N.H. Utilities May Get More Tree Trimming Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Perhaps of interest to my fellow New Englanders, and to those living in other areas affected by massive ice storm damage this winter:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=10034291&nav=4QcS

N.H. Utilities May Get More Tree Trimming Power

Concord, New Hampshire - March 19, 2009

New Hampshire lawmakers are considering giving utilities more tree trimming power in the wake of December's devastating ice storm.

A Senate committee is hearing a bill that would allow utilities to cut, prune and remove trees on private property after giving the owners 45 days notice. Under current law utilities need permission to work on private property.

More than 400,000 people lost power because of downed utility lines, and the clean-up and repairs cost more than $75 million. There is also a bill pending in the House calling for tougher penalties for utilities that fail to maintain power line corridors.

Thats great, one of the best things I have heard in a while. It is really one of those ideas that is good for the majority of users. When a tree that should have been cut down fails and rips the line down, leaving people in the dark and worse, why should it have happened? Selfish, its all about me. I have found older people to be better about utility removals, you can reason with most of them.

I am an ISA and NH Certified Arborist and have seen the tree hacks that the utilities have. Makes me very sad.

I hope they do better work than what I usually see, but I know that they don't care.

Too bad.

Hmm. i live near concord in New Hampshire i remember a few years ago asplundh came and cut all the trees near the power lines for the entire road.

but lots of trees still fell.

those birch's really bend over when heavily waited with ice!

Hmm. i live near concord in New Hampshire i remember a few years ago asplundh came and cut all the trees near the power lines for the entire road.

but lots of trees still fell. :monkey:next time tell them to clear cut tom trees

i am and arborist four 34 years now here on L I N Y and my other tree service in st pete fla my post that are by me tom trees my sons may post are by them:cheers: tom trees

Latest posts

Back