Need a difficult to locate a chain for an 18" HOMLITE SUPER WIZ 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Lumachi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After some tender loving care in the rebuild of the Tillotson HL240 carburetor, I was finally successful in getting a vintage Homelite Super Wiz 55 chainsaw purring along (with earmuffs of course because of the power level). It was highly rewarding seeing the machine again flexing its muscle and anxious to start with only one pull. The saw was manufactured (circa 1975) at a time in our country's history when American industry was world class. All the chainsaw components are original (OEM) allbleit there are some minor dings and red paint scuffing from use. However, a difficult to locate replacement chain remains the insurmountable problem, because of its specifications. Since that large size chain is no longer supported by industry, it's proving a problem not easily overcome using local resources.
The individual cutters are stamped with the manufacturer's name STIHL and individually marked 1/2. The drive cogs (shark fins) have the number 6 stamped on each unit. From what I can gather, this represents the .063" gauge of the chain track. This was verified with a caliper. There are currently 51 cogs and 25 cutters in the loop. With the loop stretched out and the links parallel, it measures 25-1/2" overall. Each of the 1" chain spacers has the number 14 stamped on it. The bar is OEM Homelite and measures 18" from the tip to the base of the 3/8" slot. The gear driven drive wheel has eight (8) tangs driving the cogs.

As a last resort, I'm hoping I can locate someone on this site who can point the way to locating a replacement chain. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Ron (Scranton, PA area) [email protected]

Ron, we met at the Stihl dealer yesterday. I've been doing some looking around here for stuff that might be helpful to you, but the arboristsite search engine doesn't do well with slashes like we'd use in 1/2. I search through google instead, which works pretty well, using this wording;

site:arboristsite.com/chainsaw/ 1/2

A few threads to get you started:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178321.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/158655.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/148973.htm

Good luck with your project.

Regards, Bill

Replacement Stihl .500" pitch chain saw chain

Hi Bill, thanks for the note. Your interest is appreciated. I've been thinking seriously about the problem and perhaps I can approach it from a different perspective. The 18" OEM Homelite bar is standard with its .063" gauge slot. The problem to overcome is the gear driven drive socket that accommodates the .500" odd-ball chain currently installed. I removed the drive sprocket yesterday and measured some of it's vital dimensions. It's been drilled with a 5/8" bore and has two keyways measuring 3/16". The overall sprocket diameter measures 2-1/4" and there are eight (8) splines. Perhaps I can somehow locate a retrofit drive sprocket with the typical 7 splines, purchase a standard .404" pitch chain, and use the current bar? Might be the way to go especially since locating the Stihl chain, no longer manufactured, is proving difficult to locate.

Ron, I think that it's unlikely that the saw came from the factory with Stihl chain installed, there just happens to be a loop of Stihl chain on your saw. Any brand of 1/2 pitch chain with a .063 driver should be fine. I messaged a guy in one of those archived threads who said he had some chain to sell, but that was back in 2010. He'll be in touch with you if he's interested, he last posted about a week ago, so he's still active on the site.

1/2" Chain pitch

I wholly agree with your premise that the Stihl chain currently installed was retrofitted. I use the specs on the chain as a reference. It functions well on the Homelite but it's pretty worn out. I appreciate your help with the reference you suggested. Hopefully, it will work out well. As I mentioned it might be a good idea to simply change the gear driven drive to a .404" pitch and a .063" gauge, use the current OEM Homelite .063" bar, and eliminate the problem in the future of dealing with hard to locate chain.

Ron, we met at the Stihl dealer yesterday. I've been doing some looking around here for stuff that might be helpful to you, but the arboristsite search engine doesn't do well with slashes like we'd use in 1/2. I search through google instead, which works pretty well, using this wording;

site:arboristsite.com/chainsaw/ 1/2

A few threads to get you started:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178321.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/158655.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/148973.htm

Good luck with your project.

Regards, Bill

Hi Bill I've been in touch with a gent who has several rolls of circa 1970 .500" .063" gauge chain. Looks like I might have gotten lucky meeting you and getting to the Arborist site for assistance. Thanks again and will keep you informed. Ron

Greetings from PA

If your other efforts do not pan out send me a PM, I think I can find a loop of 1/2" pitch chain, 51 DL, in .063 gauge.

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks again for the telephone call. Glad to know that I nailed down at least one chain for the Homelite Super Wiz 55. Best regards, Ron

All's Well that ends well

Special thanks to Mark and Andy (both Arboristsite regulars) for their help in providing the specific .500" pitch .063" gauge chain needed for the vintage Homelite Super Wiz 55 rebuild project. The saw is running perfectly and I have a total of three chains + the one that needed replacement. All I now need is some energy to carry the saw around. Weighs a ton and difficult to drag around the property. Assistance from other helpful respondants also appreciated. Ron
:msp_thumbup:

I'm Good to go with the Homelite Super Wiz

oldmar;3699586]Ron, we met at the Stihl dealer yesterday. I've been doing some looking around here for stuff that might be helpful to you, but the arboristsite search engine doesn't do well with slashes like we'd use in 1/2. I search through google instead, which works pretty well, using this wording;

Hi Bill, thanks again for your directing my attention to the Arborist site. The responses were all friendly. I managed to locate three chains. Two are new Oregon stock and made up to my specifications. They fit like a charm. The third is an inch too long but there may be enough play in the bar adjustment to make up the difference. If not, I have a repair link that will work well. I never handled chains prior to this experience except to sharpen them. From what I read, adjusting length seems easily accomplished with some basic tools. Best regards, Ron

Hi Bill, thanks again for your directing my attention to the Arborist site. The responses were all friendly. I managed to locate three chains. Two are new Oregon stock and made up to my specifications. They fit like a charm. The third is an inch too long but there may be enough play in the bar adjustment to make up the difference. If not, I have a repair link that will work well. I never handled chains prior to this experience except to sharpen them. From what I read, adjusting length seems easily accomplished with some basic tools. Best regards, Ron

Ron, I'm glad that things worked out for you. There's a great bunch of folks here on AS, I'm not surprised that you'd have some success here. The rivets used to join modern sawchain need to be spun with a special tool in order to be safe. I'm not certain that 1/4" chain rivets require a spinner, or that the the spinner at Rob's shop will do 1/4" rivets, but I'll look into it. Just proceed with caution with regards to that longer chain, and let me know if I can help. Congratulations on a successful project.

Ron, I'm glad that things worked out for you. There's a great bunch of folks here on AS, I'm not surprised that you'd have some success here. The rivets used to join modern sawchain need to be spun with a special tool in order to be safe. I'm not certain that 1/4" chain rivets require a spinner, or that the the spinner at Rob's shop will do 1/4" rivets, but I'll look into it. Just proceed with caution with regards to that longer chain, and let me know if I can help. Congratulations on a successful project.

Hi Bill thanks for the note of caution re: shortening chain saw chains. They both arrived the same day so I installed the new chain specifically made up to my specifications. The nice part of the deal was that payment was not made until checked for size. He made the loops to size (51 drive links) and sent it along without any discussion. Very trustworthy. Not too many people would do that. Those two were fabricated from an old spool that the fellow had in inventory The other chain from a second individual (chain saw collector) had the one extra link as I indicated but it appears by laying it out on the bar the tensioning adjustment would pick up the slack. In the event I discover that there is an oversize problem, the gent thoughtfully sent along a brand new repair link just in case if would be too long. When I get around to checking it and discover that it won't fit properly, I'll bring it into your Route 6 friend and have him perform the surgery. For about $100, I now have three new chains but unfortunately not the energy nor the strength to drag that 40lb saw all over the woods to cut some limbs. Regards, Ron

Latest posts

Back