need a good chip truck/chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you have 100k, why start with a chip truck? I am sure you could buy a used truck with a box and a High Ranger boom along with a used Whisper chipper and still have money to fill up the toolboxes with gear. Hit the ground running....

what kind of chipper should i get disk style or drum style and how much help is a hydraulic loader do they really help or are the a pain in the ass to operate

to start a NEW co. i would get used but not abused A 12 inch chipper 14 foot chip truck with nuckle boom crane and small stump grinder 30 hp see how it goes and build company from there because you will nead deposites for insurance comp and liabilty also a little capital to work with payroll ect. good luck

disk or drum

I have a lot of experience with both disk style chippers and drum style chippers. If I were you I would go with a drum style chipper. It is easier to change the blades and the machine is more compact and weighs less. Drum chippers also usually have a larger chipping capacity. Do your homework and find the best chipper that fits your needs. If you are buying used be very careful. Most people beat the crap out of there chippers. It is the nature of the business. Some people will maintain there machines very well even if they are used to their full potiential. Just be very careful buying used. I am currently in the market for a new 15 inch capacity chipper and I am going to go with the Woodsman 15x. I looked at Morbark, Bandit, Vermeer and Woodsman. All these manufacturers put out good products but I felt that the Woodsman 15x was the best built and most durable chipper in that class. That is just my opinion. You might also think about getting a chipper with a winch. I hope this post helps you out. Give me a shout if you need any more input. DFD34

DFD34 said:
I am currently in the market for a new 15 inch capacity chipper and I am going to go with the Woodsman 15x. I looked at Morbark, Bandit, Vermeer and Woodsman.

Of the four brands you looked at, I agree with your choice. The 15X is an excellent chipper, you won't be disappointed.

15x

Right on Koa Man. Even thought the Woodsman name is not big yet, at least out here in Massachusetts, the 15x is a great machine. I know you have read my posts in the large equipment forum before and you agreee with what I have said about the Woodsman. I have nothing to prove or sell here. I just tell my thoughts and findings that I get from my experiences with chippers. Like I have said before, Bandit, Morbark, and Vermeer make a really nice product but in my opinion Woodsmans are superior. They are a compact, powerful, very well built, solid, simple machine. No B.S. about them.

Cphily21. The price that I got on a Woodsman 2006 15x is as follows.
The Woodsman 15x with a 140HP John Deere, Power coat yellow, auto feed with reversing option, telescoping tounge, hand crank swivel chute,block heater, pre-cleaner, hydraulic winch,and shipping for $39,500.00

The Morbark Tornado that I priced out with basicly the same options was the same general price just under 40K. The Bandit 1590 with the same general options came in at a whopping 42,500.00. Vermeer was also under 40k. If you need to know anything else jsut give me a yell.:fart:

Would you like for me to line up a demo with a Cone Head CHipper for You?

I think you would find as good and better chipping machine from them.

908-966-0443

Model 1290 and 1690 Conventional

does any one have any thing good or bad to say about conventional chippers

conventional chippers

They are pretty dangerous machines with small diameter chipping capacities. I thought that you have 100k to spend? Why would you even consider that style chipper? I am sure people on this site would agree to stay away from that style chipper.

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
Do they still call them Coneheads?

I thought the Conehead design had problems and they had switched to a better design.

No problem with the Conehead design, They just added a Discone to the line up, which is one half of the conehead. The Discone is cheaper to produce and will give you some of the conehead performance at a considerably lower price than the full conehead. Both styles have been tested by an independent lab and it showed the tons per gallon of fuel to be 27% or higher compared to discs and regular drum style chippers.

Disclaimer: I am the Dynamic dealer for the state of Hawaii.

cphily21 said:
does any one have any good websites that sell large equipment used or new

It really depends on where you are going to be working. If you are doing lots of residential work I'd go with a GOOD used 1 ton, diesel or gas & 4x4 with a 10-12' dump.

If not and you are mostly going to stay on the road with your truck get a good used bucket @ least 55' or a 2 ton 12-14' dump diesel.

With the chipper go with a Morbark 13 (15" chip),Vermeer BC1230A (12" chip), or Brush Bandit 150XP-250XP (12" chip).(Make sure thier diesel & under 1000hr.s) For a stumpgrinder I'd go with a Carlton 4012 w/ the Lombardini diesel. (The diesels tend to last and out perform the gas motors)

For web site (treetrader.com & heavymachinerytrader.com)
WHO EVER PRICED YOUR MORBARK WAS CRAZY TRY AROUN 33-35K

TreeCo said:
Is that independent lab report available to the public?

Yes it is. In fact Dynamic encourages their dealers to show that report to the prospective buyers. I will post it here tomorrow. Right now I don't have internet access at my present residence. I transferred the line to a house I just started renting and moving into. Got half my stuff in two places.:dizzy:
Should be all moved in my the end of the month, then the excavator will demolish my old house and I will be building a new one.

Back