My stupid attack this week.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all Mike explained the purpose and how the cut is tripped quite well, thanks mike could'nt have said it better myself. TSI stands for Timber Stand Improvement. I have spent the last 14 years on a Thinning crew and BD crew AKA Brush Disposal. We use this cut to get trees down when precommercial thinning in very dense pockets of young reproduction. I know J Beranek refers to the cut as a salami cut but the principle is the same. I realize the hazards in dealing with hang ups and we should not get them hung up in the first place but it happens and with our job this is the only way we can do it. I usually treat these as verticle bucking by cutting the offside first and then bringing the saw around the top and cutting down through the tree at a steep angle 45 + degrees ( remember you want the cuts to slide past one another) I usually ream the cut as I proceed down so the kerf stays open and I can cut all the way through in 1 cut. Reaming invoves pushing and pulling your bar back and forth in the cut, this motion widens the cut enough to allow you the keep sawing. I use this method when bucking down logs also. Good luck let us know how it works for you guys.

Hey Kevin thats the cut but usually the tree is in a more vertical position. Good illustration. How do you do those?

I call what Kevin diagrammed... a verticle snap cut.. 'cause I'll start high and pull out just before it pinches and then finish with a verticle undercut an inch or two to the ground side of the top cut. That way the lip will not hang up the falling piece.
Lot to keep in mind there. And thanks for the reaming tip... that may be a good ticket... and I like using the undercut to finish when a quick escape is called for.
God Bless All,
Daniel

FSburt,
You can draw those using "Paint" or another photo program.
Save the picture as a Jpeg in one of your local computer files then download it to your post near the bottom where it says "Browse".

MSPaint will want to save in .bmp which is very long, most pix in .bmp will be to big to load here.

You can save in .jpg which is smaller but sometimes right on the line or over for size limit here. Next smaller option to get file to fit here is .gif which is plenty small enough file. You can save MSPaint drawings/pix as the smaller files (.jpg or .gif) by going to File -> SaveAs and choosing .jpg or .gif.............If you loaded MSOffice that adjusts registry settings to allow this, sometimes only aafter opening the included MsPhoto editor once to initiate settingss, otherwise for this powerful trick you might try this: http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix

Depending on size of tree in that pic. i might try a hefty facecut on top one corner towards 11:00 on towards 2:00 to 3:00; make backcut up that leaves a triangle hinge that is wide on up side, should be cutting from 3:00 side. the hinge lessens direct pull by not feeding load straight into gravity's pull, the wide at end triangle provides a lot of support, walk it to a point of failure and back away as it folds with you outta there!

Latest posts

Back