NAME THAT TREE! January Edition!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I was granted permission from a local farmer to cut down this very large oak tree(easily over 3 ft at dbh) from the middle of an open field. Perfect! Except what I thought was a white oak from the road has leaves like those in the pics. The bark at the base and trunk is very deeply grooved and wide. I wish I had the right USB cable to transfer the pics of the whole tree from my phone!:censored:

Sooo, Name That Tree! Winner gets the convertible AND the model standing beside it!

I gotta ask.....why do you put your name at the end of every post with no puncuation ever? It just kinda drives me crazy a little at a time..... sorry...no harm meant...lol.

It drives EVERYBODY nuts....

thats just tom trees and thats just the way it is sorry about your luck tom trees

I'll be danged! I've never even heard of chestnut oak! The leaves look alot like the ones in this link:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/commontr/chestnut.htm

Although the ones I have aren't as long(maybe just immature examples).

Its definately NOT A PIN OAK!:dizzy:

Our Chestnut Oaks have a very similar leaf but they are big. Your second pic is the one that made me think of "Rock" Oak. The first pic is definitely too small.

Even Chestnut Oak saplings have big leaves.

The leaves aren't really "lobed" like an English Oak leaf, though. Thats why the tree has me stumped. I thought all oak leaves had more pronounced lobes than this one. It may not be a chestnut oak, but thats the closest I've seen so far...

Back