need a log splitter primer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetick

'N dik boom met 'n klien byltjie kap.
Reaction score
I'm going to need a log splitter. I've been looking at the craigslist ads in my area but don't really know what I'm looking at since I've never owned one before. What should I look at, particularly when I go and have a look-see at the specimen in question? What do I need to know?

IMO It's all about the cycle rate. You can waste a lot of time with a slow retract. 7 seconds is what I want. 20 is too long. Bigger is better in tons(pay the extra for a 30+ ton) A foot switch is a big plus if you are working by yourself.

Look at the condition of the extended cylinder. It should be shiny with no pits.

Doug in SW IA

Which ones have the most easily replaced parts?

Generally the ones spare parts are the easiest to come by are commercial/farm grade models still in production or out of production for no more than a decade.
Most "homeowner grade" splitters are disposable units, both because they are so cheap to begin with and because they use oddly sized parts.

If you have a tractor, even a small one (about 40hp) you should consider a shaft-driven log splitter because there's so little on these that can go wrong. Basically if it doesn't leak, it works.

Unless you are looking to do firewood commercially a 20ish ton "homeowner grade" splitter is probably all you will need. Typically the 20 ton units have a slightly faster cycle time due to their smaller cylinder size. I have a 22 ton Huskee that I bought at Tractor supply about 7 years ago for $900. It has been flawless and split anything I have thrown at it. Between my dad and I we split around 20 cords per year. It was manufactured by Speeco for TSC and I believe they are now branded as countyline.
Another homeowner brand that seems to get high marks is Dirty Hand Tools (DHT) available at several home store chains. Also worth considering IMO is the two way splitter from Harbor freight. One of these days I may just bring one home.

Of course if you are the type that likes to have pro level tools or if you are making a living doing firewood then look at a better splitter but the cheapest splitter out there will do for most wood burning homeowners. I am normally in the pro tool category myself but I can say after almost a decade I am still happy with my Huskee.

a few seconds of cycle time isn't a deal breaker to me. Most times you don't run the splitter all the way through its stroke anyway. Can you or do you want to work fast enough to take advantage of a faster cycle? Most of the time I would guess the answer is no. Especially if you are working solo.

The other thing I found when shopping for splitters is that used splitters tend to hold their value. I rarely see a splitter selling for a few hundred less than you could buy new. Even ugly homemade monstrosities that look like more project than tool. I would advise to buy new.

I have done 40 cord a year for 3 years on a home depot Ariens 22 ton. I hate the log supports on it, but it was worth every penny. I can fill my long bed pickup in 45 minutes splitting from oak or maple 14-16 in rounds. It is real fast when you get the hang of it. You can break a pretty massive log with it too. Never ran a 4 way wedge, as much as I would like to.

Some folks dislike the vertical shaft motor, but it has been running fine. It was pretty cheap and works great. I would buy another one based on my experience.

Latest posts

Back