My New Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok...It's been a long time coming but I am now the grinning owner of a new Dolmar 7900. My long-time Husqvarna dealer has brought on the Dolmar line and they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I went with the HD Filter and 24 inch bar, Oregon LGX chain. They ordered me in this saw and it came in PHO. I went with a Husky bar because they would have needed to order in the Dolmar bar...I couldn't stand the suspense any more. They installed the HD Filter for free and sent me on my way saw in hand. As tradition here is my new saw in front of the fireplace.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok...today I planned to give it a test run on a big locust that I let sit all summer. I worked this tree in the spring and I went down the trunk as far as I could with my 455 Rancher...the wood became too big for the Husky. Today I returned with the reinforcement. Daylight was quickly going away so I didn't cut as much wood as I wanted but I was more interested in getting used to this beast and the long bar. I have never run a 24 incher before. Here is a pic of the big wood.
attachment.php

I had to noodle down the logs to lug them into the truck and was very pleased with the 7900's noodleness.

attachment.php

Here is the obligatory tailgate shot
attachment.php

Here are some thoughts from this purchase. I needed a big saw because I continually run into wood that is too big for me to handle with my Rancher or 346XP. This Dolmar completes my arsenal and now I feel confident I can start and finish any job without leaving good wood behind. Everything you have heard about this saw's power is accurate. This saw is a monster! I had these big rounds bucked in the blink of an eye. Before I knew what happened the entire trunk was bucked down to the root ball. The one thing that I noticed were the exhaust fumes were potent and I developed a headache from the odor. Big cc's make more fumes and especially when noodling when the muffler was up against the log face. The factory warranty is for one year...and if you know about Husqvarna's, they are for 2 years (non pro) Paying as much money as I did for this 7900, I was certainly in the ballpark to go with a 372 xp or 576xp. Those two saws would have given me an extra year of warranty. Just something to think about. Still, as I learned today, there is only ONE Dolmar 7900 and there she is!!! Wow!!! One last thing...please, if you run a big saw like this, wear your PPE. Safe cutting.

Congratulations on the new 7900. Got one myself and love it. I probably use it more than any other saw I own. Your 3 saw plan look very similar to mine. 346xp, 357xp and Dolly 7900. I also have the HD kit as well. Last week I took it a step further and put a full wrap handle on it.

little bit of advice

might as well sell the rancher now. 7900 and 346 is all you should need. dolmar 7900 is an awesome saw:clap:

Nice

I needed to fill a gap left in my saw arsenal by the retirement of my Husky 385xp. I'd heard a lot on this site about the Dolmar 7900 (including the air filter issues, so I went with the HD filter):when my Husky dealer started carrying Dolmars, I bought one. Actually, I'd bought a 5100 Dolmar last summer and was pleased with it's performance. The 7900 is a little heavier than the 385xp but it more than fills the gap. I run it with a 28" bar. I'm sure it would scream with a 24". Enjoy, Woodcutter.

Very nice saw ! :clap:

I was looking at the 7900s back when I bought my 372. I just couldn't find a Dolmar dealer anywhere around here that didn't completely turn me off. I expect I will own one eventually though.

Like it now

Wait until you've got about 10 tanks through it and it starts to break in. They really start to wake up about that point.

Enjoy

Take Care

Probably the best looking saws on the market.
I love my Huskys' but would look at Dolmar if I had a dealer around here.

:cheers:

might as well sell the rancher now. 7900 and 346 is all you should need. dolmar 7900 is an awesome saw:clap:

This did run thru my mind. "Why do I need the 455 Rancher?" Well...to be honest...I love my Rancher. It is the most comfortable saw I have ever had in my hands. The spacing of the handles, the angle of the top handle, the 18 inch bar all make it a great saw for me. Also, the Rancher started my descent into CAD as it was my first real saw...I had only used wally world Poulans before it. After using the 7900 yesterday I realize that the 24 inch bar requires a lot of extra effort to lug around a felled tree and I can see my Rancher filling a need on mid-sized limbs and trunks. My Rancher is like my first Springfield 1911...it may not be the best I have but it was my first and I'll never part with it!

Some more pics of the Dolmar and the noodles it had for dinner.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok...It's been a long time coming but I am now the grinning owner of a new Dolmar 7900. My long-time Husqvarna dealer has brought on the Dolmar line and they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I went with the HD Filter and 24 inch bar, Oregon LGX chain. They ordered me in this saw and it came in PHO. I went with a Husky bar because they would have needed to order in the Dolmar bar...I couldn't stand the suspense any more. They installed the HD Filter for free and sent me on my way saw in hand. As tradition here is my new saw in front of the fireplace.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok...today I planned to give it a test run on a big locust that I let sit all summer. I worked this tree in the spring and I went down the trunk as far as I could with my 455 Rancher...the wood became too big for the Husky. Today I returned with the reinforcement. Daylight was quickly going away so I didn't cut as much wood as I wanted but I was more interested in getting used to this beast and the long bar. I have never run a 24 incher before. Here is a pic of the big wood.
attachment.php

I had to noodle down the logs to lug them into the truck and was very pleased with the 7900's noodleness.

attachment.php

Here is the obligatory tailgate shot
attachment.php

Here are some thoughts from this purchase. I needed a big saw because I continually run into wood that is too big for me to handle with my Rancher or 346XP. This Dolmar completes my arsenal and now I feel confident I can start and finish any job without leaving good wood behind. Everything you have heard about this saw's power is accurate. This saw is a monster! I had these big rounds bucked in the blink of an eye. Before I knew what happened the entire trunk was bucked down to the root ball. The one thing that I noticed were the exhaust fumes were potent and I developed a headache from the odor. Big cc's make more fumes and especially when noodling when the muffler was up against the log face. The factory warranty is for one year...and if you know about Husqvarna's, they are for 2 years (non pro) Paying as much money as I did for this 7900, I was certainly in the ballpark to go with a 372 xp or 576xp. Those two saws would have given me an extra year of warranty. Just something to think about. Still, as I learned today, there is only ONE Dolmar 7900 and there she is!!! Wow!!! One last thing...please, if you run a big saw like this, wear your PPE. Safe cutting.

Congrats. Best noodlers in IMO period.

Great looking saw! :clap:
After installing the HD filter on my saw it's really grown on me. No longer do I look at that 7900 and see something odd or out of place.
It uses more fuel but cuts the larger wood amazingly fast.
I too consider myself fortunate that we have a good Dolmar dealer nearby. :cheers:

Congrats! I ran one some years ago, and it had amazing power.

For the fumes and headache:

Go find some POLARIS VES-GOLD synthetic 2 stroke oil. Trust me.
Just pour it into a smaller 2 cycle oil bottle you have kicking around to measure it. No more headache.

Paying as much money as I did for this 7900, I was certainly in the ballpark to go with a 372 xp or 576xp. Those two saws would have given me an extra year of warranty. Just something to think about. Still, as I learned today, there is only ONE Dolmar 7900 and there she is!!! Wow!!!

Woodcutteranon, nice choice in a saw. However, you still have time and you can own them all sooner or later like me! You can even own them all ported and mufflered-up and add a ported 346XP and a ported 046 to the list.
CAD has a way of sneeking up on ya'.
:dizzy:

I got me a 7900 that should be here next week, I cannt wait to run her.

I have a 346, Sling'r 460 and soon to be 7900.

The 460 is fun to run, but a fricken gas hog. 15 minuits if I am doing good to a tank full.

Very nice saw ! :clap:

I was looking at the 7900s back when I bought my 372. I just couldn't find a Dolmar dealer anywhere around here that didn't completely turn me off. I expect I will own one eventually though.

Belmont NH Hardware store is a Dolmar dealer AND there is a new outdoor power equipment shop on RT 114 in Goffstown NH that sell Dolmar !
MD

Congrats! You got some well earned saw p orn rep - that's a great shot in front of the fireplace!

Don't sweat the Husky bar - it'll wear off in a while. Heck, my 7300 wears a J-red bar cover and hasn't complained about it yet.

PS - the "zoom factor" of running a big new saw was what led me to buy my chaps as well (and lots of good advice here too)

Are these on the chopping block for 2010 like the rest of the non-epa saws or has there been a deal struck to keep them around?

Ian

Back