New Commercial level log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHT

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Well our new Vinsetta commercial / Rental splitter is about done and going into production for the spring. Some of you may have seen it in our booth at the GIE show a few months back.

Specs:
Honda Electric start GX390
28 GPM pump
1" ports and prince valves
5"x24" cylinder
Hyd 4 way wedge
Hyd log lift
Out feed table that can angle up so you can feed onto a conveyor or trailer
5 lug high speed trailer wheels/tires
Torflex suspension
20 gallon hyd tank

We'll get some video of it in action soon! Hope to keep the price around $5k.

Attachments

• Vinsetta 35-Ton Log Splitter sm.jpg
    Vinsetta 35-Ton Log Splitter sm.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 211
How are you making a little 13hp handle a 28gpm pump?

The math on that is showing needing almost 4x that, about 50hp. Granted the books don't line up with real world exactly, I run a 30gpm off a 35hp diesel, but still.

13hp, would be down to only 8gpm.

Hmm, dunno if that's what any of us commercial guys want.
At least I know I dont. I need speed... 4-5 sec cycle time... at 3000+ psi.
Just a tip. (And only the tip... haha)

Hmm, dunno if that's what any of us commercial guys want.
At least I know I dont. I need speed... 4-5 sec cycle time... at 3000+ psi.
Just a tip. (And only the tip... haha)

A single stage 28 pump is the same speed as a dual stage pump that is 28 gpm, except when the pressure exceeds ~900 psi and the high volume, low pressure gear drops out. So.......your single stage will only be faster then.....and if that is worth having to get a really big engine to power a really expensive pump......then you are a pro's pro....

Then again your splitter must be really fast if you are answering this thread in the middle of the day....all of your wood is split already!! :)

2 stage pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I tried that crap with a 12hp once and it would stall out. Finally had to go to a 20hp and should have went much bigger. Mine cycles pretty well now, but it would still be nice if it was faster, course I have an 8" cylinder off of an old cat that might be a little on the overkill side of things.

Yeah, I tried that crap with a 12hp once and it would stall out. Finally had to go to a 20hp and should have went much bigger. Mine cycles pretty well now, but it would still be nice if it was faster, course I have an 8" cylinder off of an old cat that might be a little on the overkill side of things.

Engine only needs to be sized to the displacement of the low volume, high pressure gear on the pump.

Then again your splitter must be really fast if you are answering this thread in the middle of the day....all of your wood is split already!! :)

Remember he's in Alaska. What's that time difference, 3-4 hrs from central time? Maybe it was lunch time.
Odd to me anyway that you would let a member climb under your skin and spout off back to them. Really would turn me off if I was looking at one of your machines! Just saying.

Remember he's in Alaska. What's that time difference, 3-4 hrs from central time? Maybe it was lunch time.
Odd to me anyway that you would let a member climb under your skin and spout off back to them. Really would turn me off if I was looking at one of your machines! Just saying.

You missed the smiley face. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking list of specs. I wish my TW-6 had suspension.
You didn't really say you were asking for input, but I assume that was the point of posting.
1. 20 gal. hydraulic tank/28 gal pump? I've read posts on AS about the DHT 35 ton rated units getting hot, but no direct problems posted related to heat.
2. I'm thinking the log lift needs some type of metal skin on it to keep pieces from catching or dropping through.
3. The smooth out feed table is nice, but you may need to down turn or roll the edges if they are sharp.
4. You have the same four-way wedge everyone else does (except for Iron &Oak's). Why don't you make a shelf wedge that will hold the two top splits, instead of pushing everything on the out feed table. If you have a log lift and a 5" x 24" cylinder it is set up for big stuff. And everyone pushes it to the outfeed table or it flops off the sides and back on the ground. Either place, you have to chase after it to resplit. It is complete nonsense. You are designing in more work than needs to be. Your not even designing, your just copying the piss poor designs already out there. You all have your heads in the same cardboard box.
5. Everyone talks speed. Then add a stroke limiter, or choose a cylinder with an 18" stroke option for 16" wood if more speed is really needed. More than likely it is not, with a 28 gpm pump. Cutting 6" of stroke reduces the stroke cycle by 12" each time. It adds up.IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1519.jpgSplitting with the four-way in the low position. Raising the four-way after the split releases the two trapped lower pieces for resplitting if necessary. The top pieces are slid forward to the log lift, and beam for resplitting. No lifting required.IMG_1521.jpg

This is one of the best mod ideas I have seen. I have a tw5 with a 36inch cyl the space is even more that the tw6 - those big splits - ( we get a lot of those logs) are always falling - or we are fighting with them as they fall forward onto the table - this is a great idea ! Going to make that mod this week

A single stage 28 pump is the same speed as a dual stage pump that is 28 gpm, except when the pressure exceeds ~900 psi and the high volume, low pressure gear drops out. So.......your single stage will only be faster then.....and if that is worth having to get a really big engine to power a really expensive pump......then you are a pro's pro....

We deliver about 500 cords a year of processed wood. I know there are outfits that do that in a week or two, but it's just me and a part time helper.

If you must know, I'm laying on the couch with my coat on, 2 layers of blankets and the stove going full bore, and I'm still cold. Puke pail nearby and the room keeps moving like I'm on a boat. My head has it's own pulse.

How about take the thoughts of your "commercial" splitter and think about making it actually a commercial unit?
28gpm is good, 9gpm at 900psi or whatever the low speed isn't.
If the low speed kicked in around 2000psi it would be too horrible, would be able to split most wood on the normal speed.

I'd like to think that my post wasn't to climb under anyone's skin but just feedback from a potential user. I wouldn't pay 5k for a splitter that's basically slightly better than a std box store $1500 unit. For 5k I'd expect at least an electric start engine, diesel would be better. Only thing I run that takes gas is chainsaws, everything else is diesel.

Guys,

We appreciate the feedback from the forum, and that is part of the reason why we sponsor it. There are a lot of great ideas here, and real world users, who are the best sounding boards. We produce over 50k splitters a year, and many of the members here have some of those units, but those are more consumer products. OUR VERSION of 'commercial' is our dealer network, rental yards, and arborist / tree care company owners. Clearly this is not a unit that would churn out thousands upon thousands of cords a year as a full time business. There are much more expensive products that will be better suited for full time wood producers. We are not aspiring to produce that product.....yet. What we ARE doing is building this unit to compete with: Timberwolf, MightyOx, Barreto, etc. With that in mind we think our specs, performance and price point will be really attractive. We created the Vinsetta brand to enter more non-big box channels apart from the very successful, and growing, DHT brand. The economies of scale generated by the DHT brand will ensure that the Vinsetta brand is very competitive, in a way others will not be able to match.

Again we appreciate the feedback and we know there are 'bigger badder' units out there.....its not what we are going for. If we can sell a couple hundred to one thousand of these a year it would be great. To keep the price reasonable for dealers and rental companies you can not offer every design option a la cart.

Just to clarify... it is an electric start engine and other engines will be available (though rental yards almost require Honda GX engines), Total hyd capacity is 25 gallons, stroke reducers are available, hyd coolers available.

Also, @sandhill, love the "4-way table" idea....we already have something like that in CAD. Just have not made one yet.

Question for DHT. On your present splitters, is the high pressure section of the pump actually 25% of the low pressure section? I looked at a splitter at Fleet Farm where the low pressure section was 12.3 GPM at 3600 RPM but the high pressure section was only 1.7 GPM which is no where near 25% and would be SLOW.

Latest posts

Back