My new to me Homelite 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dumb4words

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about today's purchase. I've wanted a 5 or 6 cube saw for a while. Really just wanted something for the occasional "big un". Not starting a firewood business or mill (yet). I spent a little less than the seller was asking, but a little more than I wanted to spend. I believe what I got was a low hour, one owner 550 that was his most prized tool. I got the impression he was glad to see it going to someone that appreciates it for what it is. The way this thing is built, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted another 30+ years.

The 550 came with a 24" Oregon roller tip, 2 chains, a box of spark plugs, a new 7 pin rim, and the tool to change it as well as the original albeit oil soaked owners manual and IPL. He also still had the original receipt and some literature.

After talking chainsaws for a while he asked if I was a Mac fan? Said he had one he'd "throw in". I expected a mini mac. Maybe an eager beaver. Out comes the "sweetener". A clean 1-42.

Edit: added pics. Apparently he bought a 450. Used it for several days and traded up to a 550. 4-26-1980 from Abco Western bar inc. Portland Oregon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 50
Really nice! Apparently you where not 2 dumb to make this purchase. I love the way the big old iron sounds. And the brute power of those saws won't be produced again, no need because the big trees they were made to cut are now gone. Sad......

It does make a wicked great sound. Can't wait to stick it in some wood. Intake boot seems ok. Seller said it was replaced several years back. Any other common issues with these saws I should look for? Anxious to run it, but I'd like to treat it properly.

Is it a job to put new fuel and impulse lines on one of these, or fairly straight forward? Ran out of daylight today.

????

Ever heard of a 3120 or 880? Ever seen a 6' DBH oak? That 550 is only 84cc's.
Yes I have, and I know there are a number of others I'm not familiar with. I'm sure I could learn a great deal about them from you. I was simply being nostalgic in my comment. My father was a choker setter in the 1960s when we lived in RioDel, Ca. in the heart of Redwood country. Right across the river is Scotia where the biggest redwood mill in the world existed. It was built to process those giants. Trucks carrying 2 logs for a full load were common sometimes only one or half of one. I was lucky enough to witness that. I was only a kid then and a number of times I got to go out to where Dad was working and saw and heard the saws being used and of course to a kid they looked huge. The OPs saws reminded me of those times gone by.

Looks like you got two nice saws, I'm not familiar with the Mac, but the 550 is a great saw! Its very impressive to be 30+ years old. It has no problem keeping up with modern saws of similar size. Congratulations and enjoy your new "old iron"

Thanks Twindad, I'm looking forward to the weekend. I have some test logs lined up to run the 550. I still haven't stuck it in any big wood.

The 1-42 is a pretty good looker. A glance at the exhaust made it clear; it ain't no muffler.

Nice saws. I just recently finished up my 1-42. It is one of my slowest, loudest saws but one of my favorites.

Thanks Twindad, I'm looking forward to the weekend. I have some test logs lined up to run the 550. I still haven't stuck it in any big wood.

The 1-42 is a pretty good looker. A glance at the exhaust made it clear; it ain't no muffler.

Some Mac documentation back in the day advised you to keep the "muffler" because it prevented exhaust negative-pressure-pulses from sucking crap back into the chamber. No mention of silencing, of course- window-rattler.

Looks like the 550 will need some "freshening up" before any cutting. I had a chance to run her some today. She fired right up, but seemed to be "loading up". Pulled the air filter and sure enough, the carb was in a puddle of mix. Couldn't see quite where it was leaking from, and again battling daylight. I'm thinking its certainly due for fuel lines, impulse line etc. are impulse lines available for these or what's the best practice? (Other than just sending it to Randy).

Latest posts

Back