Mycorrhizal Fungi for Palms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a friend/client that has a palm that doesnt appear very stble with its root base and looks like it is becoming unhealthy. I have learned that Mycorrhizal Fungi can be a great growth stimulant and can colonize a palms living root system, in effect extending the root system further into the soil by up to 1000%. I was wondering if anyone here has delt with this fungal treatment and what were the results.

I think the benefits of mycorrhizal injections have been greatly overstated. I recall some recent studies showing little to no benefit in injected trees. I'll try to find the papers. It may have been in the Journal of Arboriculture or maybe TCI.

In any case, this will not help a stability problem if there is structural damage to the trunk.

Too little is understood about these relationships. Many studies show that even urban sites already have colonies of Myco's.

One problem with the products out there is that it is a shotgun approach. You infect trees with this product, but will the best one take hole? IS the soil able to sustain it? How vialble is the product, Might be the article Brett refers too, but I've read that the soem have found that a lot of the packaged dry stuff just does not grow.

In hardwoods, it is probably better to go get some soil from a forest stand and burry around the trees, or get some truffle inoculum so you can help the tree and reap a reward in a few years.

Get soil then?

So his best bet would be to dig and put enriched soil in the root base of the palm as opposed to spending money on Myc injection?
I just knew about myc injection and told him it could be an avenue he might want to explore.

If the palms are mychorizal obligate then ones growing in the wild should have a beneficial infection.

Notice in my post I said "with hardwoods..." I know very little about palms.

Palm Type

It appears to be a Washingtonian. I am not the most familiar with palm types but I would say 95% sure its a Washingtonian.

not sure what type of palm it is???????

my god spike,
you've lived in florida for your entire life and you are not sure if you are dealing w/ a washingtonia or not........
i think that you should be less concerned w/ myc injuctions and get back to basics........learn your trees first.
baby steps forest, baby steps!
budroe:cool:

Posistive

Yeah I am 100% positive now that its a Washingtonia(Had my boss look at it and he said I was right....he knows his palms.) Trust me I didnt have plans for doing this type of work, I just new about the treatment and wanted get your guy's opinion. I am going to leave all of that to the fungal scientist or botanist or whoever taked care of that stuff.

Re: Posistive

Originally posted by SpikedSupra
Trust me I didnt have plans for doing this type of work, I just new about the treatment and wanted get your guy's opinion. I am going to leave all of that to the fungal scientist or botanist or whoever taked care of that stuff.

You mean the TREE GUYS?

Brian

No I was meaning more specific than that. Tree Guys is too generalized. As you well know there are many aspects to tree work. Some do physical pruning and removals....this is the area that I am entering. Some go to school for botany and tree biology and they deal with a trees chemistry work such as scientific ways to grow root base and other internal facets of tree work. Now some do both and they make the best money because the more knowledge you have the more types of work you can do. I am going to stick with the physical pruning and removing and leave the chemical enhancements and chemical injections to the other guys. However, its good to see that you have taken me off of ignore or have decided to view one of my posts :)
Catch ya later...
Forrest

You've got to learn the biology of trees or you're just another hacker with a chainsaw. Stay in school, learn biology, anatomy, entymology, and all the other tree-ologies. You'll be that much better than the competition if you can understand WHY you're making a cut rather than just cutting for the sake of cutting.

can't see the trees thru the forrest........

learn your trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or be a hack,
it's up to you.
budroe:cool:
p.s. customer- "what kind of palm do i have????"
forrest- "i don't know but it needs to be trimmed!!!"
customer-"what's wrong w/ my palm?????"
forrest- "i don't know but i'll rooster tail it for 20 bucks!!!"
customer- "why should i let you take care of my palm?????"
forrest- "because i'm the best, just ask me, i'll tell you!!!!"
:D

Smarty

Yes I know I am working on it men. I do study everyday but I have just been studying on climbing techniques and practicing tieing my knots. Once I get a lil better at doing those things I will start doing more tree identification research. I'm soakin this stuff up though!

Re: Smarty

Originally posted by SpikedSupra
Yes I know I am working on it men. I do study everyday but I have just been studying on climbing techniques and practicing tieing my knots. Once I get a lil better at doing those things I will start doing more tree identification research. I'm soakin this stuff up though!

Did somebody else sign in on your ID? :confused: I thought for sure I was gonna see sparks when you got to Budroe's post! (As I start handing money to JPS, paying my bet)

Learning about YOU

Yeah well,
I'm gettin to know how you "Jacklegs"(as Brian would put it) think. I'm starting to understand the personalities on here. I am not going to take anything personal on here anymore. I knew that Budroe was making light of all that has happened since I got here. I really am over it all and I am sure you are too. I know how I am perceived here and albeit its not the exact way i would have liked to have been perceived because its a bit distorted of how I really am as a person but all I got to say is "F@%$ It." We are getting cooler with each other now and thats whats more important.....maybe you guys will see my true colors now that my guard isnt so up.

Latest posts

Back