My new MS362so

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcdjohnson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I needed a saw to replace my tired 034, I picked up this little guy. I was wanting an mtronic after reading the great reviews, but a friend at the dealer kind of talked me out of it. I bought this with an 18” b/c. Now, this is not mtronic, but it does appear to have the upgraded air filter, cylinder head and clutch cover, so I shouldn’t have those air filter issues that others have had, correct ??? Did I make a good choice ?

Attachments

• 90EFB332-DDED-4F66-BFB1-28630536E389.jpeg
    90EFB332-DDED-4F66-BFB1-28630536E389.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 59E7B6EA-50F4-44BF-9A8C-608F0862C7BA.jpeg
    59E7B6EA-50F4-44BF-9A8C-608F0862C7BA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 9801B876-754A-4372-9CC3-2338DDCF6A28.jpeg
    9801B876-754A-4372-9CC3-2338DDCF6A28.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
So, I needed a saw to replace my tired 034, I picked up this little guy. I was wanting an mtronic after reading the great reviews, but a friend at the dealer kind of talked me out of it. I bought this with an 18” b/c. Now, this is not mtronic, but it does appear to have the upgraded air filter, cylinder head and clutch cover, so I shouldn’t have those air filter issues that others have had, correct ??? Did I make a good choice ?
Why did he "talk you out of it" ?

So I guess the 261 & 362 are now available with standard carbs, not M Tronic

Why did he "talk you out of it" ?
He said he just took a class on the mtronic, and that they can hook it up to the computer and tell if you did anything “bad” with it which could void the warranty. Whether it was run straigt or ethanol gas, overrevved it, etc. Also, he said after so many hours, it shuts itself down to force you to bring it in, be serviced and reset ?? I didn’t want to deal with that

He said he just took a class on the mtronic, and that they can hook it up to the computer and tell if you did anything “bad” with it which could void the warranty. Whether it was run straigt or ethanol gas, overrevved it, etc. Also, he said after so many hours, it shuts itself down to force you to bring it in, be serviced and reset ?? I didn’t want to deal with that
Hmmm never heard of an M Tronic "shutting itself down" for service...shutting itself down due to a malfunctioning part, yes.

I have the standard carb v. 1 362, zero issues with it over 4 years. Wears a 20",

Because that’s just what you want when you’re in the sticks trying to finish up before dark....A shutdown.
Anyone recall the movie “Sometimes a Great Notion” from the 70’s?
(No pun intended. )

May I ask what you are going to do with the tired 034?
Not sure yet, and by “tired” I don’t mean the engine, it’s a strong runner. However, the pull starter broke, so I replaced it with an aftermarket one, plus the linkage for the choke/shut off switch was messed up, and I made it worse. Have to hold the choke lever down to start it, and then choke it to kill the engine. Once started it’s a screamer. Is it something you’re interested in ?

:laughing:

Not sure yet, and by “tired” I don’t mean the engine, it’s a strong runner. However, the pull starter broke, so I replaced it with an aftermarket one, plus the linkage for the choke/shut off switch was messed up, and I made it worse. Have to hold the choke lever down to start it, and then choke it to kill the engine. Once started it’s a screamer. Is it something you’re interested in ?
yes it is

Good Morning,

I usually do not reply to comments made on the internet.

The standard MS 362-Z is a fine machine and should be a great saw for you.

The information your "friend" gave you about the M-Tronic version was incorrect, except that it can be connected to an MDG-1 Diagnostic Tool.

Personally, I would buy the M-Tronic version. The unit will automatically adjust the carburetor depending on fuel quality, temperature and air filter condition. Always running at the correct speed. The solenoid valves have been improved in the latest saws. STIHL has put a lot of effort into the MS 362-CMZ.

I will step down from my pedestal now, Larry. HOS

Good Morning,

I usually do not reply to comments made on the internet.

The standard MS 362-Z is a fine machine and should be a great saw for you.

The information your "friend" gave you about the M-Tronic version was incorrect, except that it can be connected to an MDG-1 Diagnostic Tool.

Personally, I would buy the M-Tronic version. The unit will automatically adjust the carburetor depending on fuel quality, temperature and air filter condition. Always running at the correct speed. The solenoid valves have been improved in the latest saws. STIHL has put a lot of effort into the MS 362-CMZ.

I will step down from my pedestal now, Larry. HOS
You’re not on a pedestal, lol, I’m glad you shared your knowledge. I will only use this saw occasionally and will always run either high quality non ethanol fuel that I mix, or Moto mix, so I think it should be a good runner for me.
Btw- is that what they call the version 2 model now; 362-Z ??

Hello,

The MS 362-Z is the the version that is non M-Tronic. It has a carburetor that is adjustable with a screwdriver. Z is with spark arrestor (USA).

The MS 362-CMZ is the M-Tronic version with electronically controlled carburetor. C is comfort feature, M is M-Tronic, Z same as above.

Both styles have been through several revisions and now have the same features except for how the carburetor is controlled.

Take care, Larry. HOS

Nice saw!

Given the choice, I would have went with the carb over mtronic....nothing wrong with either though. My next saw is a ms241 so I won't have a choice and it will be mtronic.

Back