My new log bucking stands.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started cutting the last of the logs I had piled up. At first I had my wife run the bobcat and bring me a couple logs with the forks and I'd buck them right by the wood shed and split them. I got to thinking I needed to make a big set of saw horses and lay a bunch of logs up there and block them. A long time ago I made a couple sets of heavy duty stands for supporting some equipment and I thought that would make a great set of stands. It worked really well, I can load 5-6 logs at a time and cut one log and then split it and then roll the next one up. Kinda breaks up the work a bit.

CampAtterbury023.jpg

CampAtterbury020.jpg

CampAtterbury024.jpg

miscoutdoor031.jpg

[video=youtube;PQvgOg26uys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQvgOg26uys[/video]

Last edited:
Just like a log deck. I still have a Frick live deck with a 10HP electric motor that the fellow who bought my sawmill never came to get. Perhaps it has a new use....?

Looks good. I'd put some kind of block on the end logs so one doesn't roll off on that little guy.

Looks good. I'd put some kind of block on the end logs so one doesn't roll off on that little guy.

That's not a bad idea, not that I'm worried about it rolling while it is sitting there but when they decided to play on it and one does start to roll it doesn't fall on one and get hurt that way! Thanks for picking up what I seemed to miss! Common sense I know!

You're lucky to have a wife that helps with the firewood. Mine isn't so keen on my "hobby"/disorder. Nice black chickens as well.

He's probably the bobcat operator!! I dont think they'd roll off, especially up hill, but it wouldn't hurt to scotch them,,, you never know with kids around.

My 5 year old daughter like's riding the skid steer and excavator with me. The excavator more than the skid steer cause the the sticks is easier. I got off to do something and next thing I know she's got it fired up and driving it back and forth. Glad she didn't know how to idle it up!lol

Yeah me and the boy (Max) do alot of work together in that Bobcat. I've had him run it, can't reach the foot pedals but he can steer it and start it and run the thumb on the grapple. Someday he'll be the one runnning it....all of it:hmm3grin2orange:

Grapple4-05-08003.jpg

excavator011.jpg

Here is a 15 second clip:

[video=youtube;LlzpSWA7E4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzpSWA7E4M[/video]

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised you don't have a big ole' digital stopwatch up on the shed------foot activated of course. Looks like you're set up for some production there.

Did you build the grapple or buy it Frank? I've thought about one for myself, but there kinda expensive for no more than I'd probably use it. No more wood than I cut I usually just do it off the forks.

I bought it, they are quite expensive. When I first started looking they were around 4K or so, I found this one brand new for 1900.00. It is a well built unit, I couldn't have built a better one, it is very well thought out. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, I'm kinda thinking it is a mom and pop shop somewhere. I use the hell out of it, it quickly paid for itself in a few months and the work you can do with one is amazing!!! The only thing I don't like about it is the weight, it is around 900# and that is a bit heavy for my machine with a good sized log. It takes away from lifting real heavy things safely.

Yeah me and the boy (Max) do alot of work together in that Bobcat. I've had him run it, can't reach the foot pedals but he can steer it and start it and run the thumb on the grapple. Someday he'll be the one runnning it....all of it:hmm3grin2orange:

Grapple4-05-08003.jpg

excavator011.jpg

Here is a 15 second clip:

[video=youtube;LlzpSWA7E4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzpSWA7E4M[/video]

Git'r done son! :)

I bought it, they are quite expensive. When I first started looking they were around 4K or so, I found this one brand new for 1900.00. It is a well built unit, I couldn't have built a better one, it is very well thought out. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, I'm kinda thinking it is a mom and pop shop somewhere. I use the hell out of it, it quickly paid for itself in a few months and the work you can do with one is amazing!!! The only thing I don't like about it is the weight, it is around 900# and that is a bit heavy for my machine with a good sized log. It takes away from lifting real heavy things safely.

I know what you mean. Them 773's are good machine though. Dad bought one new in 96 and Im pretty sure it had 5700 hours on it when he sold it. It never gave a bit of problem. It still worked good too, we just kinda outgrew it. They wont hardly handle a bundle of pipe,,, excellent machine though.

Latest posts

Back