Mystery new jersey rainbow wood: help ID!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this bark does kind of remind me of the walnut though,it seems every time i have cut up a walnut tree it always has light moss covering all of it like this picture, other than that, and the but of purple inside, i cant say it looks like the other walnut on the same property
22.jpg

theoretically , if i was jimmy of S&S, is there a market for mineral stained wood like this? these colors are crazy.. maybe some hippy wood worker might like it?
44.jpg

Last edited:
My vote is for poplar, you don't see to many 4+ foot diameter black walnut trees. The bark doesn't seem to match either.

Here is bark from a young black walnut:
attachment.php

Heres bark from an older tree:
attachment.php

I've got some wood similar to that here (in NJ) too. I'm not sure what it is. So my vote is. It burns good though

Undecided.

Mark

So i was doing a little splitting yesterday and split a couple chunks of this stuff..i was amazed how much the inside looks kind of like the black walnut ive been splitting with that deep rich purple, but obviously not dark enough and too many other colors in it. what do you guys think? is the wood rotting, is that whats causing it? or is this the natural color of the wood? its hard to tell from my cheap digital camera pics, but the colors are very vibrant, ranging from rich dark greens, light green, very bright blues and purple. im hoping this is something cool and not just some poplar that started to rot with cool colors:greenchainsaw:

so let the games begin!
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums
/jj26/sean12344321/?action=view&current=44.jpg
33.jpg

11.jpg

22.jpg

44.jpg

liquidamber tree or tulip

Last edited:
its mineral stained poplar. yes there is a market for it,let me know if you want to sell it.

if you wernt in georgia , i would love to sell you some :(

how do they get like that while attached to the tree? you think the whole tree could be like that? the thing is HUGE

if you wernt in georgia , i would love to sell you some :(

how do they get like that while attached to the tree? you think the whole tree could be like that? the thing is HUGE

not exactly sure what causes it ,maybe a spot of soil with a high metal content? i would say if part of the tree has it it should run thru the whole thing. not all poplar does this,the most common coloration other than a white/offwhite is a nice dark/olive green.

if you can get some nice black/dark purple squares 2x2x 12" let me know we can work something out. other than cedar, min stained pop is my favorite wood for turkey calls.

not exactly sure what causes it ,maybe a spot of soil with a high metal content? i would say if part of the tree has it it should run thru the whole thing. not all poplar does this,the most common coloration other than a white/offwhite is a nice dark/olive green.

if you can get some nice black/dark purple squares 2x2x 12" let me know we can work something out. other than cedar, min stained pop is my favorite wood for turkey calls.

man i wish i had a little mill and id be all over that, i have a piece inside my house looking at it, and its beautiful

is it light like poplar or of medium weight like walnut and did you ever hear of white walnut?

id say maybe medium weight, its not light like my last mystery wood, the sassafras, but its not heavy like some wet locust or cherry, no ive never heard of white walnut

id say maybe medium weight, its not light like my last mystery wood, the sassafras, but its not heavy like some wet locust or cherry, no ive never heard of white walnut

where did you get the wood is there anymore like it can you get pics of the same type of tree standing I need a little more to go on .also if its close enough to go back look for old walnuts on the ground.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back