need 357 intake boot help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've ordered a new intake boot and clamp for a 357 because the old one looked worn and cracked. I'm taking the old one off and can't seem to get the plastic piece off that holds the intake boot in place. the only think I can think of is I have to pull the cylinder to get this thing out.

Attachments

• IMG_20140215_181001_206.jpg
    IMG_20140215_181001_206.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 15
It looks like the black plastic piece should slide vertically out of the grooves in the body of the saw. Am I missing something? I have never tried this before but I figure the best way to learn is jump in

Well that sucks. I've never taken a cylinder off but I wont be able to say that for very long if that's the correct way to get the intake off.

Yes. The cylinder has to come loose. Probably not completely off if you don't want to fuss with the rings.

Do a google search for "husqvarna 357 workshop manual". I found a pdf to download, it was a bit of a pain to see in adobe, but it got me there.

I used to have a good repair manual bookmarked for that saw, but the link is now dead.

I saw that video and I think that's what applies to the saw I bought. It has a new aftermarket piston and cylinder but i don't think anyone fixed the problem that burned up the original piston and cylinder. Going to take it off and figure it out.
Thanks for the replies and help

You can get the clamp on without removing the cylinder, but it requires tipping the cylinder which means the crankcase is exposed to any junk that might fall in while it's open. It's just as easy to remove the cylinder and while you're at it, remove the base gasket (measure squish of course).

I'm reading up on the whole squish band and how to measure it. It's a little confusing but maybe it will make more sense when I get the right stuff and start doing it. It's definitely something I'd like to do since I ended up taking the saw apart much more than I thought I would.

No, it has a Zama that needs some work. The choke won't open all the way. Got saw, carb, cylinder, etc tore down but I'm waiting on parts.

Latest posts

Back