Finally the new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I waited 3.5 years for this. Alex from A.E.Metalwerx came through in a big way. After seeing his build going back almost 6 years ago, I knew this is the one I wanted:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...es-a-few-splitters-ive-built-recently.287746/

Here are a few of the features:
Honda GX390 with 22GPM pump
Log lift
Hydro adjustable 4 way
Folding tongue
Folding log table
Axel and suspension capable of highway travel
Lots O storage
Capable of 30" rounds but with an adjustable stop to limit stroke on shorter ones
Wedge and top plate made of AR400
Hour meter and tach
Temp and hydro level indicator
Cylinder is 30" stroke, 5" x 3.5" for fast return time
Auto cycle with dump valve
Restriction on 4 way adjuster and log lift to slow flow

So far have had it a little over a week and have 11.2 hours on it.

DSCF0014.JPGDSCF0009.JPGDSCF0010.JPGDSCF0012.JPGDSCF0013.JPGDSCF0015.JPGDSCF0017.JPGDSCF0018.JPG

Beautiful! But, all that engineering and recoil start?
Batteries are just another thing to take care of.

The splitter is kept in a heated garage, the coldest it will ever be is 45 degrees and the Hondas I have had, including this one start on one pull, so why have electric start?

Batteries are just another thing to take care of.

The splitter is kept in a heated garage, the coldest it will ever be is 45 degrees and the Hondas I have had, including this one start on one pull, so why have electric start?
i wouldn't mind an elec start on a machine like that. my tiller has one. so do my mowers and tractors. small mowers hand recoil. i'd prefer elec start since will be well cared for... but imo... recoil just fine!

:popcorn2:

Man that thing is nice! What is the cycle time on it?
Can't tell you exactly because it changes.

It has a 30" stroke, but with the custom stop that limits the return to whatever you want it varies. Right now it only returns to 21"

The inner rod is 3.5" and with the dump valve it hits aprox 50GPM on the return stroke so it is quick. The in tank filter is from a John Deere hydraulic system on those huge spreaders for farm fields. Rated at 125GPM.

Here is the return stop plate:
DSCF0020.JPG

Well it is certainly capable of it, handles interstate speeds just fine.

I image syrup collecting season is over, done cooking yet?

Still getting a little sap every day. Gonna fire up the cooker for an hour this afternoon, otherwise the sap will go bad. I'm hoping we get some more freezing temps sooner rather than later. It's very early in the year to be done, but if this warm rainy weather keeps up, it'll put an end to things.

Back