Narrowed to 4 saws (feedback please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay, I'm looking for expert opinions.
I think I have narrowed my list to 4 medium sized saws.

Here goes:

Husky 346 xp
Husky 353
Husky 359

Echo 510

The 346 and 510 are close in price. The 359 is 30 bucks more.
Don't know much about the 353. Any thoughts?
By the way, I don't like my Stihl dealer..

Even though I have had problems with mine I would have to recommend the 346xp. I appear to be the only one on here to have had any problems with the 346xp as of yet:rolleyes: It IS a pro grade saw and since you have listed it as an option that you are considering then why not buy the pro saw vs. the home owner grade saw???

Is the 359 a consumer grade saw? I was having trouble distinguishing between the two on a couple of saws..

The 346 looks like a winner all around so far.

i think any of the saws u mentioned
are gonna do pretty good.
the 346 is the lightest and according to specs puts out mucho power . if u are mainly talking bucking trunks mabe one of the heavier saws. but if i was gonna have just one . of those saws, it be the 346xp.

Hi Yellowdog, welcome to the forum. I may have missed some of the history to your saw search, I`ve seen in another post how you want something lighter than your 372, but in order to give a specific recomendation we will need to hear what the saw will mostly be used for. For example, are you planning to use it for limbing felled trees, bucking and felling trees >16", groundies saw, thinning timber stands.....? If you can tell us more specifically what your intentions are you may get alot of more useful info.

Russ

Jokers,
Yep, the Huskies get confusing because, for example, the 359 has so many of the same features listed on, for example, the 357xp.

Anyway, I use my bigger saw for cutting up large stumps dry and new. I need a medium saw for general limb work and cutting crotches off of trees to facilitate chipping. Occasional cutting of firewood length live oak and red oak (8-12" trees). We have a lot of oak wilt trees here with hard, dry wood. It is difficult to cut. I am looking for a primary saw to replace a Poulan Pro 315.

Thanks!

:)

You would be buying an out of date saw in the 651SP.

I would go for the 2151/353 or the 2159/359. But if weight is your main concern, then the 346.

You will find the Echo 510 reliable but slightly heavy for a 50cc class saw. I would want the 2159/359 before it.

The differences in prices amortized over the life of the saws is insignificant.

346 xp now high on list. Lots of good feedback on this site. How much difference is there between the 357xp and 359 and does anyone know how much more "pro" the xp's are then, say the 359? Husky doesn't do a good job of explaining!

BTW, is $363 a good price on a 346xp?

Yellowdog, I am shopping almost the same list, with the inclusion of the Stihl 260 and maybe the 290. I keep shopping internet sites and one called www.southwestfastener.com has pretty good Husky prices. So far I have been unable to find an equivalent site or any source that gives prices for the Stihls. I have seen the 260 for about 450.00 at a local dealer. My main question is how many of the people here have bought saws over the internet (or mail order) versus the local guy. How well does that guy honor warranty work on the saw not purchased there? Didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry. Clem.

Hi Yellowdog, this is what you need, a brandnew Arctic 026 Arctic, made in Germany, used once, better than described, cool extras, manuals, 16" 325, as issued, money back gaurantee, no strings, muffler port opened 1:1., no dings, scratches, mint. Good deal, 385.00 U.S. delivered. Check my Ebay feedback- Sunlover3
John

That last part is good advice. My only concern is I already use a Husky and like the way it feels. I had a stihl that I really disliked when I first moved to this area. Alot of it had to do with having a poor dealer. I think I will go see another Stihl dealer this week just to see what's up.

Ryan, I should send you some of those Stihl underwear that I got from AJLogger!

Yellowdog, the 359 is as good a quality saw as the 357xp, the difference being in the way the cylinder is made and ported. My hangup is that I want the highest power to weight ratio I can get so I would not buy the 359 vs the 357xp.

The saw Gypo has offered is a good deal and you would not be disappointed, IF you wanted a Stihl. I don`t think you need an Artic in Texas either but it could be an interesting converstaion piece.

Given your intended uses Yellowdog, the 346 is a good choice as well as the 2152/353 as Tony pointed out. The 346 is demanding of skilled use and meticulous chain care, if this doesn`t describe you, go for the 2152/353 which is a high quality saw even though it is not designated an XP. All things being equal, the 353 will cut abit slower but it is more forgiving of user error.

Husky288, if the 651SP is truly 3.6hp, why can the 346 spank it so easily? Food for thought.

Russ

Russ do you have it in a medium???LOL:D I stihl want to try a Jonsered but there isn't a dealer anywhere near me that I am aware of and I can't get anyone at tilton on the phone to find out:mad: Russ I still say that dealer support is the most important but I just happen to have a preferance for stihl (not that you could notice or anything:rolleyes: ):angel:

Gypo, I live in South Texas..
I think I want a little more than a 260. I mostly cut on ashe juniper. It is a softer wood but sticky and sometimes the trunks get very large. Most of it isn't thick but it is so sticky and really a mess to work in and around.
With that saw ported, what does it add to the saw?

Originally posted by jokers
The 346 is demanding of skilled use and meticulous chain care,

I have read in other posts that the 346xp requires meticulous chain care. Why is this so? How is this different than any other saw, such as the 026?

As long as it the same chain and USER then what saw its on won't make an differance as to care of the chain. If you are constantly putting your bar and chain in the dirt and hitting rocks and debris then you're going to be doing alot of mantinance!! What I think you are talking about is the out board clutch, that makes it more difficult to remove/replace the chain and sprocket as opposed to an inboard clutch.

Latest posts

Back