My reflections of A.S.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been a good long while since I first posted here looking for help with an 011av... I was inundated with helpful suggestions and an overwhelming sense of welcome.... upon reflection, i've noticed a change.... a negative change. It used to be that members would fight to help a new poster looking for information, no matter how trivial. Now, it seems the opposite occurs. Instead of help, most replies are negative and belittling. "operator error", "use search engine", "negligence" are used instead of warm welcomes and helpful information.
I recently read a fairly recent post on another site, where someone posted a screenshot their experience here. It was a newbie poster going into heavy detail of a problem. The first reply is "Bored, too long to read". It actually took 6 replies before anyone welcomed them or offered ANY help. At first i wanted to tear into them, and defend AS, but then i thought about it. Recently I've seen a a couple of newbies scared away by rudeness, and a general conceited attitude. Why? When did we, as a community, become so elite? It seems we are too busy posting music videos on a PISTON thread in a CHAINSAW forum to read 10 sentences!?!?
Other forums used to respect and look up to us. Now we're referred to as "A**holeSite" for good reason... it seems.

Just some of my concerns. I love this site, as it was my first forum. The banter, the laughs and the overall atmosphere here is great. I'm hoping we can right a few wrongs. I definitely believe its 'a few bad apples', but we seem to follow their lead, instead of overuling their rudeness.

MaddBomber, forums are a good way to learn how to use code and how to type faster. I'm on everything from gun, hunting, bowhunting, motocross, heavy equipment, cooking, stack overflow, etc., forums and it is about the same everywhere. The elitists are pretty evident. When one substitutes a virtual method of communication and relationships for a real one with face to face interpersonal contact, he can lose sight of his place in the pecking order of society. If you maintain a balanced standpoint and perceive trolls for what they are it won't continue to bother you. I find it entertaining at least when I see grown men using expressions that were made for and intended to be used by teenage girls. A newby has to learn to rise to the occasion or could opt instead to get on a forum that coddles and supports a victim mentality. There are plenty of good guys on every forum that has merit. If a guy can't stand up for what is right and put a little pressure on idiots that like to throw their virtual weight and digital reputation around, what does he stand for in the first place?

A mere shell of the site it was in 2009.
True... The young guns that rule here, always respond "do a search"......But the thing is, "Search what?". All of the great info, attachments, photos, vids, are long gone, as well as the great folks that put them up here, and made this place great for a while...

Seems a lot of fellas have disappeared recently, mostly the "glue" that held the place together.

Those guys who left helped weed out some of the guys who think this is a place to argue about the following:
  • Husky vs Stihl
  • Stihl vs Husky
  • Stihl vs Stihl
  • Chevy or Ford
  • How much is my saw worth?
  • What oil should I use?
  • What ratio should I use?
  • Husky oil vs Stihl oil
  • Stihl oil vs Husky Oil
  • Stihl Oil vs Stihl Ultra Oil
And so on and so forth.

The thing is that back in the day all that crap was still around but got ignored and was second paged in no time as a result of the good guys keeping useful discussions going on. Now the negative seems more prevalent because the good guys aren't knocking it down anymore, but it was always here.

In a lot of ways I believe that Facebook has propagated a lot of garbage and spill over. More people get interested in the hobby as a result, but it seems there are no ethics or concern of community. It's just the "hot topic" of the moment and then it disappears into oblivion. More guys are interested in "likes" or "comments" or "getting one up on another" than they are in freely sharing information and helping guys become better mechanics, more knowledgeable about saws and teach better techniques.

Still guys 'round here willing to do that, just in less quantity.

As far as I'm concerned, ain't about being right or wrong, but about the never ending quest for knowledge.

Just like anything good and fulfilling in life:

Gotta share it to get it!

Been a good long while since I first posted here looking for help with an 011av... I was inundated with helpful suggestions and an overwhelming sense of welcome.... upon reflection, i've noticed a change.... a negative change. It used to be that members would fight to help a new poster looking for information, no matter how trivial. Now, it seems the opposite occurs. Instead of help, most replies are negative and belittling. "operator error", "use search engine", "negligence" are used instead of warm welcomes and helpful information.
I recently read a fairly recent post on another site, where someone posted a screenshot their experience here. It was a newbie poster going into heavy detail of a problem. The first reply is "Bored, too long to read". It actually took 6 replies before anyone welcomed them or offered ANY help. At first i wanted to tear into them, and defend AS, but then i thought about it. Recently I've seen a a couple of newbies scared away by rudeness, and a general conceited attitude. Why? When did we, as a community, become so elite? It seems we are too busy posting music videos on a PISTON thread in a CHAINSAW forum to read 10 sentences!?!?
Other forums used to respect and look up to us. Now we're referred to as "A**holeSite" for good reason... it seems.
I agree with your observation that this place has become a little more unwelcoming. However, there is no other site that I have found that has the wealth of information this site does. I don't frequent many of the other sites because, while they are nice and polite, they do not offer good advice. Other sites I don't frequent because I don't fit into their good old boy club.... and others because it's just not serious enough.

I try to never get short with new people, but my patience can get really tried when I give a solid answer and they don't want to hear it. I honestly could care less if someone takes a screen shot and complains about AS.. There still is no place I have found that has the depth of knowledge as this place. If there is, I would love folks to send me a PM and show it to me.

I've only been on this site for just over a year. I really appreciate all of the info here, and helpful advice (there is still a wealth of it). I hope the helpful people with knowledge and good advice will continue to outnumber the few who just want to be rude & abusive.

But debates, and challenging ideas, and some light hearted ribbing is not bad.

And just sharing experiences can be fun also.

This site is a great resource, and hopefully it will stay that way.

We all got flamed at least once when we were new. The new guy hasta peel the potatoes. That's just pecking order. It builds character. Yeah, it happens more often now. But with more frequency comes less volume. Lotsa little jabs doesn't hurt as much as some of the lambastings I got when I was an ignorant new guy, some 4 to 5 years ago. I paid. Now I can play a little bit. Ya know?

Anyone who's worked in any kind of shop environment knows this to be true. Simply nature.

I would consider myself a "newbie" still and didn't know the site back in 2009 at it's best. But so far since I've been on here since August, 99% of the things I've been involved with have been
positive and I can't explain how much I've learned, mostly from guy who have been here a long time.
I have seen some of the negative that you're talking about and for the most part if if I can't help or say something positive I just try and ignore it. I mostly hang out in the Poulan thread because that's
what really interests me and the guys over there are great.
I think this day and age there are so many "Internet tough guys" that can hide behind a computer, but I think if people just ignore them and try and be positive and help the next guy out if they can
then the forums will be that much better. Just a newbs .02 cents.

For an excellent head study on the beta male hyena effect in action when a new pup wanders into the pack, check out the lambasting this poor dude is receiving from the seasoned pros. You'll see what the causative factor is bearing on the attrition rate around here. An alpha stepped in on behalf of the pup and got some handed to him by the b-types also.

Took until the 9th post for the guy to get some useful advice grounded in experience.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/value-of-these-saws.271696/

Latest posts

Back