mystery carb. 038 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up an 038 super with a tillotson carb. ( this is the oddest carb ive seen, cant see anything that looks like a conventional metering diaphragm) I would like to rebuild it, but have no idea which one it is!!? I can find any markings on the carb other than it's a Tillotson. Any smart guys here? ThanksIMG_2205.jpegIMG_2206.jpegIMG_2208.jpegIMG_2210.jpegIMG_2209.jpegIMG_2211.jpeg

Do not waste your time on this carb. Known problem child due to plastic spacer. Stihl even gave up on them. Have many hours trying to get them right. The plastic plate wears and warps.

Ditto to this. I chased problems with a 038 for a long time, ended up being that stupid plastic plate. That carb had also come off of another 038 that had a toasted top end, I wonder how it got that way...

That replacement tillotson will work, so will a Bing if you somehow run across one.
I also have a Raisman carb, made in Brazil, that I put on a 038 super that runs good, seems like it was around $25-$30 on ebay.

Tillotsion sells new direct replacements.

HE-19A. $44 USD

https://tillotson.ie/shop/he19a-carburetor/

"Part of the Tillotson Xchange line, the HE-19A is an ideal replacement carburetor for older Stihl 038, MS 38 and MS 381 chainsaws. This is a fully adjustable version not permitted for use on engines designed to meet EPA Phase III emission standards."

Tillotsion sells new direct replacements.

HE-19A. $44 USD

https://tillotson.ie/shop/he19a-carburetor/

"Part of the Tillotson Xchange line, the HE-19A is an ideal replacement carburetor for older Stihl 038, MS 38 and MS 381 chainsaws. This is a fully adjustable version not permitted for use on engines designed to meet EPA Phase III emission standards."
just found one on amazon for 35$ and ordered one ,thanks

Tillotson HE-19A is a direct replacement, around $50 dollars on eBay last I checked.
So, got the HE 19 today and I’m thinking I either got the wrong carb or my throttle rod is TOO LONG (every one says that to me). It’s in position, but the idle screw comes nowhere near to close to touching the Doohickey. It needs to adjust. The throttle Rogers, long enough that it doesn’t come all the way back down to an idle position. I’m guessing the solution is to bend the rod, and make it shorter.image.jpgimage.jpg

I will look again, but as far as I can tell there's only one way to install the throttle rod, and I never removed it from the trigger, so nothing has changed. I will look more closely with my ancient. eyes, but the end of the rod is in the notch it operates the butterfly correctly, it just cant return to the idle spot.

Latest posts

Back