit of the 5105 will have it on the limiter big time once the muff is either modded or swaped for a 5100 and then tuned in the wood for best power. This should be expected and as long as it is properly tuned for the most bar buried power it won't be lean. Just makes it a pain in the ass not being able to hear the 4 stroking because of the limiter out of the wood.

Sabertooth

Sabertooth

ArboristSite Operative
Why not put a non cat 5100 muffler on it and swap it back if you have to take in in for warranty? Even the 5100 can benifit from a little larger exh port. I opened mine up from the 10-11 mm to just over half inch and its still stock appearing and not too noisy. RPMs are right at the limiter 14.5 after tune for best power in the cut. I suspect the lower limit of the 5105 will have it on the limiter big time once the muff is either modded or swaped for a 5100 and then tuned in the wood for best power. This should be expected and as long as it is properly tuned for the most bar buried power it won't be lean. Just makes it a pain in the ass not being able to hear the 4 stroking because of the limiter out of the wood.

I only buy from dealers. I have one year on the motor, so whatever. It sounds almost perfect to my ear at the moment, which is why I'm taking it easy in cuts for a few tanks. It may sound a little too lean, but I'm half assing cuts for a few tanks.

struggle

struggle

Got stumps?
I only buy from dealers. I have one year on the motor, so whatever. It sounds almost perfect to my ear at the moment, which is why I'm taking it easy in cuts for a few tanks. It may sound a little too lean, but I'm half assing cuts for a few tanks.

I don't buy into the run it easy for a long time. Run it like you would normally do and it will break in the way it is to be used.

Main thing is to use a quality oil and fuel.

Whne I bought my MS660 the first thing I did was bury the 36" bar into large cotton wood trees. There really is no easy way to break in a chainsaw.

Just run it with common sense and if a person is short on that then nothing they will do will work out in anything they touch:popcorn:

Sabertooth

Sabertooth

ArboristSite Operative
I don't buy into the run it easy for a long time. Run it like you would normally do and it will break in the way it is to be used.

Main thing is to use a quality oil and fuel.

Whne I bought my MS660 the first thing I did was bury the 36" bar into large cotton wood trees. There really is no easy way to break in a chainsaw.

Just run it with common sense and if a person is short on that then nothing they will do will work out in anything they touch:popcorn:

Someone told me that I run a chain saw full out. ( Compare to him. I'm a small guy) I know what you mean, but I like to work em in easy. At least 3 to 5 tanks. They don't run full power, so I don't work them that way.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Someone told me that I run a chain saw full out. ( Compare to him. I'm a small guy) I know what you mean, but I like to work em in easy. At least 3 to 5 tanks. They don't run full power, so I don't work them that way.

Always run at full throttle, but avoid too much of it out of wood (just for carb tuning). Also avoid prolonged cuts. :msp_wink:

Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll

Firewood Hack
Always run at full throttle, but avoid too much of it out of wood (just for carb tuning). Also avoid prolonged cuts. :msp_wink:

Didn't you mean, " While using your saw that is inferior to the 346XP with poor sideways balance and sluggish throtle responce......"?

Oh well I guess I wouldn't have agreed with you anyway.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
paduroiul

paduroiul

ArboristSite Member
Just got my 5105 out from service. The guy said that I flooded it and he recommended that when it happens again I should remove the spark plug, turn the saw upside down and pull the starter rope a few times until I see some big drops of gas. Do you do the same ?, I heard some say that I should keep the throttle engaged with my foot and pull the rope until it starts...
Also the dealer said that that I should use 95 octane gas instead of 98 or higher because it's "too dry" or it runs "too dry" - something like that; I don't know what to think of it... from what I read so far the higher the better...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just got my 5105 out from service. The guy said that I flooded it and he recommended that when it happens again I should remove the spark plug, turn the saw upside down and pull the starter rope a few times until I see some big drops of gas. Do you do the same ? ......

That is good advice, but did he tell you how to avoid flooding the saw in the first place?