Napolean's new 1450 Pedastal wood stove- No ash pan...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking for a new woodstove to install over the summer, as my old Ashley wood stove is getting tired. After doing some research, I had decided on getting a Naplean 1400 pedastal stove in black steel, which I found for about $1350 including shipping.....

However today I found out that Napolean just came out with a new model called the 1450. Its based off the 1400 with the same performance, but a few less options. They ONLY option that I would miss is the ash pan.... I burned wood 24/7 all winter the last two winters, and have never had a stove without an ash pan. I would have to let the fire go out and shovel the ashes out???? I wouldn't be able to keep the fire going 24/7 like I do now.

If only the 1450 had the ash pan option, its such a great price at $899 shipped.

http://www.zoobler.com/product.php?sku=1450&m=1450+EPA+Independence&b=Napoleon&c=

I have the model 1400 pedestal stove with the ash pan. I hardly ever use it myself. I just scoop them out into a bucket. It just seems easier than trying to rake the ashes over into the little hole in the bottom when you have a fire going. Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

so you scoop out the hot coles and ashes into a bucket while you have a fire going?

The 1400 doesn't have a grate in the bottom? You have to scrape the ashes into a small hole to get them into the ash tray?

My questions might seem silly but I have only ever used this one stove and it has a grate in the bottom with an ash pan underneath it. As the wood burns the ashes drop by themselves into the ash pan. With a full fire going I can just pull the ash pan out and empty the ash into a bucket. I can't imagine not having that feature?

Maybe I am missing something here but how exactly can you scoop the ashes out of the stove with a fire still burning on top of them? Maybe with a more efficient stove the ash burns more completely so it doesn't build up as much? How long can you guys go with the 1400 before you have to empty the ashes out?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I have a stove with grate and ash pan and the instructions with it state that you should always keep a couple of inches of ashes on top of the grates for insulation to keep from burning them out. I can pull the pan out and nothing falls through unless you rake the grates a bit.

I usually just let the fire burn down a bit and before adding more wood i scoop out the excess ash when needed, which is usually only once a day. I don't have a whole lot of ash to deal with. And yes, you have to rake the ash over into a 4" square hole into the ash pan. And the little door usually gets hung up and you have to mess with it or it will get too much air causing the fire to get too hot. It's really a pain in the :censored: to use.

I have no ash pan and we burn 24/7. I pull the ashes to the front corners of the stove and scoop them out either in the mornings or evenings when I get off work and the fire is lower. I don't have to scoop them out more than a couple times a week. Usually in the morning you can scoop some off of the front that is completely burnt out and then some off of the front corners and sides with out having to rake too many coals into the middle. Pull the coals to the front center and load wood and you are ready to go.

My stove manual says to leave 1" or so mininum ash bed in the stove at all times, so it never gets completely cleaned out.

Don

Just ordered a Durango from Menards $700.00. http://www.vogelzang.com/tr008.htm It has no ash pan but the Fisher I am using now does not either. When I open the stove to add wood I shovel the ash out of the front then use a pocker to pull the ash from the back to the front. The Fisher holds 33" logs I will miss that but the Durango is EPA certified It should use a lot less wood and create less ash. Although it may be harder to start with a 30FT. chimney..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back