narrow kerf vs regular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck futter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Evryone is claiming that the narrow kerf chain is much faster, and I certainly understand the principle. Has any one made any time cuts comparing full chisel chain to narrow kerf chain? Has anyone weighed the the different chains themselves apple to apple? What is the width difference of the cuts from each? What effect does the drive link on the 95vp have on cutting speed? I understood that style to be used for kickback reduction, or lower vibration.
I'd love some hard facts weight, cut speed, videos.

Thanks gentlemen

Lucky

Hi lucky, I just timed some chains last Saturday. Used a 346 and made 1 cut with each in 9x9 poplar. Will do some videos in a week when I get home from vacation. Here are times;
Oregon 95VP--64 links--2.34 sec -7 tooth
Oregon 73LG--60 links--2.13 sec -7 tooth - round filed
Oregon 73LG--60 links--1.91 sec -7 tooth - square filed

Thank you

so it looks like the full chisel 3/8 chain is definately faster what about an oregon 33? I don't have all the bars and chains and equipment to do this comparison I might be interested in a narrow kerf set up but the preliminary info looks like a regular chisel chain might be right in there and not worth the money. I got the idea about the videos from ehp's room. with the videos you can see and hear how a saw is doing, I think ecspecially hear the difference. Is the 346 one that ed ported, or is it stock?

look forward to your information

Lucky

The saw was one that Ed did for my brother-in-law. We gave up on the Oregon 33/34 chain long ago. A 20/21 is faster, safer chain, for the work we do here. I have been filing chains for 20 years, brother-in-law for 25. For most non-pro users with small saws the 95 VP is probably the fastest, safest, and easiest to maintain an edge. When my 346 gets here from Ed next week tell me which chain or chains you would like to see cut and I will post them. I have over 75 chains hanging in the shop and saws from 45-122cc to try them on.

I believe the chain is designed for mostly smaller engine sized saws that turn higher RPM - it tends to keep the chain speed up.

It probably does nto amount to any savings on medium to larger sized saws...

NKchains are designed for saws below 57 or 59 CC's I believe. I am convinced they are not adequate for much anything over that and that is the maximum.

I think the 346 is a good test platform and I'm excited to see the results. The bumper tie strap is what plaques me about the whole narrow kerf chain if part of the logic is a weight reduction, how much weight does the bumper tie strap add back in to the equation? I imagine the manufacturers add the bumper to ensure each tooth is cutting closer to equal, more of a constant strain because they have somewhat weaken the integrity. As far as the test I would like to see the 20 series, 30 series, 95vp, and a stihl RS. so thats a full kerf chisel with bumper, a full kerf chisel with out bumper, a narrow kerf semi chisel with bumper, and stihls full kerf chisel. Are there any that anyone would like to throw into the mix? Also if you could take any personal notes on the feel of each chains cut. more vibe, less vibe, grabby......
I'm leaving on vacation for a couple of weeks if you don't see me post after the results, I'll be back. I think this "science experiment" will put some hard figures behind the theory and be a great service to this site. I can't wait to see the results.

Lucky

Stihl Crazy said:
Hi lucky, I just timed some chains last Saturday. Used a 346 and made 1 cut with each in 9x9 poplar. Will do some videos in a week when I get home from vacation. Here are times;
Oregon 95VP--64 links--2.34 sec -7 tooth
Oregon 73LG--60 links--2.13 sec -7 tooth - round filed
Oregon 73LG--60 links--1.91 sec -7 tooth - square filed
As that saw is modded, I think the .325 chain should have been tested with 8-pin sprocked as well to make it a fair comparison (about same chain speed as 3/8"x7).
It would be very interesting to see 20- or 21LP, and Stihl 23- or 25RS included as well.
I sure look forward to seeing more test results! :Eye: :Eye: :)

Last edited:
I did a test awhile back and somewhat remember the results but not the times. The chains were all tested on a stock husky 350. The oregon 95vp was the fastest. Stihl rs and oregon 20lp were pretty close to each other. The stihl rs was faster in small wood but it takes a bigger bite and I believe it came out behind the 20lp in bigger wood. The 33lg has a really small low profile tooth and was somewhat slower. The 95vp was the smoothest, followed by the 33lg. The 20lp was a little rougher, but still not bad. The stihl chain I found to be rough and grabby, almost like the chain was too aggressive for that particular saw. On a bigger 50 cc saw (like a 357 or 359) or a modified saw, I think the results would be different. I think the stihl rs would probably be the fastest, possibly followed by 20lp. On a stock saw around 50 ccs, I dont think you can beat the 95vp.

Hi Brent,

My findings and conclusions are essentially identical to yours. I also ran a few loops of 20NK chain that was sent to me in a challenge to the 95vp and found that the 95vp always bested the NK in cut speed but durability was similar.

This discussion of optimal chain type, narrow vs standard, is somewhat interesting but I believe the emphasis is misplaced. The most significant features affecting performance are 1st, chain sharpness and raker clearance, and 2nd, chain profile as in chisel vs semi-chisel. Saws above 3 hp can normally cut faster with 3/8 chain if assuming a reasonbly skilled operator. Saws below 3 hp normally have dramatically improved performance with NK chain. Saws between 3-4 hp are a gray area.

Follow Lobo`s advice, keep it sharp!

Russ

brent denny said:
....The stihl chain I found to be rough and grabby, almost like the chain was too aggressive for that particular saw.....
The observations you posted seem very logic to me - no surprices there! :)
Part of the roughness of the .325 RS may be due to the fact that these chains doesn't have an anti-vibe chassis. The RSC is only availiable in 3/8" so far for some reason.

Latest posts

Back