Mystery new jersey rainbow wood: help ID!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
Reaction score
So i was doing a little splitting yesterday and split a couple chunks of this stuff..i was amazed how much the inside looks kind of like the black walnut ive been splitting with that deep rich purple, but obviously not dark enough and too many other colors in it. what do you guys think? is the wood rotting, is that whats causing it? or is this the natural color of the wood? its hard to tell from my cheap digital camera pics, but the colors are very vibrant, ranging from rich dark greens, light green, very bright blues and purple. im hoping this is something cool and not just some poplar that started to rot with cool colors:greenchainsaw:

so let the games begin!
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums
/jj26/sean12344321/?action=view&current=44.jpg
33.jpg

11.jpg

22.jpg

44.jpg

Last edited:
im voting its a older quaking aspen aka poplar
yes it does resmeble walnut in the heartwood area but in general
it looks to me more like a quick growing less dense softer wood
and the bark looks poplar-ish which gets the dark center and purple streaks in it

if you had a shot of the end of the piece as to see if th center of wood id dark with a outer ring or lighter color I might agree with walnut but it sure looks alot like some mulberry splits that I have laying in my stack of wood due to the bark and coloer of wood grain... im not sure sure about walnut...

how many types of walnut are there?
i know we have a couple black walnut trees around the house here that drop the actual black walnuts on my truck roof all the time, i cut one down last year for that reason and it was very dark inside and heavier
this wood here came from a GIANT tree about 30 miles south of me, it was a big lead (probably 16-18" diameter) coming off the main trunk , the tree it grew from is a MONSTER, this thing must be 4'+ diameter at the trunk

so we got:
4 votes for Walnut
3 votes for poplar
1 undecided

... the fun continues :)
i love these types of threads :greenchainsaw:

if its still unresolved within the next couple days after this rain stops, ill bring my camera with me and take some pictures of the monster tree it came off, that should make it easier i would think, still got some un-split rounds too, just not here

tell us more about the tree where was growing what other trees were around it does it split easy what does it smell like heavy or light etc? im thinking white walnut

the chunks i split came from a big 4'+ diameter tree growing in a low lying area about 100 yards from a natural spring fed pond, in very sandy soil, there is basically no smell, i honestly dont know how it split, my friend split the only few rounds of it that we did split with an 8# maul pretty easy and it was almost 20" diameter i would say, the wood does not look like its in very good condition , almost like its starting to rot on the outside of the rounds, but the inside is nice hard good wood, except for the crazy colors, its been sitting inside drying for 2 days now, there is light and dark purples, almost pinkish purple, blue light and dark, greens, its pretty cool looking but i dont think its natural, i burnt a bit of black locust this winter and it was totally different, it had the thick stringy bark skin stuff under the actual bark, that u c an peel off and use under the kindling, this rainbow stuff is nothin like that

*5-5 tie between walnut and poplar so far.
my vote doesnt count, although i have thought it was rotting poplar and still do, but its just a guess

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back