my questions about OWB install and parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owb-

very good guy to deal with i get my pipe and coils from him.

I've been reading comment on the OWB. and from the price everyone is paying for the ThemoPex It seams that the $13.00 a foot my dealer is charging it way to much.

Anyone have any thoughts

vapor barrier

Don't get cheap on this part of your system. If you can, use Kitec or a similiar product with vapor barrier because it will not shrink and grow with heat and cooling (as much). With your underground, buy the very best you can and dig your trench on grade if you can so that any water in your trench will drain out. You do not want water surrounding your lines. Once again, you usually get what you pay for. Every time I have helped someone unhappy with a wood boiler it was because they did the underground poorly or cheaply.

Thanks for the information, you mention Kitec as a good product, should I just stick with ThermoPec? Is $13/$14 a foot the going price for this product?

$13 / ft. is about the going rate. As far as baseboard, use 3/4"...600 BTU/ft. @ 180 deg. supply temp is a good rule of thumb. 5/8" Pex will feed 15K BTU of baseboard or so. I paid $425 for a 500' roll of 1" Wirsbo ox. barrier pipe back in Jan.

From the responses I have been getting, it appears everyone is on the same page. That is for me to go ahead and pay $13/$14 a foot for the ThermoPex tubing for my Outdoor Pellet Boiler.
I did get a price from KJMotorSports( A name I got from someone on this site) for Triple Wrap Tubing- 175' for $700. My only questine about this now is, does this tubing have any type of rating with it, so you can compare "apples to Apples", similar to standard insulation?
Also, it comes in 1' and 1 1/4", I take it the bigger the better....as in all things...

From the responses I have been getting, it appears everyone is on the same page. That is for me to go ahead and pay $13/$14 a foot for the ThermoPex tubing for my Outdoor Pellet Boiler.
I did get a price from KJMotorSports( A name I got from someone on this site) for Triple Wrap Tubing- 175' for $700. My only questine about this now is, does this tubing have any type of rating with it, so you can compare "apples to Apples", similar to standard insulation?
Also, it comes in 1' and 1 1/4", I take it the bigger the better....as in all things...

$13 a foot sounds like a lot and it is. I paid $11.50 a foot three years ago for the logistor pipe. The pipe you want looks like two 1inch pex lines in a four inch drain tile that is filled with "great stuff" foam. There should be no air gaps at all. You could run this through water and not loose any heat. The first year I had my OWB I just put it on top of the ground. The snow took a day to melt off.

I had a friend that used the "cheap stuff" and had to dig it back up, not fun.

Back