My Vertical Log Splitter with Table and Log Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is essentially how my grapple clamp is. Should work right? The mounts are 2" off the surface of the beam. This was going off of 12.5" high pivot and a cylinder with 38" extended length and 24" retracted length. Everything else I made assumptions on.

VERTICAL%2520TABLE%2520LIFT%2520CYLINDER.png

This is essentially how my grapple clamp is. Should work right? The mounts are 2" off the surface of the beam. This was going off of 12.5" high pivot and a cylinder with 38" extended length and 24" retracted length. Everything else I made assumptions on.

and even if the cylinder was reversed like i had it, it would work the same, just the rod end pivot to the beam pivot would have to be the same distance as you have the cylinder end pivot from the beam pivot...

This is almost exactly how I have it drawn up now. Thanks for the drawings!

and even if the cylinder was reversed like i had it, it would work the same, just the rod end pivot to the beam pivot would have to be the same distance as you have the cylinder end pivot from the beam pivot...
With only 14" of stroke it doesn't work well. Not very good set-up IMO.

I tried it like that at first, but the stroke wasn't working out, and there looked to be an issue of the 3 points nearly being all in line with each other when collapsed.

I tried it like that at first, but the stroke wasn't working out, and there looked to be an issue of the 3 points nearly being all in line with each other when collapsed.
Yes. I tried for over an hour moving the points all over. Nothing worked right to use the entire cylinder stroke.

Yes. I tried for over an hour moving the points all over. Nothing worked right to use the entire cylinder stroke.
just becase you can figure it out, doesnt mean it doesnt work... the way i had it the rod mount on the beam should be around 10" from beam pivot, and the cylinder base mount would be around 32" laterally from the center line of the beam pivot, that would leave you with about an inch of overstroke and 1/2" of stroke left when in the down position.
its hard to figure out exact measurements because i dont have all of the measurements...

either way will work fine, and a 14 inch stroke cylinder is more than enough for what youre doing. just for comparisons, the log lift on the splitter i built is capable of nearly 180 deg. of movement with just an 18" stroke cylinder, and will lift over 1000 lbs. (only a 2-1/2" cylinder), and the distance between the lift pivot ans the cylinder pivot is less than 8"...

Attachments

• 100_1809.JPG
    100_1809.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 79
just becase you can figure it out, doesnt mean it doesnt work... the way i had it the rod mount on the beam should be around 10" from beam pivot, and the cylinder base mount would be around 32" laterally from the center line of the beam pivot, that would leave you with about an inch of overstroke and 1/2" of stroke left when in the down position.
its hard to figure out exact measurements because i dont have all of the measurements...

either way will work fine, and a 14 inch stroke cylinder is more than enough for what youre doing. just for comparisons, the log lift on the splitter i built is capable of nearly 180 deg. of movement with just an 18" stroke cylinder, and will lift over 1000 lbs. (only a 2-1/2" cylinder), and the distance between the lift pivot ans the cylinder pivot is less than 8"...
I don't want to be an A**. But I used Cad and had it drawn many times. Yes you can do it that way. However, you will not be able to use the cylinder fully. It just doesn't work out. Your illustration of the dump bed isn't exactly what we are doing here either. I don't know, but I've never seen a dump bed go from laying flat to 90 degrees. Think the most they go is 45 degrees to dump? Not sure. Never owned one before.

Have pics of the underside? mounts etc?

I don't want to be an A**. But I used Cad and had it drawn many times. Yes you can do it that way. However, you will not be able to use the cylinder fully. It just doesn't work out. Your illustration of the dump bed isn't exactly what we are doing here either. I don't know, but I've never seen a dump bed go from laying flat to 90 degrees. Think the most they go is 45 degrees to dump? Not sure. Never owned one before.
they dont need to go 90 deg. they only need to go enough to dump the **** out of the bed...longer cylinders would make it go 90...
if you take your drawing and turn it upside down its esentally the same instead you would be pushing the trailer frame up and not the beam.
BTW CAD is just a tool or "aid" as in the name... it wont engineer it for you!

they dont need to go 90 deg. they only need to go enough to dump the **** out of the bed...longer cylinders would make it go 90...
if you take your drawing and turn it upside down its esentally the same instead you would be pushing the trailer frame up and not the beam.
BTW CAD is just a tool or "aid" as in the name... it wont engineer it for you!
i meant if you take the way i drew it, it would be esentally the same as yous but upside down

I ended up getting 1 1/2" thick x 12" wide and 18" long for the foot. I think its even way over kill. 2" thick would have just been stupid!
Got 2 rails welded in tonight after work. Ready to mount the base that will hold the beam. Will have a lot of it done over the weekend. Most parts are all machined and ready for welding!

Attachments

• IMAG1081.jpg
    IMAG1081.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG1085.jpg
    IMAG1085.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 69
Looking Good!

What was the frame from?

JT
I had a 4x8 trailer that I used to haul wood in up to the house with. The floor and sides all rotted and I found the tiny 12" wheels to be not heavy enough for a cord of wood! So I found a heavier trailer for that duty and now using this frame for my splitter. Worked out great.

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread, just saw the pic of the cylinder, and to me it looks like an air cylinder rated for a couple hundred pounds of pressure, and not a hydraulic cylinder rated for a couple thousand pounds. Not trying to be a jerk, just don't want to see someone get hurt. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Back