Need a new bar/chain for my 021

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith717

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I took my 021 to some friends property (40 wooded acres) to have some fun being men. One if my buddies grabbed the saw and went to work on a nice sized black oak that toppled over making nice log seats for us to sit around the fire. Well after about 30-45 min and quite a bit if cutting the oil resivior ran out and he pretty much seized the chain to the bar. Nothing else is damaged as soon as I heard the engine without the chain moving I had him shut it off.

I inherited the saw from my father in law and know nothing about which size bar, what brand bar or what brand/type of chain I should get.

The saw had a 12" bar I think a 14" would be better. I'm just a homeowner that will be using the saw for a wide range if tasks. From trimming/felling Bradford pears to cutting up big oaks at the farm.

Thanks!

Your local stihl dealer should have a suitable replacement in stock. That is probably one of the cheapest and most common saws to get a new bar and chain combo for.

I'd rather order it online, better price, less hassle.

I see that there are other brands of bars that would work. I think I'd like to stick with the Stihl bar, looks better IMO.

It has a Stihl oilamatic bar on it now I believe.

You might not want to put a longer bar on that saw. I think it's a 2 hp saw. Maybe some members who know more than I will offer advice on that. I think an 025 is about 3 hp, and I wouldn't go beyond a 16" bar on that one.

I don't think you'd be happy with a 14" on the 021.

There might be a way to free up that chain, dress the 12" bar, and put it back into use. Then if you really want to get a 14" you could buy one for the bigger limbs and see what you think, switching back to the shorter bar for faster limbing as needed. And if you ever pinch your bar in the cut and hang up your saw, you can remove the power head from the bar, swtch bars, and cut yourself out of the jammed kerf.

You might not want to put a longer bar on that saw. I think it's a 2 hp saw. Maybe some members who know more than I will offer advice on that. I think an 025 is about 3 hp, and I wouldn't go beyond a 16" bar on that one.

I don't think you'd be happy with a 14" on the 021.

There might be a way to free up that chain, dress the 12" bar, and put it back into use. Then if you really want to get a 14" you could buy one for the bigger limbs and see what you think, switching back to the shorter bar for faster limbing as needed. And if you ever pinch your bar in the cut and hang up your saw, you can remove the power head from the bar, swtch bars, and cut yourself out of the jammed kerf.

Yep, the 021 is a 2hp saw. According to one site the 023 is 2.6 and the 025 is 3.

It seems that just getting a new bar might not be that difficult of a decision but there are a lot of different chains.

My second saw was a 021,still have it, and it came with a 16 b/c. Id go with 16 if I was you. The chain size should be 3/8 picco also called lo pro. :smile2:

Thanks to Philbert I may have found what I need.

Between 63PM1-55 chain and 26RMC3-62 chain anyone know which one would be the best?

Between 63PM1-55 chain and 26RMC3-62 chain anyone know which one would be the best?

63PM1-55 = 3/8 low profile ('Picco') pitch , .050 gauge, semi-chisel, low-kickback chain, 55 drive links.

26RMC3-62 = .325 pitch, .063 gauge, semi-chisel, low-kickback chain, 62 drive links.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/.../STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf

The chain has to match your sprocket, bar, and powerhead. The 3/8 low-profile is what is recommended for the MS021 saw.

Philbert

Glad you found your answer. It sounds like you might be looking for a larger saw in the future. I am a homeowner, small farm to maintain. I also volunteer at my church's cemetery for maintenance work. Same stuff, trimming, and small cutting. I use my MS210 (with a 16" bar, 3/8 picco chain) for light limb cutting, nothing larger than 2". It's on the saw to help a 67 yr old back from bending any more than absolutely necessary, not for cutting large diameter stuff. I use my MS290 (20" bar) for the larger stuff. If the wood is too large, I enlist help, I have friends...:msp_tongue:

My equipment is set up and properly maintained to work for me, not a pro woodcutter. If used correctly, it performs well. I don't push it, I keep the chains sharp, so I don't have to work hard. I've had no issues with them set up this way. I say this with great respect for the folks on this forum, who have lots of experience in working with saws. I don't advise anyone to do things the way I do. That's not my place, I only comment because my stuff works well in my small farm situation.

You will get very good advice from those contributors on this forum, it's a great resource.

So I decided on the 63PM1-55 = 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chain and the 3/8 low pro .050, 55DL bar from Philbert. Plus a couple air and fuel filters hopefully. Though I really don't know much about either! I can't seem to find much info on what the different chains are for.

One thing I am sure of though is that regardless, I highly doubt I'd truely be able to tell the difference in them anyway!

If anyone could shed some light on the chain differences/difference in uses that'd be great.

I'm not going to be felling any 70' oaks with it. Even though IMO, it did a hell of a job on that black oak that (because I wasn't paying attention to the bar oil level!) did the bar/chain that was on it in.

The biggest tree I actually have in mind putting horizontal is a 35'-40' Cleveland Pear that in my front yard. It's nearing the end of its useful/attractive life and suffered from blight that I don't feel like fixing too. It's only ~15" dia and shouldn't pose much of a challenge for this saw, even with the 12" bar it came with.

I can't seem to find much info on what the different chains are for.

If anyone could shed some light on the chain differences/difference in uses that'd be great.
If you're dealing with Stihl chains, it can be a full time job just keeping up with their ever changing model terminology and their constant discontinuation and introduction of chain models!

Either way, any Stihl chain with a model number starting with "63" will be correct for your saw, provided you choose the correct length.

I believe that Stihl currently offers two "63" models, the PM3 and the PS3. The PM3 is their standard "green" chain with safety humps (safety humps are designated by the "3" suffix). The PS3 is a slightly more aggressive chain, although it is still considered a "safety" chain for all intents and purposes. I haven't personally used PS3 chain, but have read good things about it. Supposedly it cuts faster, and stays sharp longer.

Some guys like to run Oregon non-safety chain, in which case the Oregon model # would be either 91VX or 91VXL.

Some guys like Oregon chain, others like Stihl. Oregon chain is cheaper, but many believe that Stihl chain offers superior cutter hardness, thus lasting longer, and it is also less prone to stretching.

Myself personally, I have experience with 63 PM3 (which used to be called PMC3. Don't know why they dropped the "Comfort" designation) and with 63 PM (which used to be known as 63 PMC). 63 PM has been discontinued. This was Stihl's non-safety "yellow" chain in 3/8 Picco (low pro). Identical in all regards to the PM3, except it lacked the "safety humps." To be honest, Stihl's regular PM3 safety chain doesn't really cut all that bad compared to the PM! There certainly isn't a "night and day" difference between the two, in my opinion! Thinking back, even the green Stihl "safety chain" was throwing some pretty impressive chips when sharp! I wouldn't be surprised if one of the posters here has done a timed cut using the two, but I haven't.

Other than that, I can only add that a sharp chain is a happy chain, no matter which one you use. I'm sure Saw Troll and others might be able to add more info or corrections, since my 3/8 Picco use is limited to the two Stihl chains mentioned.

Latest posts

Back