My Stihl 08s Collection...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobooie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So it all started when I needed a chainsaw quickly to take down a couple red pines on my property last November after a bad ice storm. Went to craigslist, found the first reasonable priced Stihl saw, $80, and bought it. From there, well, now I have three.

The first saw was my first 08s. It's older than the other two and has no chainbrake.

The middle saw was given to me with a box of 08s parts for $40 from the local Stihl dealer. It has two roller tip bars, two mufflers, and two rewind assemblies. It was lying around the back of the shop in pieces in a box for who knows how many years. It was a trade in from back in the day to an elderly man who could no longer use the saw due to the heaviness.

The third saw I picked up again of craigslist. It was owned by an old lady who could no longer use it for the past couple of years due to her weak wrist. It wouldn't turnover at her house, but it had a spark and the compression felt pretty good so I took it. When I got home and opened the fuel tank, a golden yellow syrup came oozing out and it smelt like varnish bad. It completely dissolved the fuel assembly and what was left was very gummy and sticky. I replaced the fuel assembly, fuel filter, fuel lines, and rebuilt the carb. It fired right up on about the 5th or 6th pull. Man was I impressed.

The wife is starting to catch on that collecting old saws is quickly becoming a hobby of mine. Can't complain too much, she just walked in the door with both arms full of shopping bags from the mall, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. Happy wife = happy Life.

Two have .404 chain on them, they all spit out chain bar oil like bad diarrhea (must have been really cheap back then, I've now switch to the 'heavy' grade for all seasons), but boy do I like them.

Enjoy,
Mike

Nice 08 collection. The 08 was the first saw I ever cut with when I was young. My dad still uses that same 08 today along with a few others.

When I was about 11 I took apart a parts 08 he had. I believe its still in a box somewhere at my dads. I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend when I run up there and finally put it all back together ;).

Very nice, was only using and admiring my 08s 2 days ago, truly a great saw, i picked mine up a year ago for $80aud, 3/8 chain, just needed a choke switch - which i bought 2 days ago from cheapstihlparts.

:yourock:

heres mine
100_3849s.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your collection of 08'S. I have rebuilt at least a dozen of them and really like them. Simple design, easy to work on, and they run for ever. Ok, they are pretty slow but they cut wood just fine with that .404 setup. They sure put out lots of oil....

This saw really helped establish the solid reputation of Stihl over the past decades.

They can be had very cheap over here because there are so many out there. If you are a bit handy and don't care for speed, this saw is the cheapest ticket for your personal firewood setup.

Here's a few of mine...

08sfamilybsmall.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 Stihl 08s, unfortunately one of them needs a recoil assembly. Anyone know where you can get them. these are a classic stihl chainsaw, It can outrace my homelite xl-12 and my mac 10-10a.

Hi jobooie, If you are going to collect the 08's then you also need the attachments for them..

The 08 (1108) had almost as long of a run as the lightning contra 090 saws (1106) 59 to 85. Not sure when the last year was for the 1108.. My last ads are from 83 for it.

This price list calls it an 06 but I think that is a typo error.. Acres says the 08 was released in 63 but I think this is list may date prior to that.

d24.jpg

1964 oz ad.
contraad.jpg

68stihl.jpg

a few from 83.
08page83.jpg

fs41083.jpg

a drill
08drill003.jpg

Latest posts

Back