Near Perfect Day for Cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillNole

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Forecast for today was PC with a hi temp in the low 60's along the Cheese Line. My son and I got up early and headed out for a great day in the woods cutting up and loading some trees downed a few months back. We worked them previously, up until it got too hot to be fun anymore...

Loaded the truck and headed out with visions of a couple of great loads of perfect rounds brought home for splitting! All was almost perfect. I say almost...

After scouting things out and setting our plan of attack, I got started cleaning up a little overgrowth that had popped up in the past few months since our last visit. After a few minutes of this, I laid into a midsize elm log of about 12" diameter that was easy to access at just about waist height and dropped about a half-dozen 16" rounds to the ground. All still good!

While clearing just moments before, I noticed a number of what appeared to be flies buzzing around, but didn't think enough of it to take a second look. (My first mistakes...) I kept cutting and continued to see the "flies", but still didn't think anything of it, as it was such a perfect day in the woods with my son and the birds chirping and crickets cricketing and squirrels making that squirrel sound. Temp was about 50 degrees so the sweatshirt was just about perfect.

After just enough time for the "flies" to assess the overall situation at hand and take position appropriately to their priorities, I suddenly realized exactly what they were. They weren't flies! I felt that familiar "zap" on the back of my neck that produces the transition in my mind from ignoring the flies to hitting the kill switch on the saw and running full speed through the woods whilst flailing with my free hand. I pulled the one off my neck while running to see that it was a yellow jacket. By the time I reached the clearing where my son was, maybe 75 feet or so, I'd felt another on my wrist, on my shoulder, my chest and my ankle. I stripped in all of about 10 seconds while my son took great joy in slapping me silly with his gloved hands. I was shocked at how many shook out of my sweatshirt and shirt a few minutes later after things had settled down. I "only" got stung a dozen times total, but there were easily twice that many that I shook out.

It seems I'd been stepping directly on their nest repeatedly, which they'd built in a rotted out and previously trampled down hollow log that was mostly underneath the layer of ground covering. I suppose they did me a bit of a favor by waiting so long to attack, but I bet they'd been stabbing at the loose sweatshirt for awhile before the one finally found my bare neck.

We decided to clear out and wait until next spring to go after these trees again and just drive home. On the way, another one got me on my left forearm and then one more on my left ankle while I was driving. (How the heck did I miss those guys??!?!?! I'll later learn how, which proves to be my second mistake...)

If I had to be stung by anything, I guess yellow jackets were the things, as they hurt, but not really enough to cause anything other than aggravation. I did learn something today though. (That second mistake I mentioned...) Apparently, when yellow jackets attack, they "tag" the aggressor with a chemical marker and will continue to go after them if they're in or even return to the area, while mostly ignoring others. My little hitch hikers that tagged along for the ride home to remind me of the events must have hitched a ride after I went back to get my wedges and gloves that I'd flung off while running, as one had gotten me on the hand also while running.

I know a dozen stings isn't that big of a deal compared to what others have received, but it was enough to derail our plans for a beautiful day cutting.

Anyone else have any stories to share regarding interactions with critters while cutting?

Seven years ago I was clearing some overgrowth off of a clearing and my saw just gave out, I was pissed. It was Dad's turn to buy a new saw, so we went into town and ended up with a spiffy new 440 Stihl. As I went back to clearing the ground around a couple of smaller trees was soft walking over it. Not a minute later a cloud appeared around my legs. Unlike you, I'm paranoid about those things. Unfortunately, they started tagging me before I could make an escape. I threw, yes THREW the saw to the ground and ran up the driveway getting popped along the way until I got to my parents house for safety. Probably 8-10 hits. A bit later I walked tentatively down the driveway to get the saw, it was sitting there idling away. I grabbed it and went down the driveway to the house to end my work for the day. I promptly got on the computer, got a room for the family down at the beach and left the next day. A man has to know his limitations.

Shea

Apparently, when yellow jackets attack, they "tag" the aggressor with a chemical marker and will continue to go after them if they're in or even return to the area, while mostly ignoring others.

Yes, when they sting, they release a pheromone(scent) that tells the other hornets that there is danger here. And the others also respond by attacking the area the scent was released near. Good news is that it will wash off in the shower, so no problem returning to the area, as long as it's off your clothes.

Amazing how much those suckers hurt!

Me and a partner were cutting down a standing dead walnut. Came down with no problems when I notice what look like yellow rope inside the hollow trunk. About the same time I see the sky filled with honey bees. Got the partner out of there and we left it till cooler weather. Neither one of us got stung and I found out my partner is very alergic to them. Someone was watching over us.

Yes, when they sting, they release a pheromone(scent) that tells the other hornets that there is danger here. And the others also respond by attacking the area the scent was released near. Good news is that it will wash off in the shower, so no problem returning to the area, as long as it's off your clothes.

Amazing how much those suckers hurt!

I suppose that I must have known this at some point, but it escaped me during the events. I cautiously walked back to retrieve my wedges and gloves and didn't think to be more than just a little cautious, or to have my son check me over after I got back out of the area again. They must have latched on for the ride home and found their way into my sleeves and pants legs by the time we were driving.

One of life's lessons, I guess.

They do hurt, but not much more than a horse-fly. The difference being that the bite stops hurting pretty quick, while the sting carries on for awhile.

Fortunately, I'm not allergic to any of these things. I know this from experiences of growing up... I don't know though if my son might be. I'm glad he didn't get stung, but part of me wishes he might have received just one to find out how he reacts, since he was with me at the time, as opposed to being alone, or with someone not prepared to react. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to get hurt, but knowing these things is usually better than not. Having grown up as I did in FL, always outside, it's almost hard for me to grasp how a boy can reach 14 and never having been stung or bitten by a snake or two or anything of the sort! It's not that we don't let him do things, but he's just very risk-averse and cautious in life and has avoided these things. Good for him! I think... :msp_unsure: That's life in the suburbs.

Yesterday was cool here also... 63° was the warmest part of the day. I figured on cuttin' a blow-down from this spring (dead elm) but it was in a really overgrown area. There's a few other standing-dead in that same area so I spent a fair share of the day clearing a new logging road/trail in the woodlot rather than cuttin'... figure that will make harvesting all of them somewhat easier and faster in the end. Turned out to be a lot more work than I thought, underneath all the under-growth was some blow-down Box Elder and a bunch of slash from an Oak I took two years ago... I'm shot today, and I still need to clear a short path and work area for each tree. It'll all be worth it when I do start cuttin' 'cause I'm thinkin' something over 5-cord of mostly ready-to-burn firewood from that little area. Looking at the lean(s), I should be able to clear one work area and drop most into it... work and haul-out one before dropping the next. Besides, there's a couple really big ash trees down in there and I figure the bug will get here sooner-than-later and I'll already have the access road in place.

Last year's drought and DED making another run at my woodlot has really taken a toll on the elms (this time it hit some big ones I previously figured were immune); I've got new standing-dead in several areas... most just starting to drop bark. There's enough standing-dead to keep me busy all winter if I wanted to keep at it.

Oh... I forgot the "critter" part of that story.
Ticks!! Tons of ticks. I must'a pulled thirty of those things off me last light. One was even camped-out between my toes... how in the heck did it get under the sock, inside the boot, and all the way to my toes?? I should'a known the ticks would be thick because I sort'a followed a game trail to make the road... normally that's the path of least resistance, but is also a tick lunchroom.

Last edited:
Yesterday was cool here also... 63° was the warmest part of the day. I figured on cuttin' a blow-down from this spring (dead elm) but it was in a really overgrown area. There's a few other standing-dead in that same area so I spent a fair share of the day clearing a new logging road/trail in the woodlot rather than cuttin'... figure that will make harvesting all of them somewhat easier and faster in the end. Turned out to be a lot more work than I thought, underneath all the under-growth was some blow-down Box Elder and a bunch of slash from an Oak I took two years ago... I'm shot today, and I still need to clear a short path and work area for each tree. It'll all be worth it when I do start cuttin' 'cause I'm thinkin' something over 5-cord of mostly ready-to-burn firewood from that little area. Looking at the lean(s), I should be able to clear one work area and drop most into it... work and haul-out one before dropping the next. Besides, there's a couple really big ash trees down in there and I figure the bug will get here sooner-than-later and I'll already have the access road in place.

Last year's drought and DED making another run at my woodlot has really taken a toll on the elms (this time it hit some big ones I previously figured were immune); I've got new standing-dead in several areas... most just starting to drop bark. There's enough standing-dead to keep me busy all winter if I wanted to keep at it.

Oh... I forgot the "critter" part of that story.
Ticks!! Tons of ticks. I must'a pulled thirty of those things off me last light. One was even camped-out between my toes... how in the heck did it get under the sock, inside the boot, and all the way to my toes?? I should'a known the ticks would be thick because I sort'a followed a game trail to make the road... normally that's the path of least resistance, but is also a tick lunchroom.

Elm has become my favorite wood and is probably 95% of the 3-2/3 cords I have onhand right now. I'll take it over any oak or maple I'm offered occasionally, although I've never passed on Ash or Hickory on the rare instance I come across any. DED has been a real problem and it's so sad to see some of the monsters it's brought down, but I do enjoy the wood I get from it. Most of what I've gotten this year has been from a guy I know that's clearing some woods back along the edge of his yard, to make more room for his young kids to play as they get older. As a kid, I'd have rathered play in the woods than in grass, but it's his yard and I like the wood, so I'm not saying a word...

Ticks seem to have been a problem across the Midwest this year and we've had our share of them too. They're scary in that you may not notice them even after they've latched on and started feeding! Stealthy critters, they be!!!

I am just dreading the day the african bees make it up here to north georgia.

yellow jackets, those little purple wasps, etc, meh, they suck, but you can get away. Them dang african bees chase your sorry butt for as long as it takes to put ya down! And you don't even have to get close to their nest either,

I remember as a kid 'helping' my Dad dig up some sort of rose bush from the sand at our camp/cottage. I was standing to the side when he put his foot on the shovel and gave it a healthy push. Next thing I know he's about three feet off the ground and his pants were off before he came back down. The ground hornets had swarmed straight up his pantleg. :msp_scared: He hit the ground running for the lake with a serious cloud of bees after him, with me standing just a couple of feet away. They never bothered me, but that swarm stayed around him even after he hit the water. We still laugh about that family story.
For someone who's allergic to their venom it can be life-threatening. I would recommend an epinephrine syringe, (called an epi-pen) if you're not sure about your son. Carry it in your first-aid kit. I've had to rush two of my construction helpers to the ER over the years, and it's a very scary experience.
Glad you're both okay. Be safe,
Philo

Elm has become my favorite wood and is probably 95% of the 3-2/3 cords I have onhand right now. I'll take it over any oak or maple I'm offered occasionally, although I've never passed on Ash or Hickory on the rare instance I come across any. DED has been a real problem and it's so sad to see some of the monsters it's brought down, but I do enjoy the wood I get from it. Most of what I've gotten this year has been from a guy I know that's clearing some woods back along the edge of his yard, to make more room for his young kids to play as they get older. As a kid, I'd rather have played in the woods than in grass, but it's his yard and I like the wood, so I'm not saying a word...

Ticks seem to have been a problem across the Midwest this year and we've had our share of them too. They're scary in that you may not notice them even after they've latched on and started feeding! Stealthy critters, they be!

Agreed. Elm is first class firewood, but don't tell anyone else. I've given up convincing people of that. Let everyone else find out that all they need to do is let the rounds sit for three months or so before splitting. Only spiral-grain elm is impossible to split green or dry, but after awhile you can learn to avoid it.

I just brought in another truckload of green American elm today--12" to 24" rounds. Good stuff, and I'll bring in two more truckloads if possible before next week.

Back