NAME THAT TREE! January Edition!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was chestnut oak. It's related to white oak/in the white oak family, anyway, as the leaves have rounded lobes and not pointed.

If it's gona be firewood, it's gonna be good firewood.

The leaves aren't really "lobed" like an English Oak leaf, though. Thats why the tree has me stumped. I thought all oak leaves had more pronounced lobes than this one. It may not be a chestnut oak, but thats the closest I've seen so far...

Not an english oak. Some kind of white oak would be my guess. My 084 with a 40" bar would feel comfortable falling that tree. Or we could use the 075. Or the 056 super with a 28" bar. hahaha

I'm not gonna argue but bur oak gets my vote.

I'll admit I could vote swamp white just about as easily.

Oak Identification

From the land of big saws and little bars "could be any of several oaks" here is a link to a good oak identification chart along with habitat and other distinguishing features

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/compare-oaks.htm

Without knowing some other features I would guess swamp white oak or english oak. I have seen english oak leaves that look very similar. Let us know!

Stihl 192T
Stihl 036
Jonesered 2171
Husqvarna 395 XP

Favorite saw is the one I am cutting with (all good)

I can tell you the white oak test pick a big round up if your nads are on the
ground you got it .The heaviest wood i think i ever cut:givebeer:

Thanks for the informative link, Warlock!

After listening to all the arguments and looking at more pics I think I'm going to be cutting down one monster white oak, possibly a swamp white oak. Although its standing in the middle of a fairly dry field now it could've been a swamp over 100 years ago when it started growing. The leaves I have don't indent like the english oak pics I've come across but I only have a small sample of the leaves too.

Two other clues:
The branches of the tree have many small twiggy "branchlets" coming off them,too. Its going to be a chore limbing this thing!

The bark definately looks like a white oak when the branches get in the 8" diameter range. light colored segmented sections.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'll have to send all the winners a pic of your "prize"!

P.S. Anyone got a 4' chainsaw bar handy?:)

Back